Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34

    Brake fluid change

    Hi, just got off the phone with the main dealer, they suggested I have the brake fluid changed as it is 3 years old. They told me it will not affect my warranty if I decide not to have this work done. Do I need to get it changed. Or is the dealer trying to lead me on telling me its a safety issue?

    Thanks
    2008 Phantom Black S3

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    moag's Avatar
    she's no d-turbo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    819
    They told me mine is due for a brake fluid change as its 4 years old now. It's not really a safety issue unless your brakes are low on fluid, so check the levels. I plan on changing mine in the next few weeks just to keep it mint

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by moag View Post
    They told me mine is due for a brake fluid change as its 4 years old now. It's not really a safety issue unless your brakes are low on fluid, so check the levels. I plan on changing mine in the next few weeks just to keep it mint
    AIUI brake fluid is hygroscopic, that is it absorbs water vapour from the atmosphere. At least it used to in years gone by. After some time the proportion of water in the brake fluid reaches a level such that the water might boil out when the fluid becomes hot during heavy braking, thus causing the brakes to malfunction at the very time you might need a heavy brake application.

    For this reason it is advised by manufacturers that brake fluid is replaced every two years, and also that old brake fluid stored in a can should never be used. It is purely a precautionary measure given the often highly humid atmosphere within an engine bay. It comes down to risk management.
    Dave N

  5. #4
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    To be honest it wouldnt do it any harm but I bet 9/10 changes they do the boiling point of the fluid is still perfectly satisfactory. I'm having mine changed in October along with a coolant flush. I keep clear of the dealers and so I can plan the slightly more involved jobs better with my mechanic on inspection of the vehicle rather than just going by years/miles in the log book. If something doesn't need doing then why do it!
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    To be honest it wouldnt do it any harm but I bet 9/10 changes they do the boiling point of the fluid is still perfectly satisfactory. I'm having mine changed in October along with a coolant flush. I keep clear of the dealers and so I can plan the slightly more involved jobs better with my mechanic on inspection of the vehicle rather than just going by years/miles in the log book. If something doesn't need doing then why do it!
    Quite. You must manage your risks as you see fit. One other factor concerning the risk from high water content in brake fluid, is the chance of rust occurring in the braking system.
    Dave N

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34
    Thanks for your replies, I had thought about the rusting bit myself. I will book it in the same time as the MOT is due. £49.00 so its not the earth.

    Cheers
    2008 Phantom Black S3

  8. #7
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,850
    The fluid in my A3 has been changed every two years from new... I thought that was the norm...
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  9. #8
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I had thought about the rusting bit myself. I will book it in the same time as the MOT is due. £49.00 so its not the earth.

    Cheers
    Rusting can occur as Dave N quite rightly mentioned, but things will have to be in a very dire situation for that to happen. Anyway sounds like you have made the right decision so happy days.
    Last edited by DaveyB; 17th June 2011 at 20:38.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    72
    You could always get yourself a cheap brake fluid tester off the likes of ebay etc,just to see how much moisture has been absorbed in your fluid and make your own judgement.
    I changed mine after 3 years.

    Scott.
    (8P)A3 2.0 TDI Sport-Dolphin Grey-
    1983 (DAC)Talbot Sunbeam Lotus - Weekend Toy.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO