Advice re 3.2 QS DSG

daver555

Reaction score
After having my car written off last week I'm going to look at a 2004 3.2 QS DSG tomorrow (fingers crossed). Apart from the usual 2nd hand car checks what in particular should I check for re the 3.2 and specifically the DSG? I hadn't thought about the DSG before and have never driven one so not sure what to look for or check? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated followed by a virtual pint of whatever's your tipple for tonight. Cheers.

Dependant on the mileage check the DSG oil has been changed at 40k/80k along with the haldex oil.

Check that the gear changes are silky smooth (particularly when putting into drive / sport and pulling away). Also check that you can hold the revs steadily when in neutral at 1800ish revs and also check for hesitation when accelerating moderately, again at around the 1800rpm mark... the hesitation issue can be resolved by a software update. DSG issues can cost considerably more to resolve...

Reactions: paddy
Wow, cheers for the speedy info Hellz. Car's mileage is 54k.

No worries, the 3.2 Q is a great car, loved mine.

Just check the above is OK and providing you're happy with the rest you're buying a car that will bring a smile to your chops :)

Yeah, I hope so. Last car was a 2ltr Focus (not ST) so looking forward to some torque! This will be my first Audi and I've wanted one for many years so I've got fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow.

Also listen out for any sign of chain rattle from the gearbox end. A few cars have been affected around that mileage

Also listen out for any sign of chain rattle from the gearbox end. A few cars have been affected around that mileage

Sorry to jump into this thread, but I have been having trouble with a rattling from my A3 S-Tronic with 48000 and wondered what other details you have on this chain rattle? I have been getting noises under cold starts during gear changes between N D and R.

Initially the chains made for 3.2's had the manufacturers name branded on the chain links. This was said to have weakened the chains causing them to stretch or in the worst case scenario snap (very rare I understand). This affected cars built between the years 2003-2005/6, after this the chains werent branded I believe.

For peace of mind it may be worth having a diagnostic scan on the car, in particular the chain tensioners to see where they are at and whether they have adjusted to deal with the stretched chain...

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a more technical explanation!

Initially the chains made for 3.2's had the manufacturers name branded on the chain links. This was said to have weakened the chains causing them to stretch or in the worst case scenario snap (very rare I understand). This affected cars built between the years 2003-2005/6, after this the chains werent branded I believe.

For peace of mind it may be worth having a diagnostic scan on the car, in particular the chain tensioners to see where they are at and whether they have adjusted to deal with the stretched chain...

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a more technical explanation!

How you getting along with the S3 Hellz :) still thinking i will have to make the move one day but i think i will stick with DSG. Having had both 3.2 and S3 your opinion is worth a thousand others who just guess :)

I'll stick a thread with some pics and my thoughts on the transition and my take on ownership to date... I havent really had the time I would like to use it the way I'd like to due to work/home life... I've yet to bond with it the way I did with the 3.2 but its early days! (hope that doesnt sound odd!)

Dosnt sound odd at all mate :) thats why i am still smoking about in mine after 5 years. I desperately need to replace it now but the only real option is the S3 and i have driven a couple of demo's and they left me a little underwhelmed. I would go for a TDi i think if i could have got Quattro and DSG rather than the S3 now. I think the bond is with the CC's and V6. I always think there is a good reason why Porkers went with big engines like SL Merc's and M3's...there is just something about the power delivery and feel on the road. Look forward to hearing your views ( please make me want a S3) :yes:

Well the 3.2 rattle is the timing chain and you haven't got one so i cant help on that.. If its like the S3 they rattle anyway.

I'll stick a thread with some pics and my thoughts on the transition and my take on ownership to date... I havent really had the time I would like to use it the way I'd like to due to work/home life... I've yet to bond with it the way I did with the 3.2 but its early days! (hope that doesnt sound odd!)
I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts also. I love mine to bits and it runs like a dream but I keep thinking it could be time to move on.
I've looked at a few different cars, S3 included, but I'm yet to feel the urge to take one out for a test drive

Reactions: paddy
2.0T is belt driven not chain driven so you're rattle will be something else.

Update time. I'm viewing the car tonight as the car was unavailable for viewing over the weekend being prepped for sale (whatever that means). Can anyone confirm if the 3.2 has a cam chain or belt? IIRC the old VR6 lump had a cam chain and the 3.2 is loosely based on that block?

Nice one Hellz. Thats one less thing to check then lol.

Right, ok! What mileage/age should the camchain be replaced? What signs should I be looking for if its about to give up the ghost?

