Help finding the right 8P A3.

Dave_A3

Reaction score
Firstly i want to say hi to everybody, i joined up yesterday as i noticed the stolen BE thread and had a dodgy encounter a few weeks back.

Anyway i'm looking for an A3 8P between £3500 and £4500 (could possibly stretch to £5000 but then i won't be able to insure it for another month :()

Obviously for one with low miles and decent history i'm going to be looking at an early 53-54 split grill version which doesnt bother me as i want an 08 S-line front end anyway.

The problem is the one's i'm finding inmy price range all have 100k+ miles on Autotrader :(

If anyone knows of any decent low mileage A3's, Either a 1.6, 1.9TDI or 2.0TDI, please let me know.

I'm not fussy on colour, interior, spec etc i just NEED an A3 in my life.

My previous car was a 2002 Polo 6n2 1.0 which i sold a few months back due to needing a bigger car as i have a baby on the way (kinda hard when i'm only 20).

Heres my Polo at point of sale:

IMG00891-20101029-1625a-1.jpg

IMG00915-20101029-1726aa.jpg

IMG00898-20101029-1635.jpg

And in here 'prime':

100_0563.jpg

100_0551.jpg

100_0572.jpg

100_0420.jpg

100_0443.jpg

Anyway i just want to say hi and pleast let me know if anyone has a A3 for sale in my price range :)

When i do eventually find one i will be going down the OEM+ route as i did with the Polo, firstly starting with some BE or Speedline wheels, 08 S-Line front, MY11 Rear lights, Newest shape s-line rear bumper, S-line interior etc..

Thanks,

Dave.

Last edited:
Not sure about the other models, but I doubt you'll find a decent 2.0TDI with under a 100k for that money. I paid 6.5k for my 2004 with 55k miles in Feb and that wasnt expensive at the time.

Welcome, hope you find an A3 but for that price range you need to be looking at the high milers or damaged.

Maybe try an auction?

My dads a trader so hes taking me to BCA in manchester next week at some point and Brighouse, found a decent one on autotrader just now with 48k and FASH but its in Oxford, bit of a distance from Manchester unfortunatly :(

I would go for a high miler but im not in a major rush to find one so i'm gonna wait it out until the right one comes up, just putting it out there on a few sites for one.

Wouldnt mind a light damaged one (pref front end) so i can just put the newer s-line front on anyway but thats my last option i think.

Thanks for the reply :)

Not sure about the other models, but I doubt you'll find a decent 2.0TDI with under a 100k for that money. I paid 6.5k for my 2004 with 55k miles in Feb and that wasnt expensive at the time.

I know dude, i highly doubt i will be getting a 2.0TDI for that money, more than likely just a 1.6 but i want to avoid 2.0FSI's at all costs due to me being 20 and my insurance will be too high on a 2.0 Petrol, i'm happy with a 1.6 though, need to save money due to my first baby due in December.

Save more cash 3500 will get you a banger

Thats just my bottom price dude, 5k this month is my top price, this time next month (payday) i could possible stretch to 6-6.5k, but if i can find one in the meantime i will have that extra grand - £1500 to spend on upgrades which would be nice, i wouldnt mind one with tatty paintwork or light damaged tbh but i dont want to go down the road of recorded damage as i had insurance issues in the past with a Corsa D that i bought.

my advise is to save more cash they may be cheap but they are cheap for a reason save a bit more and get a better car

my advise is to save more cash they may be cheap but they are cheap for a reason save a bit more and get a better car

How much did you pay for yours if you dont mind me asking?

In standard form you basically have the exact spec i want, also what miles etc?

Dave

Save up mate its someone elses knacker for this type of cash ...

Think i'm gonna wait til next month and stretch to 6.5k for a cleaner one now mate unless something special comes up in the meantime (unlikely), Roll on the 24th of June :)

your better off mate trust me it could have a million things wrong with it

Yeah i agree, could pay 4k and end up spending 2k if something goes wrong on it. Thanks for the replies and i love your a3 man!

Save up another 1-2k man. It'll pay off.

