Audi A3 Black Edition Delivery Times 2011

wills_1990

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, soon to be owner of a New Audi A3 Black Edition in Ibis White.
I wanted to see what people thought about the delay times currently on these cars, i ordered mine back on January 20th 2011 and still havnt received delivery of it, i have been given a build week of week 27 so beginning of July/ end of June.
I am currently in negotiation with Audi about what they are going to do to compensate me for the massive delay on my car, at the moment it is looking to be around 8 months all in all which in my eyes is ridiculous. I had the small complication of selling my old car a month before the delivery date i was told on the order form 31st May, but i was able to cope for just the month with out too many problems.
Obviously im now looking at well over a month with out a car and have had to buy a run around in the mean time. I just wanted all your general views and experiences that you may have had and what Audi did to compensate any delays you may have had. I am awaiting a call from the Sales Manager today to tell me what they can offer but i wanted to know what i should realistically be looking for.
Any views or suggestion would be much appreciated

Wills

You should have read the back page of the A3 brochure and asked for a loan car immediately until your one arrives, their policy is to keep you on the road. I ordered mine in Aug 10 and took delivery late March 11 and Audi gave me a 2.0TDI 170 Sport S-Tronic F.O.C. from beginning of Jan 11.

Get them to give you a car as a run around, save your cash!

I do feel your pain though, I ordered mine 30th January, build week is next week, delivery approx start of july.

Could I ask how often they called you to keep you informed? I havent heard from them in two weeks and getting abit worried.....

Yeah i am going to try and get one, I barely ever hear from them, there customer service is soo bad. I have to contact them to get anything out of them and then they say they will ring me back before i certain time and they never do, there sales manager was supposed to ring before 2 today, still havnt heard anything....

which dealer you going through?

I don't want to ring them as I think I shouldn't have to but a quick call just to say my car is on track for next week would be nice and not too much to ask for!

You would think they would care about their customers abit more....

You could also ask for a further discount unless you already got an amazing deal

is yours going to be MY11 or MY12?

Its going to MY11, yeah thats what i think lets down Audi big time, there after sales just doesnt seem to exist, they are all good up till you put your deposit down then they just dont seem to care. I bought it from Tetbury and i got a pretty decent deal about 9% off which isnt bad, but i think im going to keep hammering for more just because the way they have dealt with it was so unacceptable. Im very suprised they havnt rung you to say its all still on track, have they actually given you a delivery date?

Mines coming from eastbourne audi, not even classed as after care is it? I think they need reminding that just because the deposit is down they havent 100% got the sale, I am still willing (wont say happy) to cancel if the spec turns out wrong or they dont offer anything for the rubbish service! Not delivery date, just a confirmed build week which is next week.

I have a feeling something will crop up in the spec as the salesman that sold me the car was new and told me duff info such as chrome on door handles is an extra, he's been sacked now.

About month ago i asked for privacy glass to be added to my sportback A3 1.4tfsi sline order, happy to pay the £300 and it took the guy two weeks to ring and all he said was it cant happen and also the cars delayed....thanks alot mate! so i called his manager and said if its taken him this long and now its too later i think he has forgotten and trying to cover it up! it now got amended and they doing it free of charge but it has shifted the car to MY12, only problem with that is that there is no space saver! so you think it is right to ask to be compensated for this fact?

they called you today? or you ended up calling them?

Hi Wills

New here. I am very interested in this thread.

I have ordered an A3 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro S Line black edition Volcano red :drool: from a lease scheme at work. The lead time on mine is 10 months! I was shocked but I've been told by the lease admins that the A3 is the most popular (I won't say common lol) lease car out of thousands. It is being arranged with Lookers leasing.

I am going to be provided with a 'lead-in' car of a similar spec though. I will try and get a more definitive answer for build time etc. I do feel for you though, especially as this is a private purchase.

