EM TuningBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

LED License Plate Fix for MY09+

Check out Pretarion thread over at fortitude/vortex

Fourtitude.com - DIY - The $17 LED License Plate Fix

Finally a proper solution for MY09+. A bit more work, but it works apparently
    2010 SB TDI - Accuair E-level - Air Lift Slam front and rear - Bentley CGT 9 spokes - Votex hatch spoiler - S3 front and rear - RNS-E mk2

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear
    Aski Champion

Status
    Haha, too right! I found the listing, defiitely says for A3's from 2010 and they're £35, but if I thought they would work, I might be persuaded to give them a go, ..lol.

Listing
    LED Kennzeichenbeleuchtung AUDI A3 8P 8PA (ab 2010 BJ) | eBay UK

Translation
    Google Translate

Here is a better fix, little bit more expensive but alot easier. . .

Banana Menace!

Status
    I saw Pretarian's thread on the other forum and all kudos to him for his successful solution to this problem of no LED number plate lights for 09- A3's. I'm not so confident I'd be able to do this myself, so this morning I ordered the ones above from Ebay.de. Fingers crossed they will work, will report back when I get them fitted.
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulieMB View Post
    I saw Pretarian's thread on the other forum and all kudos to him for his successful solution to this problem of no LED number plate lights for 09- A3's. I'm not so confident I'd be able to do this myself, so this morning I ordered the ones above from Ebay.de. Fingers crossed they will work, will report back when I get them fitted.
    Please do, i want mine less brighter than the complete housings but im a bit worried about the blowing up from overheating which seems common for just bulbs
    2008 A3 1.8TFSI 3 Door S Line - Lava Grey - Bose - Bluetooth - S Line Full Black Leather - Aux - Comfort Pack - Coming Home Lights - Storage Pack - Cruise Control - Ambient Interior Light - Footwell Lights - Audi IPhone 4 Cradle - Leather Armrest - BE Rear - MY09 Rear Lights - S3 Pedals - S3 Vents - BBS RS866 - Bi Xenons - Bluefin Stage 1 - K&N 57S Intake - Rev D Valve - Powerflex Dogbone Insert & Gear Box Mount

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for being the guinea pig PaulieMB.

Looking forward to your report.
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

diu
    Reverse Gear

Status
    any updates on the bulbs PaulieMB?

Banana Menace!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by diu View Post
    any updates on the bulbs PaulieMB?
    The bulbs showed up this morning from Germany, but I knew the minute I opened the envelope that they weren't going to work . Inside was exactly the same box that the last set I bought came in ..and they didn't work either!!!

It said on the Ebay.de listing that they are suitable for A3/S3 from MY2010, but on the box it says A3/S3 up to MY2009. THESE WILL DEFINITELY NOT WORK!!! It looks like Pretarion's solution is the only way we can have LED number plate lights without any DIS error at the moment. Sorry guys, I thought this may have been what we were looking for, but it seems that thanks to a misleading German Ebay listing, we are no further forward. My dad is very handy with electronics though, so I may get him to have a look at Pretarion's method and do this to mine.

3rd Gear
    Aski Champion

Status
    The bulbs showed up this morning from Germany, but I knew the minute I opened the envelope that they weren't going to work . Inside was exactly the same box that the last set I bought came in ..and they didn't work either!!!

It said on the Ebay.de listing that they are suitable for A3/S3 from MY2010, but on the box it says A3/S3 up to MY2009. THESE WILL DEFINITELY NOT WORK!!! It looks like Pretarion's solution is the only way we can have LED number plate lights without any DIS error at the moment. Sorry guys, I thought this may have been what we were looking for, but it seems that thanks to a misleading German Ebay listing, we are no further forward. My dad is very handy with electronics though, so I may get him to have a look at Pretarion's method and do this to mine.
    Thats gutting Paulie, sorry to hear, fudging crauts!

diu
    Reverse Gear

Status
    sorry to hear Paulie!

3rd Gear
    Aski Champion

Status
    Not really worth returning either eh?

Banana Menace!

Status
    Nah, got them up for sale in the Classified section, Scott . Making a habit of selling these things nw, lol! Was going to send them back, but the seller's German, so really CBA'd doing the Google Translate thingy to convey to him how P'd off I am that his listing was at best very misleading and at worst a case of blatant mis-selling, with him stating that they are suitable for 2010 cars. I've ordered a chassis mountable resistor pack and some bulbs like in Pretarion's thread, so I'm gonna let my dad have a go at doing my LED's. He's just put inline resistors on the LED numberplate lights in his own car, so now he can do mine!

