white smoke

Ed1981

Reaction score
Hi, Ive not long had my Audi A3 2.0TDCI and have notice when pulling away im getting excessive white smoke from the exhaust, just wondering if theres anything common that causes this, or any idea what it could be? it doesnt appear to be using oil or coolant!!

Does it happen when its hot or cold? All the time or first 5 miutes? Only first thing in the morning? Is it deffo white smoke?

Alex

Happening all the time but noticing more when warm, could be sitting in traffic, pull away and smoke the car behind out and the pavement. Its White/blue smoke!!!!

Pretty sure im not, but only have the car a few days. Taken it back to the garge where i brought it from, and theyre going to look into it. Had noticed aoil leak from the back of the head by the exhaust manifold, someone i know thinks it may be an oil gallery leaking, which if leaking into the bore could also be causing the smoke issue. It drives fine other than the smoke, but turbo could be a possiblitly but guess its down to the garage to sort out.

I let the garage know, maybe something they can look into, mite be best for them in the long round to maybe even send it to Audi.

TBH atm pointing to turbo if its pouring out the exhaust, if it was an oil feed line loose or the small return pipe then it wouldnt come out of the exhaust imho, more from under bonnet with burning oil smell through the vents, but certainly return to the garage for testing.

If its doing it on the tick over its normally the turbo if its light grey smoke,white smoke can be air leaking in to diesel or condensation in the fuel,but would say turbo if doing it when sat in traffic,my golf with a milltek on used to store condensate over night when cooling then poor steam out for first few mile but that was all the time

Hi All, my 02 A6 1.9TDI SLine is blowing alot of black smoke, 1st noticed about a month ago. Started it when cold and tried to take off but ended up stalling it, thought it was operator error but tried taking off again and same happened, so when I started it again I said I'd rev it a little but there was very little response. Put the peddle to the floor but the rev counter was very very slow coming up. When going up a small bit of an incline it seemed to struggle and I even had to stop half way up the incline to clutch it and try to get the revs up a bit but again very little response with alot of smoke but when it hit 2500 rpm it took off as normal with a plume of black smoke. This is happening more regularly now, happens when both cold and hot. When it does happen in 1st or 2nd gear there seems to be a hell of alot of black smoke. At 1st I was thinking it was the turbo but there is no whining noise and seems to work fine over 2500rpm expect for the plume of smoke. Tried injection cleaner also but no joy. At this stage I'm uneasy pulling out onto a roundabout or main road because if it happens then it could get me in a bit of trouble. I'm wondering did this happen to anyone here or did anyone hear of this happening.

Thanks in advance.

sully your in limp mode. thats why you have no power until 2000+ rpm , u need to have it scaned on a VCDS n it should tell you the fault.

Probably running lean, maybe a boost pipe has come of.

Thanks for quick reply zedzo, will have to get it checked out.