Questions about Sat Nav

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok everyone,

Just wondered if anyone knew what the differences were between Audi's normal Sat Nav and the Sat Nav+. I take it the normal one does not have the screen. Is there any real point opting for the cheaper model.

How do you use the MP3 player on the SN+.

Will the SN+ play normal cd's.

Are their any subscription costs with SN+.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

TDI-Line,

I'm waiting for my car to be delivered with Satnav+ but I can answer some of your questions:

As I understand it, the Nav+ unit will play a CD if you remove the navigation disk and pop in a cd, however, you would then have no navigation, hence I have opted for a 6cd in the glove box.
There is no subscription for the navigation but new disks are released by Teleatlas yearly (I think) so to keep up to date, in theory you would have to buy a new disk each year and I bet they aren't cheap!

Haven't the foggiest how the MP3 works!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I see, the dvd needs to be in the SN+ to Navigate, so really no cd player.

But you have got MP3 player, does anyone know how many cd's this will hold.

The phat box looks good too, but i don't want to lose boot space.

Before you consider an audi system go have a look at smartnav, I've had it in the last 2 cars and its been transfered to my new A3. The only problem is a small screen which needs to be mounted as an extra.

I personally prefer the factory fit look, and will be keeping the car as standard as possible. Especially as i get hammered by the insurance companies at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
I see, the dvd needs to be in the SN+ to Navigate, so really no cd player.

But you have got MP3 player, does anyone know how many cd's this will hold.

The phat box looks good too, but i don't want to lose boot space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have SatNav+ and 6 cd changer in glove box (useles in boot, can't change them or play a new one without stopping) and you don't want to be taking the DVD out all the time... If you initialise the memory cards correctly, you can put more than the maual stated 256Mb cards in (I have 1Gb cards) which can get you about 200 tracks.

Got Sat Nav + in my A3, wicked! Also got the 6 disc in the glove box. Not looked at the memory card yet. Off to the States in a couple of weeks, may buy a couple out there, interested to know more about the correct intialisation of them, if it means you go to 1Gb!

Well worth getting the Sat Nav +, works really well, and make the dash look neater than having an after market system fitted. Got mine set up with bluetooth phone system too, so phone mutes radio/CD, but doesn't seem to mute Sat Nav "Doris" when your on the phone, so if you boss calls, she may let you down, as she can reveal where you really are!!!!!!

Funkycat,

Which Bluetooth kit did you get and how did you wire it to mute the stereo? Did you have to get an extra lead? I have been looking in to this and not found any answers. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd also like to know about the bluetooth option. Is it the factory fit option and does it display the phonebook on the SAT-Nav monitor?

Hello all,
I have the Audi SB A3 SatNav+. The Sat Nav is Great and the screen is amazingly clear. Great features. TMC is not yet supported in the UK. I spoke to AUDI about this and they have informed me that this feature will be available on the new DVD later on this year...a bit dissapointing actualy since pretty much all the other dealers have this...

The MP3 player SD works fine as well. It can only carry a 256MB size though, anything more than that and will only show a few tracks, NOT the whole SD card.
I also have the 6cd changer on the glove Comp. and that is working great as well.

Now the Bluetooth story for my side, is that i decided not to go with the factory build due to the fact that the supported phones are old, and when i spoke to AUDI they told me that will most likely not guarantee cradle availability and generic bluetooth standard....
So i decided to go for the HCB300 SonyEr. bluetooth kit with Mute support only and not fully integrated to the main computer. This has not yet been installed due to lack of availability of some cable. I was told that this will be provided to me shortly and that the installation will take place shortly.
Will keep you updated.

Hope this helps

james

I had the old cd Nav+ on our 02 avant and now have the DVD based one on our A3, the dvd one is superb, much better nav system all round.
The SD card slot will take any size, just format the card as FAT and then load them up. It will hold around 20-30 albums and I paid just under £100 for 2 of them from www.blankdiscshop.com
I am going to add a single din DVD player in the glove box slot (and hook it ot the nav+ with a Dietz 1217 adapter) rather than the factory 6 cd changer. (that is we keep the car, wife thinks we need something bigger!)
You can aslo fill a DVD with MP3's too apparently but I have not tried this yet, to be fair 2 gig of music is enough for me. That is around 40hours of tunes I guess.

I am just sorting out the part numbers to add the factory bluetooth kit, and then a cradle from a tird party (the company supplies Audi), just about all cradles are available so why Audi cant supply them I don't know.
I don't think I am going to bother with a cradle though, the phone will sync with the Nav+ via bluetooth so I can control it with that as well as see who is calling etc etc. on the display.

I only got the info I needed today for the original phone parts, so I will do some homework tomorrow and post my findings, the parts are only €150 and the A3 has a harness already wired behind the glovebox, so if you are happy with bluetooth and no cradle looks like it will be a doddle.

Look forward to finding out the details for the original phone parts. I believe Cullmann do the cradle but I prefer to keep the phone in my pocket anyway hence the bluetooth.

gizze,

Would this work without the nav system, and just with the std concert 2. Controlling incoming automatically / muting stereo. With outgoing controlled by voice command.

If so i'm iterested in part no's also.

Gizze,

Very interested in the integration of bluetooth phone and Satnav. Can you let us know how you get on please?

Is it the variocom VC4 and bluetooth card or am I barking up the wrong tree ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif