Fitting Audi Sat Nav

lanky

Reaction score
Ive currently got a A3 2.0 TDi which has a kenwood double din sat nav/ cd player in. I want to fit a standard Audi sat nav but dont know if the car came with a standard Audi CD player when it left the factory.

If it did have a standard CD player first would I be able to fit the Audi Sat Nav?

You can fit anything for a price. It shouldn't really matter what was in before. You'll need the unit and nav shark fin so it's not a cheap upgrade!
Is you unit no good then??

Check out the threads in frequent questons on rns-e.

you dont need a shark fin fella, a puck GPS off ebay wil suffice unless you really want to go drilling your roof - the puck wil get you roughly 6 sats which is plenty

You can fit anything for a price. It shouldn't really matter what was in before. You'll need the unit and nav shark fin so it's not a cheap upgrade!
Is you unit no good then??

Check out the threads in frequent questons on rns-e.

So if it had the sat nav as standard then would it have the shark fin on the roof?

yes..... or if it had phone prep it would have the fin but no wiring to the nav.....

So because it doesn't have the fin i need to get that part off eBay?

no, like i said, you can buy a fin for around £80 and then have to make the cable run through the roof lining after you've cut your roof..... or just buy a puck gps antenna off ebay and tuck it in the dash behind the nav - thats what most do, ive got phone prep with the fin but the wiring is just such a daunting thought, the puck does the job just as well and costs a tenner

no, like i said, you can buy a fin for around £80 and then have to make the cable run through the roof lining after you've cut your roof..... or just buy a puck gps antenna off ebay and tuck it in the dash behind the nav - thats what most do, ive got phone prep with the fin but the wiring is just such a daunting thought, the puck does the job just as well and costs a tenner

Nice one for the information mate :)

Will I have to change the wiring to fit the Audi sat nav or os there an adaptor harness i can buy from audi?

depends what year your car is mate, early models used ISO which would need an adaptor, i think 2008 onwards (dont quote me) use quadlock which is plug and play

What year is your audi?
As standard the car would have come with some sort of Audi unit (concert/symphony)
The Previous owner would have changed this to the Kenwood one you have (probably as the Audi ones are expensive and do half the things that kenwood one does)
To install the Kenwood the guy would have had to buy adapters to fit to change the original harness over to the standard ISO harness that Kenwood uses. all you need to do it take those adapters off and you would be able to fit in a standard Audi HU (headunit)

Now the RNS-E is slightly different as depending on the age of your car there would be some changes you need to make. The Quadlock has already been mentioned... the other that i know of the the Aerial for your car to get the RNS-E working. Do a search on the forum and on google for "upgrades to RNS-E" and you will find all the information that you need to install the RNS-E.

Hi Lanky,

what year is your A3? If it is 2007 onwards then you don't need an additiional harness, as your car would probably of had an original concert ii + or sympthony ii + which both have the same quadlock adapter.
I just retrofitted an RNS-E 2010 Model to my 2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 SPORTBACK. I needed to get the adapter harness as my original wiring was the iso leads (only 2006 and earlier models).
I got my unit of a guy of ebay who supplied me the antenna and i installed this on top of the glove box and i pick up 7-8 sats no probs (london area), so no need for a shark fin antenna as it is a waste of time as 1animal1has already stated.
Also when install is done, you need to find someone with vagcom so the unit can be coded to your car properly, especially if you have MFSW and on board computer DIS!
If your in the London area, your more than welcome to come over and i will help you install and recode as i have vagcom. It is pretty straight forward really.
Another thing also is if you have BOSE sound system, then you might have to swap a pin over in the wiring, but again this is pretty straight forward. I started up a thread on this for help when i done mine and needed help.
I will post the link when i find it.
Any other help mate, and just ask, we are all here to help out. ;-)

if you've got quadlock remember you might need new Radio amp (£100 used) to make everything work nicely otherwise you can start loosing reception etc. Its called ZF arieal fix or something along those lines. As mentioned dont go for shark fin its waste of money.

Hi Lanky,

what year is your A3? If it is 2007 onwards then you don't need an additiional harness, as your car would probably of had an original concert ii + or sympthony ii + which both have the same quadlock adapter.
I just retrofitted an RNS-E 2010 Model to my 2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 SPORTBACK. I needed to get the adapter harness as my original wiring was the iso leads (only 2006 and earlier models).
I got my unit of a guy of ebay who supplied me the antenna and i installed this on top of the glove box and i pick up 7-8 sats no probs (london area), so no need for a shark fin antenna as it is a waste of time as 1animal1has already stated.
Also when install is done, you need to find someone with vagcom so the unit can be coded to your car properly, especially if you have MFSW and on board computer DIS!
If your in the London area, your more than welcome to come over and i will help you install and recode as i have vagcom. It is pretty straight forward really.
Another thing also is if you have BOSE sound system, then you might have to swap a pin over in the wiring, but again this is pretty straight forward. I started up a thread on this for help when i done mine and needed help.
I will post the link when i find it.
Any other help mate, and just ask, we are all here to help out. ;-)

My car as a 2004 and im not sure what was in it when it left the factory as in im not sure if it originally had a sat nav or just cd player. WHat would I need to fit it to my 2004 A3? If somebody could do it for me then I would be willing to pay.

My car as a 2004 and im not sure what was in it when it left the factory as in im not sure if it originally had a sat nav or just cd player. WHat would I need to fit it to my 2004 A3? If somebody could do it for me then I would be willing to pay.

Being an 04 car then it won't have the quadlock connectors but ISO. Just for reference the connectors changed for MY2008 cars which were built from June 07 onwards and came with the current headunits with no tape players.

2004?

You're in the wrong forum, mate!

And no, you can't fit an RNS-E into a 2004.

Mate, I think you'll find you can, especially if it is the facelift model.

Lanky, firstly, from factory it may well have been a single din radio on your year and the last owner may have converted it to a double din, or with a bit of luck then there was originally a double din audi radio there! In this case you will just need the adapter harness and diversity adapter, (normally bought together) got mine of eBay!
It should be a straight plug and play with a little vagcom coding.
Mate, where do you live, I live in north London if that ain't too far for you, I could also check about your cruise you enquired about mate?
Let me know fella

Mate, I think you'll find you can, especially if it is the facelift model.

Lanky, firstly, from factory it may well have been a single din radio on your year and the last owner may have converted it to a double din, or with a bit of luck then there was originally a double din audi radio there! In this case you will just need the adapter harness and diversity adapter, (normally bought together) got mine of eBay!
It should be a straight plug and play with a little vagcom coding.
Mate, where do you live, I live in north London if that ain't too far for you, I could also check about your cruise you enquired about mate?
Let me know fella

Yeah its an 04 plate 8P A3 2.0 TDi.
Unfortunatly im from manchester although when i have the money together i could travel down to you on say a saturday and you could do the sat nav and cruise control? I would just need to know what parts I need to buy or if you could find the parts and I would pay pal you the money for them and then pay u for the fitting when i come to you?

Yeah its an 04 plate 8P A3 2.0 TDi.
Unfortunatly im from manchester although when i have the money together i could travel down to you on say a saturday and you could do the sat nav and cruise control? I would just need to know what parts I need to buy or if you could find the parts and I would pay pal you the money for them and then pay u for the fitting when i come to you?

Mate i'll supply all the parts for the cruise. Will just need a small deposit when booking. As for your sat nav unit, you thinking of getting a second hand one? That is what i done, paid about 575 including delivery from a bloke in Ireland, and that included the sat antenna. Best thing to do mate is see if you can pull your crrent stereo and check the connections behind it. Take photo's if you can. it will make life easier to see what connections you have. But i am pretty certain you have the same connections as me as mine is a 2006 model. I just needed the adapter harness, cost about £28 from ebay.
I'll PM you my mob so you can contact me if you have any questions.

Mate i'll supply all the parts for the cruise. Will just need a small deposit when booking. As for your sat nav unit, you thinking of getting a second hand one? That is what i done, paid about 575 including delivery from a bloke in Ireland, and that included the sat antenna. Best thing to do mate is see if you can pull your crrent stereo and check the connections behind it. Take photo's if you can. it will make life easier to see what connections you have. But i am pretty certain you have the same connections as me as mine is a 2006 model. I just needed the adapter harness, cost about £28 from ebay.
I'll PM you my mob so you can contact me if you have any questions.

I'll try and whip out my current double din in the next few days and take some pictures of the connectors for you. Thanks alot for the help you and everybody else has given me. I find that there arent many forums of this nature that like to help the other member out especially the new ones :)

Your more than welcome fella, that is what we are here for. I am a bit of a newbie on here too, and the support on this forum is second to none mate.
Take it easy mate.

hi guys,i have 2011 a3 with bose,and multifunction steering..........if i buy a rnse someone mentioned of a pin that needs swopping over ,(for bose) ?
can anyone tell me exactly which?........is rest plug and play?

brown wire in pin 5 of blue plug goes to pin 7 in blue plug for bose
RNSE still needs coding as it may not work properly even if it looks like it is working.

will i still need do this even though im using my original connectors in the car........looking on ebay dont look like any units come with connector/iso plugs

can the wire be bridged across or has it got be removed?

UNFORTUNATLEY im on the search still for a sat nav,aparantley the courier left it by the back door and suprise suprise,it wasnt there !
i paid through paypay but not gone through ebay,but ive got wait till i get paid (2weeks) unless i get the refund first .......so called signed for item !!

let me in on it lol.....dont understand it on rosstech site...

Ok brown wire is pin 5,you say move this to pin 7?
There is a grey wire in pin 7 wat happens to that?

I have bose,mfsw and Bluetooth ( factory fitted)

please help coding rnse
0205725 IS MY ORIGINAL CODING

You just add up what you have and use that number, make a copy of the coding now, so if it does mess up, you have the original

i had fault code in can-gateway....i ticked the box which says navigation.......now no fault code

but still faults left ---same fault codes in radio and navigation my phones connected but no numbers/name displayed on rnse(probably do with faults below) any help?

56:radio 00858 connection radio itermediate frequency(if)output to antenna short to ground 007
01044-control module incorrectly coded 000--
03157-functionality limited due to communication distruption 000--

37-Navigation 00858 connection radio itermediate frequency(if)output to antenna short to ground 007
01044-control module incorrectly coded 000--
03157-functionality limited due to communication distruption 000--

No idea sorry but in 77 have you added the rnse in there...you got bluetooth fitted?