Views on 2.0 FSi

A4_2point4

Reaction score
I would be interested to hear owner's experiences of the 2.0 FSi A3 models (either 3-door or S/B).

My main requirements in getting an A3 would be refinement, quietness, good handling, and economy. Good performance would be a bonus ! I have driven the TDi, but it was really too noisy for me. Reports on the 2.0T look very good, but what is the economy like under realistic conditions ?

Also, is Tiptronic worth getting ? (DSG doesn't seem to be available on the FSi)

Sure you can not compare it to a turbo engine, but I find my 2.0FSi to be a very quiet and refined drive and it feels a lot stronger than the 1.6FSi that I test drove. Haven't taken it above 3500rpm yet, because it is still being run in, but there is plenty of power at low revs. Driving through town in 5th or 6th is no problem at all.

I can't wait to give it some though, since the real power is supposed to be above 4000 rpm :)

It does sound rather rough while idling after a cold start (My old vectra 1.6 16v was completely silent when idling) but apparently that is a characteristic for all direct injection engines. Once on the move though it is very very quiet. Doing 140kmh (88Mph) you can not hear the engine at all.

I had a 2.0FSI. Its certainly less 'peaky' than the TDi but the power lasts longer through the range. I felt it much nicer than the TDi; quieter and more refined, yet when revved quite quick...
But then again.... I went for bust and chopped it in for a 3.2!!

bowfer, we're not talking about chipping cars. Of course you could install a supercharger to NA engine also, but is that any real comparision anymore? No warranty for your chipped engine. Your torque figures give it nice torque for few thousand rpms, after that you have to change to higher gear. And look mama, who is delivering more torque then to the wheels? It's important how much torque you get to the wheels, instead of what your engine makes. And this is where gearbox comes in effect. Lower gear gives you more torque to the wheels, making engine's "numbers" insignificant. It's the horse power that makes the car move, not the turbolag which you want to feel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak