Badger5Chris Nott
    Neutral

Status

2.0 TFSI Misfire/slight hesitation advice needed

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help. I seem to be getting a misfire and slight hesitation when I accelerate, more noticeable at high speeds and particularly when overtaking.

I have had a coil pack replaced a few weeks ago after which it was running fine.

Just been into my local garage and he plugged it in and took it for a spin and couldnt find any problems.

Anyone here had any experiences of this, I have a Bluefin stage 1 installed so may have to go back to superchips to investigate.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    is your car a s3 or standard 2.0T????
    as i know s3's seem to have a well documented problem with missing!

6th Gear

Status
    could be 1 of 3 things, coilpacks, plugs or maff... chances are that once one coilpack goes it strains the others so the others could follow soon after, so its always worth buying them in complete sets, also how old are your plugs? and another good test is to whip the plug that connects the maf out as sometimes they can be on there last legs and pack up causing problems
    also as already asked, what car is it and has t been mapped?
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

Boycie

Status
    Did you only change one coil pack??

If so, change the rest if one goes then there is extra stress on the others.

Also check your spark plugs, when were they last changed?

Have you vagcom? Any faults? I had a flapper failure and had to change the motor

5th Gear

Status
    Check the DV as well, sometimes they can let go gradually and the let boost waver, causing hesitation, although not a misfire.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Neutral

Status
    Thanks all for the advice, it is an A3 2.0T.

I've only had the car a couple of months so not sure about the age of the plugs. Although it didnt come with all of the service receipts it is fully stamped within the service history booklet so has therefore undergone whatever was needed at each service stage by Audi.

It has been remapped using a Bluefin, therefore I may try putting it back to standard and see if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately dont have VAGCOM and I was under the impression that if you run the car without the MAF sensor connected then it throws up a fault that would need to be cleared?

The problem is I dont want to start throwing money at parts which dont need replacing.

Cheers

4th Gear

Status
    as was mentioned it could be coils, £35, plugs, cheap enough or it could be you down pipe. MAF, lm not sure on price. Hopefully its not your map.

6th Gear

Status
    Well a rough break down of prices, coils £35 each, plugs £14 each and the big one, MAF £130ish so it's a bit of a drag but if you've have a misfire then for precautions I would change out all coils and plugs, also with a mapped car you ahould change your plugs much more frequently, I change mine every year as the extra fuelling will cause additional build up on them.
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

4th Gear

Status
    Audi are doing a recall currently on all petrol engines 1998 onwards for coil pack replacement, get it booked in with them to change the coil packs first. They may only change 3 because you already fitted a new/non genuine one.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post
    Audi are doing a recall currently on all petrol engines 1998 onwards for coil pack replacement, get it booked in with them to change the coil packs first. They may only change 3 because you already fitted a new/non genuine one.
    Cheers, booked into Audi on Saturday as they will be changing coil packs under warranty ! They also confirmed they will be washing and hoovering the car whilst I wait so saves me a job.

Apparently they will also do a visual healthcheck which I can watch via video link !

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B-J-P View Post
    Cheers, booked into Audi on Saturday as they will be changing coil packs under warranty ! They also confirmed they will be washing and hoovering the car whilst I wait so saves me a job.

Apparently they will also do a visual healthcheck which I can watch via video link !
    sounds alright!! good luck mate... Misfires are hell!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    coils £35 each, plugs £14 each
    £35 for a set of coils l paid. £50 for a set of IK24 denso iridiums.

6th Gear

Status
    you paid 35 for 4 coilpacks... they must have fallen off the back of a truck as no way will you get them anywhere for that price!
    the oem sparks im sure you can get cheaper then audi, 40 for a set of bosh plugs would be reasonable

1st Gear

Status
    Why do all think the mafs are faulty, they never are

check fuel pressure and check misfire recognition, if its counting up on only one cylinder then its either

compression, coil pack, plug partial blocked injector from carbon build up (if you scope the injector you will see the pattern alter showing partial spray)

the crank sender devines the misfire as the rpm will alter thus the pre mapped crank revolution will ping the mil and hopefully pin point which cylinder

just my findings and i work on these every day and have NEVER REPLACED A MAF ON A TFSI YET

its normally poor remaps, vacuum leaks, plugs and injectors and in some cases camshaft and valve's sticking

take your pick but check mvb's for misfire recognition before you do any thing

note when a cylinder misfire is detected the ecu shuts the injector down and then re balances the fuel to smooth over the imbalance, this can catch you out

if you have a vacuum leak then the lambda will pick this up so you can simply spray a solvent based aerosol like carb cleaner around the area and monitor the lambda values to determine if you have a leak

misfire, use cylinder recognition measured values

boost look at pressure for air and fuel and also valve timing
    Last edited by a8 tech back; 1st June 2011 at 21:27.