Stage 2+ problems

brough74

Reaction score
Hi ive just had the garage on the phone as they are setting up my stage 2+, but they said it feels like its holding back and not giving full potential. As they have set up other S3 with simalar spec before.

They have contacted revo several times and they say it could be because its ran on normal unleaded WTF, my car is a 58 plate with 16000 miles on it and a phase2 car, the also said the injectors could be waxed up

I mentioned to see if they had fitted the RS4 pressure regulator but they said it had the wrong type of thread on to fit.

So what is the problem ? as im meant to be getting the car back tommorow

Do you have to run it on super plus unleaded ?

Spec - milltek full system, BSH induction with heat shield, autotech fuel pump internals, sachs clutch etc

In what way do they meen holding back .
Might be the hot weather as mine don't feel all that fast as its quite warm .
Have you got a boost leek ?
When was your spark plugs last changed .
Or the coilpacks might be on there way out .

i think a flat spot like a dip in performance or a hesitation
Not that warm up here in cumbria about 15 degrees
I think they would notice a boost leak
Never changed spark plugs but i did tell them it might need cooler ones
Not sure about the coil packs but thanks

lve had this now and then. l changed the plugs and all fine. It could also be the DV as this was the first thing to show a slight hesitation. l changed mine to a REV D. Sorted it out.

I don't think I would ever run a tuned car on anything but V Power or similar super unleaded fuel, but that's just IMO.

Yes ive already fitted a REV D DV so could be the plugs then. Thanks

If it still ant that pm me and I'll put you in touch with my pal who is going to be doing a gt3071r on my car in July

Not many garages sell super unleaded in the sticks lol so it would have to be octane booster or a good detour

Octane boosters are just a gimmic, get V-Power in there, or Tesco 99 as a suitable alternative. Not a fan of BP so never used Ultimate, but I can vouch for the other 2 even in a "standard" S3.

You should be using at least 97ron on even a standard S3. You are lucky in the mainland that you get 99 ron V-Power or Tescos as we do not get it over here in Northern Ireland :-(

Was it BP that had a VERY limited time offer when they stocked 103 at some petrol stations? I remember reading about it in a magazine a few years ago.

Was it BP that had a VERY limited time offer when they stocked 103 at some petrol stations? I remember reading about it in a magazine a few years ago.

yes! i remember going to fill up and seein it, didnt even look at the price then as i put the nozzle in i looked and it was around £2.40 litre! i stopped and put normal super in... i asked the guy in the station whether anyone had bought it and he said a guy in a Bentley just filled up £200 :eiertritt:

back on subject

OP; From Stage 1 Revo you should be running 98Ron at least. Stage 2+ its a MUST!!!!

also what is your mileage? my plugs and coil packs went after 25,000 miles!

What you're describing could basically be any of the above.

You don't have an uprated intercooler,and whilst it wasn't a problem on mine,it certainly can be a cause of problems,but I would start with the plugs,as if they haven't been changed recently(and I mean withing the last 5000 miles),then that's a perfect candidate.

Had exactly that on mine,and a change of plugs cured it.

I don't where you got the comment about the RS4 regulator from.....it isn't neccessary on a Stg2+ car,but I can assure you it does fit.
It's an awkward thing to do,but it DOES fit.

Always,always use as near 99RON as possible,and don't waste money on octane boosters...

This link isn't new but it will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't...

Octane Boosters | Fuel Tech Experts

Make sure you report back what the problem was.
Am very keen to know as I will be going Stage 2+ very shortly.

The car has 16000 miles on it and its not had the spark plugs changed. They fitted the RS4 pressure regulator today and Mapped it but the want me to run some injector flush through and go back in a couple of weeks with some decent petrol in it and they are going to have another go as they had done another S3 with a simalar spec and the said it was a lot faster.

Ive drove it back today and the clutch is still bedding in as its a bit stiff at the moment, but you can feel the power when it comes on full boost as it gives a good kick of acceleration

Right ive done my research on petrol and i can only get BP ultimate locally, so i will have to run that.

Looking at spark plugs now and thinking of Denso iridiums IK24, anybody used these and comments good or bad or any others to use ???

you dont need anything other then oem plugs, alex is running them on his stage 3 without issue and im running them on my pretty aggressive stage 2 without issue, just change them every 5k miles or so and it will run sweet as a nut

you dont need anything other then oem plugs, alex is running them on his stage 3 without issue and im running them on my pretty aggressive stage 2 without issue, just change them every 5k miles or so and it will run sweet as a nut

Exactly what AMD said to me. Mine are standard plugs. Just changing the plugs and coilpacks on my car made such a huge difference!

