Audi Tax Disc Holder Whats the Wire For ?? :L

Adam-f

Reaction score
When i bought my A3 I noticed the tax disc holder has a small black wire going to it, it then trails down the window and down the back of the dash what's the wire for ? im guessing the tax disc holder is a Audi one ? its black leather good quality just wondering about the wire, its it for the central locking or radio antenna ? lol :)

When i bought my A3 I noticed the tax disc holder has a small black wire going to it, it then trails down the window and down the back of the dash what's the wire for ? im guessing the tax disc holder is a Audi one ? its black leather good quality just wondering about the wire, its it for the central locking or radio antenna ? lol :)

Has it aftermarket telephone kit in it ? they sometimes use the tax disc holder as a antenna

Don't think that's a standard Audi thing so to speak.

I've seen ones that were GPS antennas. They were extremely fugly.

Mines got that thing too.

I remember a while back there was a 'phase' of tax discs being stolen from cars, as well as other stuff off course, and sticking the holder to the window using the wire to prevent a 'quick steal' was something brought up at the time.

Don't quote me on that however, it's just something I seem to have a vague memory off.....(it is Friday afternoon however, and my mind starts to wander at about this time off day)

Some Pics , No its doesnt have a telephone kit

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Do you have RNS-E (the DVD sat nav)? Seem to remember some people couldn't get good enough signal putting the GPS aerial behind the cluster so used these instead…

thats a phone Ariel i take loads off when fitting new windscreens

Weellll, I do remember asking the dealer to remove the phone kit that was installed in mine. So this could be the answer - not sure if the OP has the same ? :icon_thumright:

Do you have RNS-E (the DVD sat nav)? Seem to remember some people couldn't get good enough signal putting the GPS aerial behind the cluster so used these instead…

I dont have RNS-E but im thinking on fitting it in the future, could i use this as a aerial for the gps ? :)