Let us know how you get on. I'm sure i'll be joining in with further threads :)

Cheers

Andy

I've got my 140 2.0 TDI BE Sportback being delivered Friday. Ordered it in December before VAT hike.

Pretty glad I didn't get tempted to order mine through Audi itself, ordered it through a leasing company the 1st week of February, took delivery of it last Tuesday. Mine is a pretty basic spec though so something you've included may be causing the big delay.

I've got my 140 2.0 TDI BE Sportback being delivered Friday. Ordered it in December before VAT hike.

Could I ask how often the dealer updated you on progress after you placed the order?

I ordered my red black edition quattro with many optional extras in mid Feburary and was told would be mid June! Ended up getting it early... End of my so no delay in my case :) I look under the bonnet and noticed a sticker on the lights with a build date on it, the date was 12 days before i got the car! That means the light was built, the car was built and shipped in 12 days! Thats brilliant in my opinion, cant get better or newer than that :)

Could I ask how often the dealer updated you on progress after you placed the order?

My dealer has kept me updated and is very police whenever I phone to ask anything :sly:

I ordered my red black edition quattro with many optional extras in mid Feburary and was told would be mid June! Ended up getting it early... End of my so no delay in my case :) I look under the bonnet and noticed a sticker on the lights with a build date on it, the date was 12 days before i got the car! That means the light was built, the car was built and shipped in 12 days! Thats brilliant in my opinion, cant get better or newer than that :)

Thats good to know as my build date is 22nd of August.

Good news!

Getting my lead-in car on Thursday. Audi A3 2.0 TDi SE Sportback Ice silver manual. 60 plate.

Really excited about getting this. Can you tell?! :yum:

Gonna be using this for the next 10 months then get my Quattro!

12 days for a new build is pretty ****** good. The techs building these things must be flat out!

Cheers

Andy

Nice one Andy! At least they are taking care of you while you have that rather long wait....thought my 5 months was bad!

I have some news also, dealer called today and car is on track to be built 13th June (less then 7days!!!) he hopes it will be here in week 27 so first week of july :happy::thumbsup:

'Could I ask how often the dealer updated you on progress after you placed the order?' Pretty rubbish really. Emailed the dealer as I feared it had been pushed back as I hadn't heard anything and then I coincidentally get an update saying it had been built and was awaiting transit. I think unless you are ordering an R8 they don't really fuss.

Right so following waiting for the manager to ring, he rings at 5.05 after saying he would ring me before 2, i missed the called i call back at 5.10 and he has gone home, yet there sales department dont shut till 6 :/ So i rang him yesterday morning at 8.30 and finally got to talk to him, for him to then say the car isnt delayed at all it is on track, yet when i ordered the car i was told end of april then when i got the order form it said end of may and now im being told the car all along has been set to build beginning of July? So he said that they were not in the wrong at all with it and yet they will be 7 weeks over the date on the order form? Am i right at being slightly annoyed with this response, anyway he said he would go away try and sort me out a courtesy car and some sort of compensation even though he didnt think they were in the wrong and come back to me later on.....Im still waiting for that phonecall!!!! :banghead:

Surely thats proof on the order form?!? End of May and you are now realistically looking at third/fourth week of July for delivery! Every right to be annoyed mate! the wait for these cars is painful!

Let us know what he does offer you! Courtesy car should be a minimum!

Finally the manager has just got back to me, they are going to give me a courtesy car as part of the compensation, which presonally i think should have gone with out saying and are going to arrange something else as a apology for there incompetence so we will see what they come up with, but atleast things are sorted now until the car arrives!!:yes:

Nice one Wills. Good on ya for keeping on at em. What courtesy car are they supplying, like for like?

Let us know when you get your black edition. I'm hopeful that the 10 months lead time on mine is worse case scenario!

Loving my A3 sportback, only a basic spec on the SE (that said, it has full leather and rear parking sensors) but the performance is amazing! 9 months old and only 3.5k on the clock, hardly been used.

Nice one Andy! At least they are taking care of you while you have that rather long wait....thought my 5 months was bad!

I have some news also, dealer called today and car is on track to be built 13th June (less then 7days!!!) he hopes it will be here in week 27 so first week of july :happy::thumbsup:

Nice one Jiggy.............you lucky,lucky person you!

Glad I've got something of reasonable spec until March 2012! Although, the basic Chorus stereo is pants! Sounds ok but no MP3 support or even an AUX input!

Where are you Wills?

Some dealers are pants..

A Loaner is the least you should expect.

All the best.
Pilot

I went to pick up my courtesy car on thursday evening, didnt know what they were going to be supplying me with so was a bit of a suprise when the guy tells me im going to being having an A6, first reaction was what the hell am i supposed to do with one of them, far too big for me. He then took me out and showed me around it, fullly kitted out A6 170 tdi, Nav, heated seats, the lot and so i left the dealer ship with a big smile on my face. They have sweetened me up for now, but they better sort me out something amazing in compensation for when i pick up my car!!

Im not far from Cheddar Pilot

Hi Wills
New here. I am very interested in this thread.

I have ordered an A3 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro S Line black edition Volcano red :drool: from a lease scheme at work. The lead time on mine is 10 months! I was shocked but I've been told by the lease admins that the A3 is the most popular (I won't say common lol) lease car out of thousands. It is being arranged with Lookers leasing.

I am going to be provided with a 'lead-in' car of a similar spec though. I will try and get a more definitive answer for build time etc. I do feel for you though, especially as this is a private purchase.

Cheers

Andy

I am in a very similar position. Recently ordered an S3 Sportback Black Edition, and have just been given a date of December by my lease company. I have been given a lead in vehicle by my lease company (well specced Insignia Diesel on a 60 plate) which has softened the blow a bit. My wait time will be approx 7 months from ordering which seems pretty bad. They have clearly underestimated the market demand for their product as this must lose them sales compared with other marques.

On the upside I guess I will get a 61 plate, and a good xmas present to boot....

Gandy

I went to pick up my courtesy car on thursday evening, didnt know what they were going to be supplying me with so was a bit of a suprise when the guy tells me im going to being having an A6, first reaction was what the hell am i supposed to do with one of them, far too big for me. He then took me out and showed me around it, fullly kitted out A6 170 tdi, Nav, heated seats, the lot and so i left the dealer ship with a big smile on my face. They have sweetened me up for now, but they better sort me out something amazing in compensation for when i pick up my car!!

Im not far from Cheddar Pilot

So is that Taunton or Bristol Audi??? Seems Bristol have a load of A6 170's 11 Plate demos for sale at the moment so my money is that you have one of the Phantom Black ones. (Old model !!) If you are buying from Taunton I reckon you are paying too much ;-0

Last edited:
Nope i shopped around all of them and most of them wouldnt budge on price so i went to Tetbury Audi, i have a 60 plate new shaped one in that funny grey colour, I went to Bristol first and then tried Taunton the guy from Taunton knew the guy i was dealing with at Bristol and told him i was trying to beat his quote and so it all got a bit heated, but yet they still couldnt get me the best deal.

HI

I am new here and I have also ordered A3 Black Edition 170 TDI in Ibis White with a few extras through my company as its a company car - I have been given an expected date of late December! Does anyone know if this is likely to change for the better? Ive also seen a blue one today and now wondering if I have made the right colour choice and if its too late to change!

HI

I am new here and I have also ordered A3 Black Edition 170 TDI in Ibis White with a few extras through my company as its a company car - I have been given an expected date of late December! Does anyone know if this is likely to change for the better? Ive also seen a blue one today and now wondering if I have made the right colour choice and if its too late to change!

Personal view... we had a loaner Ibis White A3 SB for 3 months to replace our Phantom A3 SB. I hated it! Metallics and Pearlescents suit A3 better and the white withdark windows bits etc is too micky mouse IMHO...