3rd Gear
    Aski Champion

Status
    Nah, got them up for sale in the Classified section, Scott . Making a habit of selling these things nw, lol! Was going to send them back, but the seller's German, so really CBA'd doing the Google Translate thingy to convey to him how P'd off I am that his listing was at best very misleading and at worst a case of blatant mis-selling, with him stating that they are suitable for 2010 cars. I've ordered a chassis mountable resistor pack and some bulbs like in Pretarion's thread, so I'm gonna let my dad have a go at doing my LED's. He's just put inline resistors on the LED numberplate lights in his own car, so now he can do mine!
    Sounds good let me know how you get on

4th Gear

Status
    Shame was really excited when i saw 2010 instead of the usual 2009 compatibility. Was just about to order some will have to stick with the yellow glow for a bit longer
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

2nd Gear

Status
    Shame to hear Paulie.
    Good on you for giving it a try.
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

Neutral

Status
    Hi, just to let you all know, i have carried out this modification to my MY11 A3 and can confirm this does work!! Really straight forward job and well worth doing!!

Neutral

Status
    Dave, got any pics please?
    MY12 Brilliant Black Audi A3 Sportback S-line 1.4 TFSI - Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, Xenon lights, Folding mirrors, Non smoking pack

Neutral

Status
    No problem, I'll get some up tomorrow matey!

6th Gear

Status
    slighly off topic - but from link, never seen the "lights are on" and the wee petrol pump nozzle icon in the facelift DIS before...
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    slighly off topic - but from link, never seen the "lights are on" and the wee petrol pump nozzle icon in the facelift DIS before...
    prob because its a us spec car so a bit different to uk cars matey
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    prob because its a us spec car so a bit different to uk cars matey
    good point, I will check what happens with VCDS if I change to US.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

events moderator

Status
    good point, I will check what happens with VCDS if I change to US.
    let us know the outcome as that looks good wouldnt mind if i could have it on mine too uk cars suck lmao

Neutral

Status
    Hi, can't seem to get the pictures up, will have a look tomorrow night!!! Really pleased with the results tho..... My A3 MY 2011 comes up with 'lights are on' and the fuel can symbol, however on my A3 MY 2009 it didn't so it must be an improvement they have made.

events moderator

Status
    yeah maybe its a new thing they have done i like it good feature

1st Gear

Status
    OT:
    I got it on my swedish imported A3, but my m8 with a german imported A3 dosent, both are MY10
    2010 SB TDI - Accuair E-level - Air Lift Slam front and rear - Bentley CGT 9 spokes - Votex hatch spoiler - S3 front and rear - RNS-E mk2

1st Gear

Status
    Any pictures Dave?

Call me Dan :)

Status
    Seems quite a good mod this
    Wiring up isn't the bit I'm most scared about, it's the panel on the boot lid! haha
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Phantom Black | Leather Seats | Heated Seats | Black Optics | AMI | Badges Deletion | Rear Sunblind | Armrest | Darkened Glass | S3 Chrome Grill | H+R 10mm Spacers up Front | H+R 13mm Spacer at Rear | Mtec Cosmos Blue Bulbs | Cared for Paint Work |

In awe of VCDS

Status
    Just out of curiosity, is it all the 2010+ cars that have problems with DIS warnings? With the earlier models it seems that some cars flag warnings up when you fit LED bulbs and some don't. Mine's an '07 and I've just fitted a pair of SMD LED bulbs that haven't got the resistors built in and by rights I should have a warning on the DIS, but they work fine.
    I'm just wondering if the newer A3's have the same thing, where some people are lucky and others aren't.

Isn't it possible just to fit normal LED bulbs and then de-activate the cold test on number plate lights using VCDS. I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure I saw number plate lights listed amongst all the other cold-diagnosis options when I was coding my Sportback LED rears. Would this solve it?

One last question - Is the problem wth overheating the light units only with the bulbs with resistors, or is it with any type of LED bulb?
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

Fossie

Status
    You can disable the cold diagnosis warning but the ecu will still switch off the circuit if it thinks a bulb has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is it all the 2010+ cars that have problems with DIS warnings? With the earlier models it seems that some cars flag warnings up when you fit LED bulbs and some don't. Mine's an '07 and I've just fitted a pair of SMD LED bulbs that haven't got the resistors built in and by rights I should have a warning on the DIS, but they work fine.
    I'm just wondering if the newer A3's have the same thing, where some people are lucky and others aren't.

Isn't it possible just to fit normal LED bulbs and then de-activate the cold test on number plate lights using VCDS. I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure I saw number plate lights listed amongst all the other cold-diagnosis options when I was coding my Sportback LED rears. Would this solve it?

One last question - Is the problem wth overheating the light units only with the bulbs with resistors, or is it with any type of LED bulb?

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's A3 sport. View Post
    Hi, just to let you all know, i have carried out this modification to my MY11 A3 and can confirm this does work!! Really straight forward job and well worth doing!!
    Hi Dave,

Got anymore detail about this? Pics etc? Would like to have a go at it.

Thanks
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!