Scottish Road Trip - Advice needed.

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing a road trip in Scotland in July with a couple mates (they will be taking an 911 4S and a Z4 Alpina).

We are heading to Glasgow after work on the Wednesday to get the motorway driving out the way and then on Thursday we will be heading for the good Scottish roads. We will be heading back home on the Sunday.

The first day we will be heading to Inverness (i have a route planned for this part) and staying closeby that night.

I am struggling on a few things which i am hoping someone might be able to help me with:

Which roads to head for after staying at Inverness, i am wanting to head up north.

Where to stay up north, if anyone can reccomend any good B&B's that would be great.

Here is a map of what we are thinking about doing, any suggestions on roads and B&B's will be a MASSIVE help!

scotland.jpg

Head up the Struie (B9176), Evanton to Ardgay and then across Bonar Bridge to get back to the A9; not always the most fantastic road (quite tight a lot of the way), but amazing views across the Dornoch Firth at the top. Adds about half an hour compared to just following the A9 the way round, and you'll probably want to stop for a few pics too ;). You could also turn back at Fearne Lodge if you wanted to cross the normal Dornoch Firth bridge.

that looks like a awesome trip robin make sure you get loads of photo's for us buddy i love scotland :)

This is what I want to do next year, only for 2 weeks around Europe

i love our roads here in Scotland, the drive from Inverness to Dornoch is good, but the next stage up to Thurso will be amazing for you...enojy

I did this a few weeks ago!! Absolutely fantastic!!

Up through Glencoe - Fort William- Inverness etc....

Didnt go further up than Inverness, would love to keep that for another trip!

Dont listen to them, all the roads in Scotland are boring & full of caravans....

... na just kiddin', dont want you lot coming up here & clogging the roads LOL

After Fort Willian, cut across to Oban, down through Lochgilphead, down through Arochar, then into Helensburgh, this will be a far superior road to the the other boring route, and some spectaular scenery!

take a right at Grantown-on-Spey and take the A939 to Nairn. Cracking road and you get to miss out part of the A9!!

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay for our last night near Fort William? Doesn't have to be in Fort William though.

Inverbeg inn is nice... Get a loch side room, or the lodge on the loch

Just come back from a week in Scotland , as for b&bs I can't help as we had a cottage near loch ness.

But as for the driving I did the long road from near drumnerdrochit ( or how ever it's spelt ) to isle of Skye and it was amazing!

To be honest the whole driving experience up there is Awsome, u won't be disapointed :)

I'm a surveyor in inverness and cover the highlands from Perth to shetland skye to dufftown and drive all theses roads daily but the thing that gets me is tourist soaking up the views grrr amazing driving routes but when you've been brought up on them you take them for granted!

Dangerous roads and not very forgiving so drive safe and enjoy the roads

This is the new route we are doing.

Scotland2.jpg

We just need to find a good B&B to stay between Fort William and Glasgow.

I love road trips, last month myself and the missus did this one:

trip1.jpg

Here are a few pics:

Monaco10.jpg

monaco35.jpg

monaco36.jpg

monaco31.jpg

monaco32.jpg

monaco17.jpg

monaco16.jpg

monaco190.jpg

monaco188.jpg

monaco401.jpg

Love the pics mate, looks amazing. Your updated route is a good choice. I stay just about where C on your map is pointing!!

Found a nice B&B in Bonhill so its all booked and we are ready to go hoooooning for a long weekend.

Total costs for 4 nights is £163 and then probably about £240 in fuel (1200 miles) , not bad for a long driving weekend.