My Dolphin Grey A3 2.0 TDi - Progress Thread

matt_hilluk

facebook.com/m9tbh
Reaction score
Hello all!

Recently new to the VAG scene!

Decided to make the leap from only ever owning vauxhalls so far, 4 of them to date. The move was for the better, obviously. 50mpg vs 20mpg in my 300bhp astra :w00t:

So anyway it's a 2.0 TDi (140) Sport, which came with climate control and BOSE, love the bose btw, in dolphin grey. This was definetly the colour for me as it is a little bit different but still blends in with the crowd easily.

The day I collected it:

248169_10150634255850714_529830713_19095866_4792260_n.jpg

I loved it standard but it didn't take me long to start modifying it.

First off went to have the windows tinted, just the rears. Whilst I was there I got chatting and found out they also did vinyl wrapping and could wrap my grille surround pretty cheap, alot less than an optics one anyway!!! So had that done there and then, aswell as the front and rear badges WRAPPED matt black, this was ever so fiddley and took them AGES! Also had the Front lights, Side Repeaters and Fog Lamps Lamin-x'd by them, however I feel the front lights are a little too dark now.

249562_10150640761935714_529830713_19176995_714819_n.jpg

With that done I ordered a set of coilovers (from N8) as i knew I wanted it LOW but at the same time quickly and cheaply. The vmaxx coilovers offered this and the ride quality is still pretty good considering the lowness and tyre profiles. In time to come I may upgrade to better branded suspension or AIR! :thumbsup:

Coilovers were fitted by Midland VW, cannot fault their service, so nice and friendly and definetly well experienced.

NEXT, to sort were the wheels.

Originally I wanted Bentley wheels to go on it, that was my dream, still is I think, but found it hard to come across a set so quick and that were perfect for me. I also thought about Rotiform BLQ's or VMR 710's in Matt Black. Whilst browsing the forum I had seen a set of wheels that also took my fancy. They too were 19x9" that I was after and they were up for sale right now! So it was arranged to pick them up ASAP.

Genuine Audi S6/R8 alloys. Refurbished in Light Gunmetal. 19x9", wrapped in Falken 215/35/19 with STRETCH.

I also added an s-line spoiler along the way. It makes a HUGEEEE difference.

I think thats it for now... probably forgot some stuff, but will add stuff as I go along.

Btw, I think I am going to lower the front a little more and raise the back, the rear has 2 degrees camber also and 10mm spacers.

Now for the pics!!!

Last edited:
Yea modded pics needed :sign_pics: :photo:

I have been thinking how to wrap my grill for a few weeks now,
do they just heat it on and cut down the edges with a Stanley knife?

Think i am going to order some right now!!!........ :w00t:

Was a bit too late with my post.... :tumble:

Car looks stunning, :drool:
i am now going to completely de-badge mine and wrap the front!

Wow i am loving this! I was all for BBS CH wheels until i came on this forum, then i changed my mind to VMR 710's then changed to wanting a set of fat 5's then A8 wheels and now i want these wheels :)

I to am lowered on the V maxx from N8 and came from a 280 bhp astra :thumbsup:

Miss the power but not the costs! Audi's are not cheap to mod though are they?!

awesome!! good work dude... colour works well with the wheels!! some MY11 rear lights will finish the rear off nicely!!

theyre on the list. for sure. only had the car about 2 weeks so cant justify spending £200 on different lights just yet. But I will ;).

Looking good :icon_thumright:
love the colour..

How much did you lower it?
and wot shade of lamin-X did you use for the front lights?

Looks good fella, MY09 or MY11 would look sweet. Any thoughts on s-line bumpers?
Bet your pleased with the result :)

Last edited:
Wicked mate!!!! Them wheels look familiar :p could do with getting the front down a bit more bro :ninja:

theyre on the list. for sure. only had the car about 2 weeks so cant justify spending £200 on different lights just yet. But I will ;).

I bought my MY11 lights the week before I picked the car up! ha

Cars looking sweet so far mate, get that front lower!

What shade lamin-x have they used on the headlights? Looks like smoke which is pretty dark

Looks sick, I'm interested in vmaxx coilys, what's the ride like? Bouncy?

were these lukes old wheel? they look mint on a grey car ive got to say!

Looking good :icon_thumright:
love the colour..

