Wheel Bearings :(

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
Ok yeah so my car has been making weird pattering noises when steering to the right and has gotten louder these past few days so I discovered that it was my drivers side wheel bearing which is bad.

I Jacked it up and there is some play in it also.

Is it a big job to replace? does anyone know a rough figure to buy new bearings?

cheers

Bearings are around £80 - £90 each, plus around £100 for labour. I did one of mine last year for £175

Its a couple of hours to replace, but dont know how hard it is.

There are 2 different bearings 3 or 4 bolt fixings, make sure you get the right one (i dont know how to check but IIRC I used the 4 bolts for my A3 2.0 TDI 2005)

I took mine to my trusty local independant. As above the parts are £90-£100 (depending on front or back) and the labour was about £50 for the replacement of one of the rears on my 2005 (I'm pretty sure the front costs more...).

Depending on where you take it i'd make sure they have got the right tools, if I remember correctly it was a VAG special socket that was needed. The chap that did mine didnt have one but luckily knew someone that did.

Does anyone know which type i need? Im looking to order online tonight so that hopefully ill get it faster than call around tomorrow and wait for them to have to probably order it in.

my car is the audi A3 SE TDI reg in 2003 but its the mk2 model.

:)

If you have the tools then it's an easy job. I replaced mine not so long ago on the front passenger side. Bearing was about £130. You will need some spline drive sockets and a breakers bar.