The chain should last the life of the engine but there have been numerous instances of the chain having to be replaced due to rattling or running issues. However I don't know of any actually snapping.
The cost to replace is around £2-£3k depending on what's replaced. Listen out for rattling from the gearbox end other than that a scan of the engine is needed to check for stretching

Last edited:
Age and mileage dave ??. Unfortunately even a scan will not tell you the full story because a stretched chain gives the same reading as a knackerd tensioner. this can also give a rattle. One of the many reasons the chains suffer is over tension during their life due to too high oil pressure on the hydrolic tensioner . It amounts to the same thing though because the tensioner is part of the timing cover and you cant take that off with the engine in situ

Last edited:
Update, went and viewed the car and test drove it. Mrs liked it so we bought our first Audi. A3 3.2 Quattro Sport DSG S-line is mine. Two minor paintwork issues to sort but everything else is perfect. Even came with Bose which wasn't advertised along with the s-line spec! Can't wait for Saturday to come!

Congrats mate - get some pictures up when you get a chance - good choice of car, enjoy!

Congrats, you wont regret it or be dissapointed! I love mine so much i've shipped him to Oz lol!

Cheers all, I'll post pics when I've figured how to on here! Only got sale pics the garage took but will take better ones after I've collected it tomorrow. Soooo excited!

Woohoo, finally figured out how to post a pic! Here's the new purchase.
audia3001.jpg
audia3001.jpg

audia3001.jpg

Last edited:
Looks clean and tidy mate, well done, its really the best A3 you can get.

Update, collected it yesterday morning and spent most of the day driving it with the Mrs and we're both agreed they we love it and it's the best car we've ever owned. One quick question, where is the battery located? I noticed on the test drive and when we collected it that it turns over a little slowly when starting. I've had it charging via an Optimate charger on the charging point in the engine bay overnight so hopefully that will have recovered and charged the battery. If not I may need to replace the battery so would be good to know where it is and what's invovled in replacing the battery.

The battery is under the boot floor. Remove all the stuff under the carpet and you'll see the cover.
Glad you like the car, it's very addictive especially in built up areas with the windows down.

You need half an hour and a good allen key to get the 400 screws out of the battery cover :)

First commute in the car this morning and what a difference it makes! I found myself not getting stressed in traffic and just sitting there wafting along. Anyway, as said earlier there are a few things to sort out and the first 2 things I need pronto is a set of locking wheel nuts and a full set of wheel nut covers. Can anyone point me in the right direction or is it a case of walking into my nearest Audi dealership and paying dealer prices?

Not happy! I'm sitting here after driving home from work (20 mile trip) and I'm shaking and feel sick! Felt hesitation between a few gear changes but thought it was just the potholes and my foot moving around. It wasn't constant though so tried a few acceleration tests under different loads and sometimes it did it and sometimes it didn't. Got home and sat stationary and applied some revs and it felt lumpy around the 1800rpm mark and straight away was reminded of Hellz post about the camchain! Could the garage I bought from have hidden the symptoms? Why has it started doing it now after almost 100miles driving after purchase on Saturday morning? I had the aircon running at it's lowest setting due to todays heat, could it be related? Hopefully it can be sorted by the software update someone mentioned? Could it be a coilpack? Car came with 3 month warranty with a max £500 per claim which won't help if it is the chain! I'm at a loss and need your guys advice?

Last edited:
Don't panic Dave, it's probably just the software update that needs doing.
I started the original hesitation thread that's linked to in my sig and the hesitation was purely down to the software. The chains were replaced on mine 3 months after I got the car and made absolutely no difference to the car apart from the fact that it cured the noisy rattling from the engine. What you need first of all is a scan by vagcom to find out your software code, then you have the arduous task of convincing the dealer to do the update.
As for the 3 month warranty, don't worry about that as the sales of goods act covers you in any case. The garage paid for my car fixing after I sent them a letter!

Hey Ju, thanks for the prompt response I was going out of my mind with worry! Fingers crossed its what you describe. Is the vagcom thing something the dealer I bought the car from can do or do i need to take the car to my nearest Audi dealer which is very close to home (Camberley Audi)? There's no audible noise from the engine apart from the silky purr if the V6.

TBH I'd stay clear of the dealers until you are armed with the info you need. If you were near me I would scan it for you but there are plenty of members with vagcom leads that can scan it for you so maybe put up a post in the VCDS (vagcom) section.
I had the new software over 12 months ago and it's run like a dream ever since!

Ju, could I ask a huge favour from you? I started reading your sig thread but there's a ton of info to go through. Could you give me an idea of my next steps? I'm about to text a mate who may have a vagcom.