A3 2.0FSI Engine Noise

whammer007

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up my 06 A3 last week and i'm enjoying it so far (apart from a crack on the windscreen that happened on the second day).
I was listening to the engine with the bonnet up, and I thought it sounded kinda tappety/clattery.
It drives fine and pulls well, it also starts right off the button.
Are these engines noisy, it's not really loud but seems annoying. Obviously it's near silent in the car.
Can anyone share their thoughts?

Regards,

Col

The tfsi isn't renown for being the quietest of engines. Mine sounds like a diesel sometimes so I wouldn't worry about it.

hi people ;)

AS LONG AS YOUR CAMSHAFTS ARENT WORN OR THE CAM ROCKERS OR STICY HYDROLIC LIFTERS ARNT CAUSING THE TAPPITY NOISE THEN YOUR NOISEY ENGINE CAUSES ARE MORE THAN LIKELY WHAT I HAVE EXPIERENCED OVER THESE 23 ENGINES IVE COME ACROSS.

BOTH 2.0FSI and 2.0TFSI engines,
on these engines they are CAM belt AND CHAIN driven.
the only rattle or tappety or diesel noise come from the CHAIN DRIVEN SIDE OF THE CAMS (EXT&INL) INBETWEEN THE CAMS THERE IS A HYDROLIC TENSIONER THAT RUNS OFF OIL PRESSURE TO WHICH TENSIONS THE CHAIN ON BOTH THE CAMS.
THE RATTLE YOU HEAR IS THE HYDROLIC TENSIONER FAILING ON IDLE SPEED. WHEN YOU REV OVER 1600RPM THE NOISE DISSAPEARS.
SO BUY A NEW CHAIN NEW TENSIONER NEW GASKETT (METAL PLATE TYPE) AND A NEW FUEL CAM FOLLOWER .

BEFORE DISMANTLE MAKE SURE CRANK AND CAM TIMMING MARKS ALINE!!!!!!

THEN BEFOR RE-FITT CLEAN ALL OIL WAYS BEHIND THE HYDROLIC TENSIONER AND THE CAM VARIATION SENSOR LOCATED ON THE CAM BOX END WHICH COVERS THE CHAINS ECT...

AFTER REPLACEING THE CHAIN/TENSIONER,THEN REPLACE THE HPFP CAM FOLLOWER,.

THATS IT START HER UP AND NO RATTTLES TAPPET DIESEL SOUNDS!!!!!!!
AS LONG AS YOU DONE THE JOB ACCORDINGLY YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO RE-SET ANY THING ALL MANAGMENT LIGHTS WILL GO OFF ON ROAD TEST.

REMEMBER CRITICAL TIMMING MARKS MUST ALINE BEFOR AND AFTER,DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU DONT HAVE MECHANICAL SKILLS.

I HAVE DONE 23 OF THESE FSI/TFSI ENGINES WITH SAME ISSUES IN THE UK.

BEST REGAURDS KHAY

Just wondering if someone else can confirm what khay had said, only 1 post so a second opinion would be brilliant.

I believe i have this problem which is causing oil pressure lights, and very strange noises.