Interesting to read through the thread here. Ordered my 170tdi Black Edition from Tetbury Audi on 20th February with a few additional extras. Estimated build week was week 27 but this moved forward to week 23 so hopefully the car is now built and on it's way!! One slight snag though. Original order was for lava grey but due to problems at the paint pigment manufacturer in Japan this colour would have experienced a long delay so I changed it to Phantom Black. Apparently this problem is affecting several of the colours in the Audi range. Salesman at Tetbury has kept me regularly updated throughout, admittedly mostly by email rather than phone.

Hi DC, What extras have you gone for. The best in my view are Quattro, closely followed by Tech and Comfort packs. We also chose Open sky which in this weather is great.

Phantom is a great colour on the A3 SB. you won't regret it. Lava is nice too (our near neighbours have it) but it always looks a bit like they weren't quite brave enough to choose Black.

The Japan Earthquake has caused a few problems with a paint component called Xillion. Audi have had to change a few colours including Deep Sea Blue which looks superb on the A/S5... not so good on the A3 SB though.

Good luck.

Hey DC, nice to see someone else who has ordered from Tetbury. Which salesman were you dealing with? My car has just gone in to build this week and yet i order a good few weeks before you did, so i find it quite odd that yours has been built first, but i guess this could be to do with the spec/colour. Its interesting to hear that you have been kept up to date, i have barely heard anything and no one rang to tell me that the car had gone in to build week ok or anything like that, i had to do all the chasing, but i guess you could have been lucky and got a sales man who actually cares about his customers after they have put the money down on a car.

Hi DC_1977 Did the dealer give you any idea as to how much longer the Lava Grey would be? I ordered the Black Edition beginning of April and the last I heard was October delivery .......

im set to receive my A3 at the end of this month!

i ordered it a month and a half ago!

WOW that is a quick delivery, is it a black edition? and what kind of spec is it, i dont think i have come across anyone who has received theres that quickly!!!

Hi DC, What extras have you gone for. The best in my view are Quattro, closely followed by Tech and Comfort packs. We also chose Open sky which in this weather is great.

Phantom is a great colour on the A3 SB. you won't regret it. Lava is nice too (our near neighbours have it) but it always looks a bit like they weren't quite brave enough to choose Black.

The Japan Earthquake has caused a few problems with a paint component called Xillion. Audi have had to change a few colours including Deep Sea Blue which looks superb on the A/S5... not so good on the A3 SB though.

Good luck.

Hi Pilot

I have gone for quattro, comfort and tech packs and to keep the Mrs happy heated front seats as well!! Car is on the way to the dealer today and picking up Monday. Cant wait!

:yes:

Hi DC_1977 Did the dealer give you any idea as to how much longer the Lava Grey would be? I ordered the Black Edition beginning of April and the last I heard was October delivery .......

Yes, when we discussed colour options the earliest build week with the Lava Grey would have been around week 36 (end August). But the overall time from order to deivery for mine is just short of 5 months. I also have a colleague who was left waiting for nearly 10 months for his Sport spec tdi, but probably as he went through a broker.

Just a quick update. Been told my ordered car will be with me by late October. That's 'only' 5-6 months since ordering it, much better than 10!

I've heard through our Fleet care that the reason for the delay is actually building the TDi engines, 170's in particular, quick enough. I don't know if that's true or not but hey ho. We'll get em eventually! :racer:

Andy

Just a quick update. Been told my ordered car will be with me by late October. That's 'only' 5-6 months since ordering it, much better than 10!

I've heard through our Fleet care that the reason for the delay is actually building the TDi engines, 170's in particular, quick enough. I don't know if that's true or not but hey ho. We'll get em eventually! :racer:

Andy

Aww hell naw. I changed from a 140 to a 170 last week. Better not delay it!