Help needed installing interior parts please :-)

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I've just began to install the lower dash grab handles and a new DSG leather gear stick boot and hit a problem with both!! haha

First of the the grab handles... I can see and get to the front two bolts but the back two which are hidden behind the ash tray are out of sight. Once the ash tray is removed I can just about feel them and have tried a 9mm socket but this seems too big and my other ones are too small - does anyone know which size socket I need for the back two bolts as I cant even see them to measure up.

Next is the DSG leather boot... following a guide, it says to pull out the side button and put some cable tie through the back to keep it pulled out. When I pull mine out, it only pulls out so far and not enough to get a cable tie round the back - I can just about wedge a bit of card underneath a little gap at the bottom of the button.

dsg-button.jpg

Once I did this, I then turned the old leather boot up and over the handle to reveal a little metal collar which I can just about turn and this has a notch every quarter turn. I have tried pulling the gearstick handle up and off when the metal collar is at every notch but it just wont budge. What am I doing wrong?

metal-collar.jpg

Any help much appreciated. :salute:

Wedge a screwdriver into either of the two tabs of the metal collar to loosen it. Alternatively just cut it off.

Not sure about the grab handles bud, ive never taken mine off

Wedge a screwdriver into either of the two tabs of the metal collar to loosen it. Alternatively just cut it off.

Not sure about the grab handles bud, ive never taken mine off

So is the metal collar not really needed? Or if I cut it off, do I need to replace it with new one?

You will need the metal collar. You can get similar things from the plumbing department of most big DIY stores, halfords or local hardware stores or you could possibly use a large cable tie.

You dont need the metal collar, just use a study cable tie to replace later, not to large or it will affect the gaitor in that area, thats perfectly sufficient & given those clips are usually once only usage & need a specific tool to put back on then forget reusing it, its a waste of your time.

The bolts are 8mm iirc.

Get a cable tie round the button, just pull it out all the way & slide it behind, it really is that simple, if it goes back in once removed then its a pita to get out with damaging the button trust me on that :)

You dont need the metal collar, just use a study cable tie to replace later, not to large or it will affect the gaitor in that area, thats perfectly sufficient & given those clips are usually once only usage & need a specific tool to put back on then forget reusing it, its a waste of your time.

The bolts are 8mm iirc.

Get a cable tie round the button, just pull it out all the way & slide it behind, it really is that simple, if it goes back in once removed then its a pita to get out with damaging the button trust me on that :)

Nice one Nigel, cheers for the heads up!! :)