Volks AutosEM Tuning
    events moderator

Status

rear brake problem

hey all ive got a sticking rear brake on the drivers side and was just wondering if anyone has got a quick fix instead of getting a new calliper thats a last resort thing as they are quite pricey , can i adjust the handbrake off a bit so it free's it up a bit ive already had the pads out and filed them down a bit so they are free in the holders cheers for any help
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Is it the handbrake lever on the caliper that is sticking? if so disconnet handbrake cable get some vice grips on the lever and keep spraying with wd40 and working up and down until it returns to the up position on its own freely

events moderator

Status
    maybe as i dont use the handbrake fully only put it on a bit so it stops the car from rolling as i live in a area and work where its not required strange in wales i know lol , i just found the adjuster at the back of the centre console and adjusted it right off , yeah might give that a try 2morrow to see if its that , i suppose with the handbrake cable off i can tell if its the handbrake or the brake that way i hope i dont have to replace the capliper ive priced them up and im looking around £80 from euro car parts

1st Gear

Status
    i would prob just replace it. its gonna fail sooner rather than later

1st Gear

Status
    or better still when no one is looking swap it over with another car at work! lol plenty of a3's to choose from!

events moderator

Status
    i'll try the handbrake first as there is no point in replacing it if it doesnt need replacing lol

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash3838 View Post
    or better still when no one is looking swap it over with another car at work! lol plenty of a3's to choose from!
    haha we have loads of a3's in work i wonder if they will notice me doing it

6th Gear

Status
    If it is the piston that's sticking then while it can be free'd off it will go again. As said above, I'd check the handbrake pivot point is free, the slides are clean & copperslip'd up.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

events moderator

Status
    thanks matey will take a closer look at it 2morrow , my mpg has suffered really badly because if this problem its got from a nice healthy 45+ down to a 3.2 territory 17mpg

events moderator

Status
    right then update time ive finally got my car back with a new calliper the old one was totaled so had to get a new one and then there was another problem got the car back looks all good but then drove it and the brake pedal goes almost to the floor they have bled the brakes twice still the same anyone got any ideas as i dont want to be driving my car with dodgy brakes , one mate said about it needs to be bled throught vag-com to let air out of the abs pump does this sound about right to anyone who knows or has had this problem before when fittingg new callipers please help

6th Gear

Status
    There is no need to cycle ABS pump, that is only if you fit new ABS unit. If the system is the same as the 8L, there will be a 8mm bleed nipple on the master cylinder at the fluid reservoir - that will be the culprit!

events moderator

Status
    well i have got brakes there , its just the pedal goes too far down it seams i can feel the bite of the brakes starting where it should be working but then the pedal keeps going down till its about 3/4 way down then the brakes work perfect sound like it needs bleeding at that nipple at the master cylinder to you matey

events moderator

Status
    still no luck with my brakes dudes ive bled them myself at my mates garage today only one little air bubble came out still exactly the same as before can anyone point me in the dirrection of the bleed nipple on the master cylinder couldnt find one today all that was there was a multi sided screw dirrectly as you look at it but my mate said thats prob for attaching the reservoir to the master clyinder or is that the bleed nipple help please its starting to do my head in

6th Gear

Status
    im wrong, had a look there!

have you tried bleeding system?

events moderator

Status
    well today we (me and my mate) bled the system rear drivers (new calliper) / pass rear calliper / drivers front calliper / pass front calliper can you send this page to me so i can print it off to show the garage that did the work to see if they did it in that sequence if not can you take a picy of it and either send it to me or post it on here thanks for the help matey

events moderator

Status
    ok a little update on this they have now bled the system and the pedal is better but still not like it was and now ive got the traction control light on got it scanned today and it is saying brake pressure switch fault in electrical curcuit anybody had this before its starting to do my head in now im half tempted to sell her on now too many problems now

Vorsprung Durch Technik
    Snake Champion

Status
    You'll regret selling up Fran, persevere for now. Hope you get the problem sorted soon though dude!

MY11 Audi A3 Black Edition | Ibis White

Technology Pack | Interior Light Pack | Heated Front Seats | Tyre Pressure Monitor | Folding Mirrors | Deletion of Model & Engine Capacity

Follow me on Twitter

events moderator

Status
    i know i prob will but its one thing after another my dash is like a christmas tree ive got the traction contol light on the exhaust emissions light on and the airbag light on lol