AFS downgrade to Bi-Xenon

TimJK

Reaction score
Hello, Recently purchased a car, 2008 s3 (Pre-facelift) it is supposed to have AFS headlights.

However it has at some point had Bi-Xenon lights fitted instead.

This brings up "Adaptive headlights inactive" on the DIS.

I am not fussed about having the AFS as I would rather not spend money on 2 new lights and control units.

So my question is.. has anybody managed to code out adaptive lights, either by dash panel or 55?

So far I have tried (Using VAS 5051);

1. Adapting Coding in 55 from 0000020 to 0000012 - Will not accept coding via Guided Fault Finding or Vehicle Self Diagnosis (Access code??)
2. Swapping j431 with a 10 plate s3 without AFS - Connector different.

I'm afraid its wired different to the J431 module as you have found out. All I can suggest is get a copy of both wiring diagrams & see what pins are different and wire up to what it should be for a non AFS J431 module using a new multiplug -4E0 972 726

There is no version of j431 which will fit both or a way to code the dis to not display the fault?

Or a way to code the j431 afs to not have afs?

As per Ew's comments, you have to rewire the headlights & the levelling module, which is also different aswell as code changes, are you the mate of itwasntme?

He's a user on here mate who also had someone with identical issue to you, to the letter aswell.

Easiest probably yes, but still need adapting to the car via coding, let me know if you need some new lights & I'll see what I can get them for.

They will need coding/setting up, thats fact if they're new, they will require at minimum lenses checking for mot level which requires coding to set mot position.

:detective2:Sounds like it has been in a front end to me and the repair company have fitted the wrong lights? Why els would they be non afs? Mine doesn`t have afs but its an early 2007

Nigel, same issue but not my mate :thumbsup:

To be honest Tim if i was in your situation i would be buying the proper AFS lights and fitting them in, much less hassle and its such a nice feature to have since you already have the level sensors in place.

Nigel, same issue but not my mate :thumbsup:

To be honest Tim if i was in your situation i would be buying the proper AFS lights and fitting them in, much less hassle and its such a nice feature to have since you already have the level sensors in place.

I have purchased a pair, just waiting on delivery now, but off on holiday in a few days so will be waiting a little longer to fit!

Just need to sell the Bi-Xenons currently on the vehicle next!

Yeap lhd, knew that seller was holding something back when I asked for a mate, unbelievable, really is, arrgghhhh

He tells me he had both and sent RHD to Croatia, and LHD to me! ***.

He also says there is a way to convert them, But all i imagine is tourist mode, which flattens the beam pattern and stops auto levelling working and flashes a fault on the DIS?

The guys talking ******, you cant convert them full stop or audi would sell 1 type, not 2, these fecking cretins always try there luck!!!!

Makes your blood boil, probably hopes you dont notice till its too late to return!

Started a dispute already to make sure i get the refund, and will return on sat, prob gonna get stung on postage!

I was going to go into work on saturday to fit them as well and then once that was done, modifying the car could begin, now on hold!

No & as you have prefacelift car, they're no good to you.

Last edited:
lol, different front end, 3-5k later :p

those are standard xenon not AFS, not even Bi-Xenon... keep searching mate

edit:
I just looked at the first one... didnt scroll down.

yes the ones listed as AFS look good.

My Bi-Xenon have D1S bulbs in them too... and I have a set of OEM D1S bulbs for sale.

D3S I believe are for the facelift Headlights

Yeah sorry you can't link to the exact one just the general page.

So seems like I would be ok to go with these then. Although should find out if they have igniters and control units first.