Project FBMFSW - step 1

ADi Nuff Valves

Reaction score
Website
www.moodysky.co.uk
After deciding to go for a low mileage S3 with no toys over one with lots of toys but 20,000 more miles for more money, i'm now looking to get some of the missing toys added!

My current steering module is a 1K0 953 549 AH but i've just picked up a 8P0 953 549 F module with slip ring 1K0 959 653 D and steering angle sensor (I believe) 1K0 959 654 for £25.

From hunting around the forum I believe I will need the steering control module but think I may already have the correct slip ring as mine's an '07 plate. No idea on the steering angle sensor.

Just debating attempting to do this conversion myself or to go to a pro. Don't like messing with air bags (although that didn't stop me on the old mk4 golf 4motion)!

Is there anywhere else apart from ebay that I should consider to get hold of the steering wheel and air bag?

Cheers,
Adrian

After deciding to go for a low mileage S3 with no toys over one with lots of toys but 20,000 more miles for more money, i'm now looking to get some of the missing toys added!

My current steering module is a 1K0 953 549 AH but i've just picked up a 8P0 953 549 F module with slip ring 1K0 959 653 D and steering angle sensor (I believe) 1K0 959 654 for £25.

From hunting around the forum I believe I will need the steering control module but think I may already have the correct slip ring as mine's an '07 plate. No idea on the steering angle sensor.

Just debating attempting to do this conversion myself or to go to a pro. Don't like messing with air bags (although that didn't stop me on the old mk4 golf 4motion)!

Is there anywhere else apart from ebay that I should consider to get hold of the steering wheel and air bag?

Cheers,
Adrian

You will already have the correct (version D ) slip ring and the steering angle sensor is part of that.

I have to ask, where the hell did you get all that for £25 ? Version 'F' steering modules are like rocking horse sh*t and are £150 ish from Audi.

Ebay is favourite for the wheel + airbag but you will be looking at £500 - £600 min. for both.

I've got a version F steering module for sale, if anyone interested PM me

Bear in mind that 1K0 version 'F' is not the same as 8P0 version 'F'

1K0 is not highline and does not support mfsw.

8P0 is highline and does support mfsw.

You will already have the correct (version D ) slip ring and the steering angle sensor is part of that.

I have to ask, where the hell did you get all that for £25 ? Version 'F' steering modules are like rocking horse sh*t and are £150 ish from Audi.

Ebay is favourite for the wheel + airbag but you will be looking at £500 - £600 min. for both.

This was an ebay purchase. The seller had advertised them as being from an A4 but then listed all the part numbers which tied up with what I was after. I guess listing it as an A4 may have put other bidders off.

This was an ebay purchase. The seller had advertised them as being from an A4 but then listed all the part numbers which tied up with what I was after. I guess listing it as an A4 may have put other bidders off.

Well spotted ! You got an absolute bargain !

Update!

I know this is probably the slowest FBMFSW install ever but i've finally got my hands on the wheel I wanted:

ttrs_fbmfsw.jpg

So I believe all I need now is the airbag and loom. The steering wheel has part number 8J0 419 091 N and was off a 2011 TTRS. Anyone got a clue on part numbers for airbags that will fit and the loom that I need?

Of course it's going to be delayed further as coming up in April is a rather expensive service including the cambelt. :(

Im doing exactly the same thing mate. My S3 came with no extras so slowly adding them. I have my steering wheel with airbag so need the module I think. Dunno about the slip ring. My car is an 08 plate S3. I also have a newish RNSE unit to go in aswell but may well need to modify the antenna and bluetooth. Money money money.

Same as me. Poverty spec'd but it was low miles (~=23k now). So I thought i'd add the trinkets that I wanted as I went along.

I believe you may well have the correct slip ring as i've been informed I should have since mine is an '07 S3. I have a spare slip ring I think that came with the steering ecu I bought so if it turns out yours isn't the right one and mine is (can't see how that would be but you never know) then give me a shout.

