Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Brake fluid change

Hi, just got off the phone with the main dealer, they suggested I have the brake fluid changed as it is 3 years old. They told me it will not affect my warranty if I decide not to have this work done. Do I need to get it changed. Or is the dealer trying to lead me on telling me its a safety issue?

Thanks
    2008 Phantom Black S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

she's no d-turbo

Status
    They told me mine is due for a brake fluid change as its 4 years old now. It's not really a safety issue unless your brakes are low on fluid, so check the levels. I plan on changing mine in the next few weeks just to keep it mint

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by moag View Post
    They told me mine is due for a brake fluid change as its 4 years old now. It's not really a safety issue unless your brakes are low on fluid, so check the levels. I plan on changing mine in the next few weeks just to keep it mint
    AIUI brake fluid is hygroscopic, that is it absorbs water vapour from the atmosphere. At least it used to in years gone by. After some time the proportion of water in the brake fluid reaches a level such that the water might boil out when the fluid becomes hot during heavy braking, thus causing the brakes to malfunction at the very time you might need a heavy brake application.

For this reason it is advised by manufacturers that brake fluid is replaced every two years, and also that old brake fluid stored in a can should never be used. It is purely a precautionary measure given the often highly humid atmosphere within an engine bay. It comes down to risk management.
    Dave N

No misfires.

Status
    To be honest it wouldnt do it any harm but I bet 9/10 changes they do the boiling point of the fluid is still perfectly satisfactory. I'm having mine changed in October along with a coolant flush. I keep clear of the dealers and so I can plan the slightly more involved jobs better with my mechanic on inspection of the vehicle rather than just going by years/miles in the log book. If something doesn't need doing then why do it!
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    To be honest it wouldnt do it any harm but I bet 9/10 changes they do the boiling point of the fluid is still perfectly satisfactory. I'm having mine changed in October along with a coolant flush. I keep clear of the dealers and so I can plan the slightly more involved jobs better with my mechanic on inspection of the vehicle rather than just going by years/miles in the log book. If something doesn't need doing then why do it!
    Quite. You must manage your risks as you see fit. One other factor concerning the risk from high water content in brake fluid, is the chance of rust occurring in the braking system.
    Dave N

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for your replies, I had thought about the rusting bit myself. I will book it in the same time as the MOT is due. £49.00 so its not the earth.

Cheers
    2008 Phantom Black S3

Audi Heaven

Status
    The fluid in my A3 has been changed every two years from new... I thought that was the norm...
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

No misfires.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I had thought about the rusting bit myself. I will book it in the same time as the MOT is due. £49.00 so its not the earth.

Cheers
    Rusting can occur as Dave N quite rightly mentioned, but things will have to be in a very dire situation for that to happen. Anyway sounds like you have made the right decision so happy days.
    Last edited by DaveyB; 17th June 2011 at 20:38.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

Neutral

Status
    You could always get yourself a cheap brake fluid tester off the likes of ebay etc,just to see how much moisture has been absorbed in your fluid and make your own judgement.
    I changed mine after 3 years.

Scott.
    (8P)A3 2.0 TDI Sport-Dolphin Grey-
    1983 (DAC)Talbot Sunbeam Lotus - Weekend Toy.