BBS Speedlines Refurbing :|

Farhan

Reaction score
Right all i just bought some speedlines and i needed advise!

The speed lines have surface corrosion on the outer lip only and i wanted to just have them repaired to oem standards.

The centres are in great condition its just the outers which need attention. Can anyone recommend who to get these repaired from or if its possibly to spray the outers to an oem color instead of splitting them all.

daymn! ill give them a shout if needed nate

Steve - From what i can tell from the photos they have mainly scuffs on the outers but no major curb marks. The scuffs have caused a bit of corrosion onto the lips but luckily the centres and bolts are all in very good condition.

I dont mind giving them a go myself and getting my body shop to spray them up. I would prefer them to stay in one piece ideally but if splitting them is the only option i would rather take it to someone who knows what they are doing

I've split mine today and started to refurb them i've not had a problem so far
Mine were badly curbed but they have come up a treat i vapour blasted the centres
ready to prime and paint have a go just take it easy getting the bolts out

Im still not sure to go satin black centres and gloss lips or all satin black

All satin black splits:

85578d64.jpg

Reactions: Mujnu and tonydata
Looks like im going to have to split them! 8mm spline right? Are the bolts solid? I always have bad luck rounding stuff off LOL

Going to get a compressor and split these, get the outsides sprayed!

i think the outers polished may be better but trying to split them my be a c**t mine are given up for the moment till i can be bothered again pus the bolts keep rounding off so now need to spend another 130 on them a right :asskicking:

The original bbs bolts normaly come out fine .The cheap replacements are the problem .they are not proper titanium they snap ,the splines fall to bits etc etc .If the bolts are branded just usea longer handled rachet/torque wrench to remove them, take it slow and do not use power tools that will just strip them faster.work one bolt then go to the other side of the wheel .Its time consuming .But worth it .Out of 2 sets of my splits ,only one bbsvs bolt snapped.19 of the cheap ones broke ...Try to find stamped replacements if you break any..

Last edited:
Those ones have sold now, went to a lad in Ireland, but I have 2 more sets, 1 8.5 all round and another staggered, so get your orders in :laugh:

Guys the splitting has begun! Removed bolts off two wheels, going to do the other two tonight. All going smoothly so far touch wood.

Just one question does anyone have any idea what torque specs the bolts need to go back in. I was thinking 20lbft with thread lock

I had the outers polished and centres done in range rover rimini red,on my 4x4 :laugh:
DSC_0084-1.jpg

Reactions: Obnoxious Kids
seens yours at UD bro looked excellent.

Now decisions polished....or diamond cut lips hmm

seens yours at UD bro looked excellent.

Now decisions polished....or diamond cut lips hmm
Thanks mate,yeah its getting there.
I think polished look very slightly better,BUT are a pain in the butt to keep clean.
Diamond cut is the more sensible option and still look amazing

Yer polished worries me for that very reason. Im good with keeping my wheels tidy and clean but the way our winters have been lately i dont intend on keeping my standard s line wheels so diamond cut it will have to be :-(

Guys the splitting has begun! Removed bolts off two wheels, going to do the other two tonight. All going smoothly so far touch wood.

Just one question does anyone have any idea what torque specs the bolts need to go back in. I was thinking 20lbft with thread lock

From the polisher on E38 22ft/lds torque, no sealant, loctite on the stud threads.This is what i did, but beware these are alloy over tighten and the threads will simply give they are pretty soft matey .:thumbsup:
Mine are polished and covered in Renaissance wax ;)

good stuff bro, ew aluminium......i remember stripped threads on my last rocker cover NIGHTMARE! i also have extremely bad luck with rounded, corroded, seized nuts and bolts.......seriously and i out of all people follow strict procedures. Wish me luck ill be needing it :salute:

Anyone know what the standard silver is that Audi use on these rims?

I have just bought some 19" bbs speedlines and woyld like to know the exact size/spec of the bolts that hold the wheel together?

What is the correct torque for reassembly? Mine are currently stripped in for refurb.

might sound a silly question but can i split the rims with tyres on? or do i need to remove the tyres ?

Any info on how to get the broken bolts out ?

Any info on how to get the broken bolts out ?

I've personally done this last year, either take it to an engineering place for them to drill it out or you can do it yourself. I can't remember 100% but I think the drill bit I had to use was a carbide tipped drill bit as nothing else will touch the bolts.
As said above afterwards the threads in the wheel will probably be no good so you'll have to helicoil it which afterwards is actually a better thread as I did a few on mine. I split all the wheels myself and then rethreaded any that needed doing as I took them somewhere to be refurbed beforehand and they messed some of the bolts up and even snapped one off.
If you haven't split the wheels yet, if you're going to do it then it's easier to do it when they're warm so I left mine in the house for a couple of days first and luckily all the bolts came out