Yeah ive seen the light now, just want one so badly, wanted one since i was about 14 when they were released :(

I'm insured on my dads 08 A4 2.0TDI Quattro (170) Sline BE at the moment anyway but i still have to get the bus to work :(

yeah could be an expensive mistake bud , haha thanks mate for some pics of me motor check out my thread in my sig for some inspiration if you like :)

yeah could be an expensive mistake bud , haha thanks mate for some pics of me motor check out my thread in my sig for some inspiration if you like :)

Read every post in your thread yesterday mate, love the carbon touches :)

My mates got a red sportback with a similar theme to yours :)

Read every post in your thread yesterday mate, love the carbon touches :)

My mates got a red sportback with a similar theme to yours :)
ah good stuff dude , yeah im so glad i bought a red car i was looking at a black one the same spec as mine the only difference was it was black and it had full blacl leather but i prefered this red car it stands out a bit from the norm plus i love red cars lol , ah is your mate on here with his sportback if he isnt get him on here :)

ah good stuff dude , yeah im so glad i bought a red car i was looking at a black one the same spec as mine the only difference was it was black and it had full blacl leather but i prefered this red car it stands out a bit from the norm plus i love red cars lol , ah is your mate on here with his sportback if he isnt get him on here :)

Not actually sure if he's on here to be honest, i havent seen any pics of his car anyway, i will get him on here tommorow, i will upload a few pics of his SB aswell :)

Its really clean, its a 2.0TDI with S3 rear bumper, s3/s-line spoiler, s3 rear lights, tints, black BE wheels, s-line front bumper, Nav headunit from an 09 s3, and s-line leather, he's done it all himself for under £1400 (parts) which isnt too bad at all.

Not actually sure if he's on here to be honest, i havent seen any pics of his car anyway, i will get him on here tommorow, i will upload a few pics of his SB aswell :)

Its really clean, its a 2.0TDI with S3 rear bumper, s3/s-line spoiler, s3 rear lights, tints, black BE wheels, s-line front bumper, Nav headunit from an 09 s3, and s-line leather, he's done it all himself for under £1400 (parts) which isnt too bad at all.
yeah man get him on here , sounds like a very nice car too , ive done all the work on my car myself from fitting the coilovers to respraying the bumpers and wheels / grills /badges everything , more of my own that way i think self satifaction and all that lol , yeah get some pics up we love pics on here

yeah man get him on here , sounds like a very nice car too , ive done all the work on my car myself from fitting the coilovers to respraying the bumpers and wheels / grills /badges everything , more of my own that way i think self satifaction and all that lol , yeah get some pics up we love pics on here

Same with the Polo i posted i fitted the coilovers, GTI Brakes, interior, all the gti bits etc myself, saves a lot of money and like you say it makes it more your own and you know its done properly not just bodged together :)

I will take a few pics of his a3 tommorow if i see him as i dont have any at the moment, just sent him a text to get on here but hes probably asleep, i will own an 8p in the next 2 months at the most, even if i have to ebay my baby when its born in december (joking :))

Hi Mate,
have to agree with the above and say that you should save a little more. It helps having a nice car that isnt going to give you a headache and an empty wallet. take your time and find a good one, it will pay off.
also mate was just wondering if you are going to have a baby maybe get a sportback? would be much more handy for the baby seat

Hi Mate,
have to agree with the above and say that you should save a little more. It helps having a nice car that isnt going to give you a headache and an empty wallet. take your time and find a good one, it will pay off.
also mate was just wondering if you are going to have a baby maybe get a sportback? would be much more handy for the baby seat

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Yeah i'm gonna wait and find the perfect car that i want, also limited it down to grey, red or black (whites too expensive :(), i would love a Sportback as IMO they do look better, the only thing is my insurance seems to be dearer on a sportback even though its a 5dr which i dont understand. If i can find a nice clean sportback though i don't mind forking out an extra few quid a month on insurance and as you said it would make life easier, they also seem to be a lot more expensive to buy aswell though and ideally i want a car within the next 2 months as i have missed 2 scans for my baby as i cant take full days off work and getting a bus from work to the hospital then a bus back to work takes a good 4 hours including hospital time so i need a car by the 16 week scan in 6 weeks really. And i cant use my dads A4 in work time as he uses it for work.

I was also looking at mk5 Golfs, but they just dont appeal to me as much as an A3 at all.

Hopefully the right A3 will come up after my next payday, 6.5k should be more than enough really as i'm not too bothered on age aslong as its an 8P.

As mentioned Dave, save up the extra cash - it will be worth it in the long run..good luck!