Im doing exactly the same thing mate. My S3 came with no extras so slowly adding them. I have my steering wheel with airbag so need the module I think. Dunno about the slip ring. My car is an 08 plate S3. I also have a newish RNSE unit to go in aswell but may well need to modify the antenna and bluetooth. Money money money.

the loom you need is 8J0 971 589 F... i have just picked up the same wheel, and i am in the process of changing the threads to red :ninja:

fa273c4e.jpg

c2461333.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Paullie
Are you using a felt tip pen by any chance :)

Lol no nigel :ninja:
Its a dyeing process which takes frickin ages! Kind of wish I didn't start it now but then again I have some time before I fit the wheel so why not

Hopefully i've got an airbag and loom sourced. Can anyone fill me in on what coding i'll need to do once i've swapped my current steering wheel control module 1K0 953 549 AH with the 8P0 953 549 F module?

Hopefully i've got an airbag and loom sourced. Can anyone fill me in on what coding i'll need to do once i've swapped my current steering wheel control module 1K0 953 549 AH with the 8P0 953 549 F module?

Depends on what your car is fitted with . Just go into steering module and follow the info given on the screen and insert the correct number against each of the question marks.

It's dead easy !

Has anyone got an idea on what I should code the new steering ecu with?

steering_ecu_coding.JPG

What is a "board computer" and how do I know if i've got one?

It's currently set to 0002012 which sounds about right looking at the breakdown of what the numbers mean.

I don't have cruise (yet) just the FBMFSW. No bluetooth stuff or RNS-E either.

Thanks Mike. Install went ok apart from I have the ESP/steering errors.

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 1Kx-909-14x-44.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K2 909 144 L
Component and/or Version: EPS_ZFLS Kl.150 H07 1806
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00178 210 84033
VCID: 356A95CC25DA
Fault Codes have been Erased

2 Faults Found:
02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 38860 km
Temperature: 18.0°C
Voltage: 12.10 V
Voltage: 11.90 V

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:

Is it just a case of calibrating the steering or is it something else i've missed?

Yeah - just re-calibrate the steering. Full left lock and hold for 10 seconds, full right lock and hold, drive forwards in straight line for 10 yards or so then back. Switch off and re-start should sort it and lights will go out after a few hundred yards. Anyway that's what happened to me !!

Just been out to try it and no luck so far. When you said "drive forwards in straight line for 10 yards or so then back" do you mean after driving forward 10 yards or so then reserve back 10 yards or so?

Just been out to check the steering angle was giving back a value and it doesn't move from 0 when I move the steering wheel.

steering_assist.JPG

Is that just because it hasn't been calibrated?

Yeah, you need to calibrate it. What I had this issue for a while, I had tried calibrating it and doing the steering wheel limit adaptation(moving wheel left then right) and neither worked however when I calibrated it and then straight away afterwards did the steering wheel thing it worked..

Here are the 2 links, do the first followed by the second, it will either be 44-steering assist or if it isn't there try 03-abs brakes I found mine in the steering where others have found it in brakes..

VW Golf (1K) Steering Assist - Ross-Tech Wiki

Do the steering angle sensor calibration followed by the steering limit stop adaptation...

I had to do this proceedure a few times to get it to work..

Hope this helps

SORTED! :arco:

Performed the basic setting for the steering angle sensor. Then tried the steering limit stop adaptation but it didn't work. Went for a drive around the block. The ESP light had gone out but the steering wheel light was still amber and steering assist was still not working. When I got back home I checked the steering angle value and it was now giving me a sensible value. Performed the steering limit stop adaptation again and the steering light went out as I centred the steering wheel (after doing the turn to the left and hold, right and hold) and the assist started working. Happy days.

Looking at it, i'm not sure it suites the interior all that well. Wondering if this spare steering wheel I have (currently for sale) would match the interior better?

classifiedsImage.php