Upgraded PIAA & Nokya Lights with pictures

I love A3

Reaction score
From my prev post I wasnt sure which bulbs to go for but finally made up my mind and here are a few pics :) I Upgraded the Dipped beams to PIAA Xtreme white Plus H7 bulbs & the Sidelights to Nokya Artic White H16 bulbs. First pic are the original sidelights.

sideilghtsoriginal-1.jpg

Now look like this:

Nokyah16-1.jpg

NokyaH16-2.jpg

Dipped Beams:

Piaa.jpg

Piaa2.jpg

Loving the lights BUT....... Sidelights work fine during day but whenever I signal and when I have the right turn signal on full ( rather than quick turn 3 flashes ) it causes a error bulb on my dash and right sidelight goes off but this doesnt happen with the left. Also when the dipped beams come on at night this also causes the error bulb light. Dipped beams no problems. Ive spoke to Audi who advised that due to the difference in wattage- the Nokyas are 35W my originals are 29W - and when switching between lights nothing can be done to get this error message away. There's no damage to car - just if I can bare the error message.. cant even override the coding. Unless anyone can possibly tell me otherwise?

So now..... after a lot of time researching bulbs for the newer A3's I think I may just purchase 5202 LED's for the sidelights which draw in minimun Wattage and buy a resistor kit.

Hope this posting has been useful as there doesnt seem to be further updates on anyone trying the H16 bulbs and experiencing no problems.

get some canbus led's with built in resistors no need for external wiring. plug and play!

Reactions: I love A3
Thanks Kash. Can you send me a link of where I can buy the Canbus led's please? Do they definetely fit the 2010 A3's? Ive tried so many different bulbs.. just needing to find one with no problems now

hold tight for a week. my car is coming on monday, so next week i will be contacting my suppliers for some for myself, as i'm changing all the bulbs in my s3.

Really want to do this with mine. How annoying is the error when it comes on? Does it go when the indicators turn off? The missus and i really don't like the original orangey DRL's i know BM Town do a set for £45 but not sure if they come up with an error either...

Yes its rather annoying when the error bulb appears as thats usually where my music tracks would normally appear on my dash. Strangely enough on left indicators the error doesnt show up only on right full turn after maybe 4/5 seconds ( as I mentioned not on quick turn ) & at night time when dipped beams go on. So just now I try to avoid signalling right otherwise the right sidelight goes out completely and im only driving with left one on. At night time as soon as dipped beams are on the error message says check right sidelight/ drl ..

About BM Town- yes I did have a look and called them theirs are also 35W. So the Nokyas should be the exact same but cheaper.

I think I shall do a experiment tomorrow and see if its something wrong with the drivers sidelight I'll put the original bulbs back in and see if error messages still appear. Just so strange why Im not having any problems with left DRL :S Will let you know

Thats a much better look mate, really like the difference it's made - i have the DRL versions on mine; 8P2 though ...

Can't help with your issue unfortunately

Wow, Nico those look amazing as does your car!!! Hope you get the issue solved, if one of them works great with no probs at all, it could be just a polarity issue (bulb maybe just needs taking out again and turning round 180 degrees) with the other bulbs. What a massive difference they make to the overall look of the car, really looks gorgeous! :)

Paulie x

Hey guys I thought ad do quick a update. Thanks Paula and 'SiT' for your kind comments :)

Guess what!!! So far the bulb error hasnt appeared MIRACLE! although I panic when signalling right and quickly cancel as soon as Im round the roundabouts and change to left to come off roundabout lol sad i know but I hate driving around with one sidelight as the right one switches off when theres a bulb error.

I think ever since my petrol light came up it may have possibly fixed this! So now at nighttime no bulb errors at all and not had a bulb error past few days. Touch wood it stays this way and I'll be soooo happy :D

I think I'll order some LEDS just to try out from China as their fairly cheap. Not in a hurry for them though!

That's GREAT news, Nico!!! There's nothing more annoying than the bulb out message on your dash when you just want your car to be perfect, lol. Those bulbs look ace and at night, who'd know your car didn't have Xenons? That dipped beam pic looks every bit as good as Xenon IMHO. You go, girl! Who says us girlies can't mod, lol? :)

Paula xx

Finally a thread that actually tells me what i wanted to know about these damned bulbs lol!

Will definately order and fit asap.

What were they like to fit? I'd like to not **** it up lol! Little bit of a run through if you don't mind?

Finally a thread that actually tells me what i wanted to know about these damned bulbs lol!

Will definately order and fit asap.

What were they like to fit? I'd like to not **** it up lol! Little bit of a run through if you don't mind?

Hey Ashman lol yes I checked out a lot of threads trying to figure out which bulbs to go for or change to HID's

The bulbs are just plug n play mate. No need to remove wheel arch just pop open the bonnet n take off the cover bit and pull the bulbs out theres clips that you do need to remove. the sidelights are harder to take out due to the limited space. Although I didnt do all this myself lol I watched my kind brother :D Theres more details forums on Audi sport about changing the lights or you can refer to your handbook :)

Have you ordered your H16 bulbs? I got mine from J87 on Ebay hes brilliant. I ordered on a Saturday and the bulbs arrived on Friday from America!

Do let us know how you get on :D