S3 2nd Gear / 3rd Gear "Notchy" problems

NME

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently I created a post about my gear changes feeling notchy, (not crunchy) when going down into 2nd, and to a lesser extent up into 3rd.

The car has done 44k so is still fairly new-ish and is an S3 8P2.

I bought the car from Audi as an approved Audi last May, so it was still under warranty.

I took it in, and they removed the gearbox, and changed all the syncro's, and under my instruction fitted a new clutch and flywheel.

Got it back, and it still feels exactly the same!

Any suggestions on what it could be? Hopefully the more dangerous and expensive stuff has been dealt with.

Is it a linkage adjustment issue? Bushes?

I saw some people changed their gear change mechanism for a up-rated one - any ideas?

Its driving me mad, as it makes me shudder when I change gear - it makes my car feel much worse than it is!!!

Any help, as always appreciated.

After re-reading this post, and not getting any replies, I think if I was to make my problem and question more concise, it may help with any response.

Basically, has anyone had a similar issue, where they resolved this "notchyness" and where the internals of the gearbox have been ruled out as a possible cause?

If so - what steps did you do to remedy the problem, and how well did it work?

Cheers!

rear engine mount.

I've just acquired a THS one, but it's not going to be fitted to the current car (going on new one), so won't be able to tell if this is a fix until Octoberish.

Mine's always been suspect since about 15,000 miles, but I'd hazard a guess it's a contributing factor.