The car has 16000 miles on it and its not had the spark plugs changed. They fitted the RS4 pressure regulator today and Mapped it but the want me to run some injector flush through and go back in a couple of weeks with some decent petrol in it and they are going to have another go as they had done another S3 with a simalar spec and the said it was a lot faster.

Ive drove it back today and the clutch is still bedding in as its a bit stiff at the moment, but you can feel the power when it comes on full boost as it gives a good kick of acceleration

I think that's likely to be at least part of the answer...

On stock settings,the plugs will last for a long time,but the current advice is to change plugs very 5000 miles,and do the oil at the same time.

Also,as you've noted,stick to decent 99RON fuel now and don't use supermarket 95RON.

Put some Bp ultimate in it today, along with some good quality octane booster. Looking at ordering some standard plugs next week as Halfrauds did not have any in stock.

Yes i did thanks got some at halfords the NOS race one, i know it came fifth but it was the best one i could source locally and it adds nearly 2 ron.

I had a nasty flat spot on my 2+ and fitted the RS4 valve and it made a world of differece. Something others havent mentioned is that it may be worth checking and cleaning the MAF sensor as that may be holding the car back? Did my plugs a while back and that made it feel more lively as well.

Cheers i might clean the MAF when i change the plugs which i have on order.

Yes i did thanks got some at halfords the NOS race one, i know it came fifth but it was the best one i could source locally and it adds nearly 2 ron.

Really,you shouldn't need this stuff unless you are running a LOT of boost or advance on the timing,and if your car is setup to run that,and relying on octane boosters,then you really do have to remember to use them all the time.

My own preference would be to get the car running properly without stuff like that.

To be fair i only put it in the tank as they had been trying to map on normal petrol (my fault as thats what i used to run), to try and get it to run better. I now fill it up with BP ultimate as that is the only high octane petrol near to me.
Im giving it a few weeks with decent petrol, new plugs and then goig back for the mapping session and hopefully it will run a lot better. But it does take off now once you give it full throttle

To be fair i only put it in the tank as they had been trying to map on normal petrol (my fault as thats what i used to run), to try and get it to run better. I now fill it up with BP ultimate as that is the only high octane petrol near to me.
Im giving it a few weeks with decent petrol, new plugs and then goig back for the mapping session and hopefully it will run a lot better. But it does take off now once you give it full throttle

OK...sounds a lot more sensible,and cheaper than using octane boosters full time!

BP Ultimate is as close to V_power as you'll get,and more importantly,both contain a decent selection of cleaning agents.

Although the misfire on mine was mainly down to other causes,using premium petrol did make a noticeable difference,and nearly enough to put us off the track of the real cause,which was the intake on mine.

What was up with your intake ? Just out of intrest.

What was up with your intake ? Just out of intrest.

Basically it was trying to use the stock intake to keep the car looking standard,whilst upping the power......the result was a top-end misfire as the intake was strangling flow.

A change to a Forge intake cured that,and left us with another interesting dip in power at 4500rpm on Stg3....that turned out not to be intake related but almost certainly dyno-related instead.

Wasnt there some post about the tesco 99ron stuff on one of the forums? i am sure they RR the cars what were running it and out of about 5 4 of them wasnt hitting the power they did with V power as the car was running safer,they didnt know why to be exact apart from all they could say was they didnt think the petrol was all it cracked up to be,but reading the above i would change the pugs,and as for cleaning the maf - dont as they are not something that can really be cleaned a lot of people use carb cleaner and other things but they just knacker up the fibres and can cause more problems than good, a good tuner should be able to tell you if your mafs a problem by going a run in it while linked up and seeing what parameters its reading

Mine had the exact same problem. Was awful at stage two and 2+. Took it down to REVO hq who leaned up the mixture by adjusting the T & F settings, and now is fine and has been ever since. Hope this helps as i spent ages trying to get a fix. at one point i nearly had the valve springs changed. Let me know how you get on, and good luck.

EDIT Forgot to mention I aslo fitted the BSH PCV delete kit as this was thought to be leaking boost slightly.

Last edited: