Chris NottVolks Autos
    5th Gear

Status

Angry Symphony will not play CDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All!
    Im getting seriously p*ssed with my Symphonys refusal to play ANY CDs that I burn!
    I tried MP3s and WAV but no no avail!
    Anybody have any ideas of how to play CD-Rs?????
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You might find it only plays proper CD's & copied CD's, not compressed formats like mp3's etc. I'm fairly sure my RNS-E doesnt play mp3's on a CD, only on the memory cards.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

6th Gear

Status
    Try a diferent brand ,Asda / tesco cdr's are pish .Not saying yours are crap but its worth a shot

1st Gear

Status
    mine in the a4 didnt play mp3's only copied cd's... get an ipod adapter fitted

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    This is why i removed the symphony within the first couple weeks of getting the car. It only plays standard format CD's which as you all know is about 18 songs a disk. You could fit a dension 100 and get ipods working if you have an ipod? or go cheapo route and get one of those tape - aux adapters and play music from a phone/ipod but then suffer with the ugly cables.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    another suggestion, turn off the stereo, add a milltek and just listen to that sweet music!

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    Here is a decent idea;

iPod, MP3 Player, USB or 3.5mm jacking connections;
    Audi Music Interface Lead - Stoke Audi Parts

Stoke Audi tole me it didn;t fit mine so I was linked to this;
    Audi I-Pod Connection kit - Stoke Audi Parts

I hate carrying CD's around withme knowing I have an iPod with eveything on.
    Kristian
    No longer an Audi driver...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingy. View Post
    Try a diferent brand ,Asda / tesco cdr's are pish .Not saying yours are crap but its worth a shot
    I was using TDKS and some other make but they both didn't work!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    Here is a decent idea;

Im not sure what will work with my Symphony though! And what ones show up on the display? I wanna get RNS-E evetually so if I get one, it has to work with that as well. Any ideas?
    I miss my Beemers Aux-In cable. It was so simple plugging in my ipod!

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    I thik the Interface lead works on all newer style headunits. I have a picture of the plug that connects to the headunit;

You could always have a look at teh back of your head unit to check and I'm sure someone will have a picture of the back of the RNS-E unit.

I'm currently using one of them Auxillary Tape Players as it allows for greater colume over the iTrips which connect to the bottom of the iPod. My Symphony 'double-din' headunit doesn't go very loud at the best of times. Very limited in sound output so can't wait to upgrade the ICE.
    Kristian

Naj
    Neutral

Status
    Here is a decent idea;

Would the USB fitament (SKU: 4F0051510G) work with the Audi Concert stereo?
    04 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    If you look at te post directly above Naj I have posted a picture of the connection that plugs into the head unit.

As long as that connects to your head unit the USB connection on the other end I assume will allow you to connect the likes of laptops or MP3 players up to the head unit.

You could always send Stoke Audi your VIN number and ask them just incase.
    Kristian

5th Gear

Status
    I thik the Interface lead works on all newer style headunits. I have a picture of the plug that connects to the headunit;

You could always have a look at teh back of your head unit to check and I'm sure someone will have a picture of the back of the RNS-E unit.

I'm currently using one of them Auxillary Tape Players as it allows for greater colume over the iTrips which connect to the bottom of the iPod. My Symphony 'double-din' headunit doesn't go very loud at the best of times. Very limited in sound output so can't wait to upgrade the ICE.
    So that just plugs into the back of the headunit then? Then where do you put the end that plugs into the ipod?

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    Glovebox I think dude but I'm sure you could put it anywhere - only downfall is the lead isn't very long. Some of these leads actually plug into a connection fitted in the glove box. Have a look there if you have anything.

I still need to get my headunit out to have double check exactly what connections on on the back.

Another option would be to go for the Parrot Bluetooth Kit if you don't already have Bluetooth connection as they also come with iPod interface. My mate use to have one in his Focus and it was a great piece of kit.
    Kristian

5th Gear

Status
    Ive already got the OEM Bluetooth fitted so no point getting the Parrot

Naj
    Neutral

Status
    I got a some cheapo Tesco CD-R and they work fine. Just use Windows Media Player to burn an Audio CD which will save the songs as .CDA. A Data CD will create MP3, WAV, WMA etc which don't work.
    04 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Naj View Post
    I got a some cheapo Tesco CD-R and they work fine. Just use Windows Media Player to burn an Audio CD which will save the songs as .CDA. A Data CD will create MP3, WAV, WMA etc which don't work.
    I did try Windows Media Player. Maybe I should try Tescos discs then!

Naj
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishS3 View Post
    I did try Windows Media Player. Maybe I should try Tescos discs then!
    Again, check you are burning an Audio CD in WMP. It will only record 16-20 tracks on a CD-R.
    04 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    That cable will not work at all in your car without a mk2 rns-e & ami system, that alone will set you back over 1k easily, so ignore this info.

You need to use standard cd's in your head unit, it will not support mp3/wav files end of.

Get an rns-e, that will play mp3 no problem, job done

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    symphony 2 will play mp3s..

so will the ami cable work with the symphony 2 deck or?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Read post 19

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Read post 19
    But your post also states can only play mp3s in rns-e .. but the sym2 plays mp3s so im confused.

lol :P

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Nige and everyone else is right, you can not play mp3 compressed CDs or similar formats on the Sympthony 2 units upto year 2006, as I had this same issue but now have RNSe Mk2 so no probs. HOWEVER, you can play Mp3 CDs on the Symphony 2 plus (upgraded symphony 2) year 2007 onwards.
    Hope this helps.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Although I appreciate there maybe slight confusion with different units, without me being smarty arsy pants lol, but I was fairly clear, the ami cable wont work without ami itself & an rns-e mk2.