How much did you lower it?
and wot shade of lamin-X did you use for the front lights?

all the way on the back, 10mm left on front, back needs highering and front needs lowering though

its the darker of the 2

Looks good fella, MY09 or MY11 would look sweet. Any thoughts on s-line bumpers?
Bet your pleased with the result :)

will be my11s for sure, i did want them but now not too fussed. if anything it will be s3 kit.

Good work

;)
Wicked mate!!!! Them wheels look familiar :p could do with getting the front down a bit more bro :ninja:

definetly will be happenig this week bud, thanks ;)
Lovely transformation dude! Did you do the lamin x yourself?

nah had them done by a pro, wouldnt trust myself for air bubbles etc

I bought my MY11 lights the week before I picked the car up! ha

Cars looking sweet so far mate, get that front lower!

What shade lamin-x have they used on the headlights? Looks like smoke which is pretty dark

the darker one... too dark, can barely see anything night driving

Looks sick, I'm interested in vmaxx coilys, what's the ride like? Bouncy?

not far off standard comfort tbh

were these lukes old wheel? they look mint on a grey car ive got to say!

they are indeed ;)

V-Maxx are great for the dollar :wub: car looks great bro

cheers for hookin me up with the gear to make it look this way :wub:

oh does anyone know how much my standard wheels will fetch as shown in the 1st pic??? they are mint and the tyres are continentals or dunlops with lots of tread, thats all i know.

oh does anyone know how much my standard wheels will fetch as shown in the 1st pic??? they are mint and the tyres are continentals or dunlops with lots of tread, thats all i know.

£300ish. I sold mine for £260 the other week with 2 dung tyres.

Love those S6's. Lamin-x on the headlights is a little to dark for me but each to their own

Good luck with the car buddy

yeh i agree they are too dark, can barely see anying at night, might rip it off.

as for the wheels i'd be happy with £400 i think :\ thought maybe a tad more but ahwell.

Sh!t. that looks amazing mate.
My old A3 was Dolphin Grey as well and I was always wanting to do the black out grill but never got around to it.
I would never have waited if I had of seen your car.

Looks stunning.

Those old wheels will fetch £400 easy .Sold mine for that with some small kerbing .Then you can buy your S3 parts ;)

Sh!t. that looks amazing mate.
My old A3 was Dolphin Grey as well and I was always wanting to do the black out grill but never got around to it.
I would never have waited if I had of seen your car.

Looks stunning.

i got my grille done like 2 says after owning the car, really wanted the optics grille but for the bargain of wrapping mine I am really pleased with it.

Those old wheels will fetch £400 easy .Sold mine for that with some small kerbing .Then you can buy your S3 parts ;)

where did you advertise yours? hope i get that much for mine, although i think i need to keep them or get some others as winter wheels, i cant see me running those 19s all year round

Looks great mate, best colour too :p

2 things I'd change, paint that rear view mirror black as it sticks out like a sore thumb, and remove the laminX on the headlights as I actually think the standard look is dark enough tbh :yahoo:

Cheers. I won't paint it but may get everything in black from an s line. Also I don't like the lights either may go for a lighter lamin x.

Notice that the bumpers are slightly darker in the photos, mine are the same and so were my old Akoya Silver - seems to be a common "fault"!

Car looks good, and the S-Line roof spoiler makes a big difference, far more than you would think considering it's not actually that big. Not sure about the tinting - I've never understood it as it just creates an inbalance between the front and rear half of the car. I find that these A3s appear as if the have a heavier OEM tint than other cars anyway.

Great write up Matt and stunning car! Love what you've done so far, the grille, the wheels etc, etc. Looks totally LUSH! A few of us former Astra Turbo/VXR owners have headed over here to 'pastures Euro' this last month or two. Look forward to more updates.

Last edited:
Notice that the bumpers are slightly darker in the photos, mine are the same and so were my old Akoya Silver - seems to be a common "fault"!

That's just the way the paint sets differently on the metal and plastic, its visible on some cars than others

Great write up Matt and stunning car! Love what you've done so far, the grille, the wheels etc, etc. Looks totally LUSH! A few of us former Astra Turbo/VXR owners have headed over here to 'pastures Euro' this last month or two. Look forward to more updates.

cheers, i thought i'd miss the power and the vauxhall scene but i really dont at all lol
That's just the way the paint sets differently on the metal and plastic, its visible on some cars than others

agreed, also seems to show up more in photos, my old silver car looked fine in person but not in photos