Power socket in the boot!

Broadmarsh

Reaction score
I undestand that some A3 2.0 Tdi Sports have power sockets in the boot. Obviously mine does not. I would like to fit some kind of power outlet to continuously power up my Fortuna Clip-on Blue Tooth GPS receiver, so that it can be out of sight.

Does anyone have one fitted?
If so, where abouts in relation to the parcel shelf is it fitted?
What form is it in, by that I mean is it a cigarette lighter socket or something different?
Does anyone know of a generic aftermarket kit that can be used for this purpose?

Any help would be appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
I undestand that some A3 2.0 Tdi Sports have power sockets in the boot. Obviously mine does not. I would like to fit some kind of power outlet to continuously power up my Fortuna Clip-on Blue Tooth GPS receiver, so that it can be out of sight.

Does anyone have one fitted?
If so, where abouts in relation to the parcel shelf is it fitted?
What form is it in, by that I mean is it a cigarette lighter socket or something different?
Does anyone know of a generic aftermarket kit that can be used for this purpose?

Any help would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagparts do one for around 20 quid.

Also Maplin sell a adjustable car power adapter for laptops which may be adapted to various tasks eg when needing regulated power.

I have one fitted to my A3 2.0 TDI SE. It comes as part of the Luggage Pack. It's basically a 12v cigarette lighter socket that pulls open. It's mounted in the right hand side panel of the boot as you look at it from outside the boot.

I have a couple of photos...
photo 1
photo 2

dood, just tap into the switchable positive under the stearing wheel, add a chap cigarette socket, plug in the standard power lead that you got with your gps, wrap 4 miles of eletrical tape around it to stop it coming apart and then secure it all with cable ties.

Jobs a good un.

Is there a switchable power souce under the steering wheel or would this have to come from the fuse box?

Toby.

There was on my Golf, i'll let you know in a month if there is on the Audi. On the Golf you removed the panel right under the steering wheel (the one that was parallel with the floor) and there were 3 bolts which had nuts on them. The bolts were negative, constant live & switchable live. It was very easy to tap into just by removing the bolts, using a circular connector and then reattaching the nuts.
I'll be doing it as soon as mine turns up so i'll post some pictures then.

Sorry guys, I may have not explained myself very well in the original post! My thoughts were to have the Fortuna Bluetooth GPS receiver HIDDEN IN THE BOOT and have it on constant charge (whilst the power is on). This means I do not have to take it out of the car and recharge it after I have used it on a journey. I have already got the HP iPAQ 2210 (with TomTom3) running from the cigarette lighter and mounted on a ARKLON mount attached to one of the centre air vents. This I always remove from prying eyes when I leave the vehicle.

Eeef. If I understand you correctly, you are saying all I need to do is source a generic boot type cigarette lighter (or Audi @ £20) and choose either a constant live or switchable live in the panel under the steering column, and lead a wire (with inline fuse) under the carpets to the chosen point in the boot?

Dave Robinson. Thanks for the pics, that is exactly what I want on mine. Unfortunately my car was already built and just arrived in the UK (more or less the spec I wanted) when I bought it, so the only way for me to have a power source in that position is to do it myself. Audi in Kidlington told me it would mean they had to do a lot of work and it would take them about 4 hours. I told them to [censored off] and walked away. They obviously wanted to do the usual Oxfordshire rip-off job or they over quoted to frighten me away.

regards

Broadmarsh, I understand from my dealer that the problem is that their is no suitable cable in that area to feed the socket and therefore it can take a time to route a new feed properly. They are not allowed to do a 'bodge' job. I had already ordered my car before I was aware that the 12v socket was part of the Luggage Pack which I had not ordered. The cost of the Luggage Pack was £60.00 and they said it would cost a lot more for them to fit a socket after the car was delivered. Fortunately they were able to add the pack to my order to be factory fitted. It will of course be a lot cheaper to do it yourself, but you only have to pay for the parts and not the time taken to do the work.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry guys, I may have not explained myself very well in the original post! My thoughts were to have the Fortuna Bluetooth GPS receiver HIDDEN IN THE BOOT and have it on constant charge (whilst the power is on). This means I do not have to take it out of the car and recharge it after I have used it on a journey. I have already got the HP iPAQ 2210 (with TomTom3) running from the cigarette lighter and mounted on a ARKLON mount attached to one of the centre air vents. This I always remove from prying eyes when I leave the vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Broadmarsh

Apologies if this is something you have already considered, but most GPS receivers will not work properly unless sited "in view" of the great outdoors - it might be worth checking yours functions in the boot before going to all this trouble.

Sounds very cool - is it compatible with IPAQs? If so, any info on model / spec / price would be appreciated.

Thanks

I agree that it would be silly not to include the wiring for a boot power socket in the normal wiring loom for the A3 but not having access to the wiring diagrams for each model I don't know for certain.

With my previous A3 1.8Ts all but the last one had all the connections in the boot for the boot mounted CD player. The last one I owned did not have the main connection cable and this had to be routed through the car by the dealer.

The car was bought second-hand and the original owner had ordered the car without the CD player.

Yep, if you want to run it all the way to the boot. Mines placed on the drivers side corner next to the windscreen with the cable tucked down the side of the dashboard. All you see is about an inch of cable.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd put money on the fact the cable etc is already in the boot ready just to plug the fag lighter socket in!

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would agree. Saying that they have got to fit a new cable is a con. Lets face it, it would cost Audi a lot more money to produce a car if each ones electrics was bespoke. I subscribe to the view that at each particular update of the electrics that the wiring loom will have the wiring in for a particular level of options, whether the customer has them all or not. Still it doesn't help me, I shall have to check and if the wiring is not there, I will have to go the route suggested by Eeef.

regards

[/ QUOTE ]

may not be true on the new mini they have about 15 standard looms they fit depending on spec of the car somthing to do not wasting resourses on wire ect ::cry::