Cheap Mods for those tight months

I think you're missing the point Paddy. Nobody is saying you have to do all or any of these mods, they're just suggestions. Some will be tacky to some people, but others will be a nice touch that keeps the car looking original while improving comfort or just making driving more enjoyable.
Like fan washer jets. These won't even be visible, but they are a vast improvement and cover the screen better while using less water meaning you won't be topping it up every five minutes in the winter.

I personally will be painting my calipers BLACK because the ones on the car are 4 years old and looking a bit scabby. Surely there's nothing chavvy about this? If I was painting the standard calipers red and sticking Porsche badges on them then fair enough, I'd deserve some stick, but not for wanting to keep the car I love looking smart.
I've done other mods too, but my focus is on keeping the car looking like it came from Audi this way. E.g. Sportback LED rear lights, cruise control retrofit.

Dont worry Dan, just having a laugh. For years a rear wiper was an optional extra and everyone wanted one..then once they were std everyone wants to take it off. If it became an expensive optional extra again everyone would be adding it as an expensive upgrade. always makes me smile. :lmfao:

Sorry Paddy, just me being a bit over-sensitive I think. I've been a member of a few forums in the past and people got flamed for the slightest thing.

I know what you mean about rear wipers. I had the same discussion on a Boxster forum but about exhausts. Everyone wants twin tail pipes because the S had them, but if it was the other way round and the non-S models had twin pipes as standard then everyone would be changing to the large single oval.

I painted mine black:

R8Setup1.jpg

volkswagen racing painted mine red for me and i dont think they look too bad... works well on a black car imo :)

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

With brakes that cool you could paint them any colour you like and they'd look awesome! :wub:

Cheap performance MOD - loose some weight :icon_thumright:

Need to watch the Lamin-x, they might fall foul of the MOT next year if they reduce light output too much.

AHP656_zm.jpg

audi money clip to hold on to your cash to save for bigger mods :)

Reactions: Khufu and JNP
Lots of things changing for MOT next year

Uh-oh, what you heard?

EDIT: I've just done a search on Google. It might be worth others doing this too. 'Illegal ECU modifications' is mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karlos_
They are planning to tightening things up, things like bust boots on track rod ends/balljoints will fail as opposed to being advised. Towbar electrics being checked, tints on lights, xenons, leak detectors for LPG cars - off the top of my head.

I think its to start to harmonise with Europe, hopefully not to got to a 4-2-1 system. If it does vehicles will need to fail as opposed to being advised if you know it will be 2 years before tested again.