A couple of questions about a 2011 S3....?

Amos

Reaction score
Firstly HELLO.....!

I'm thinking of buying a 2011 S3 Black Edtion, but I have some question about it...?

Is the Tiptronic gearbox GOOD/BAD, is it the same as a DSG VW one...?

Has anyone sorted mud-flaps for the new S3 yet ( I have read the post saying there not avaliable )...

Does a Remap cause clutch slip after so my miles, as I like a couple of trips to The Ring each year....

Anything else I need to know about these cars etc....

PS:- Its a Sportback one I'm looking at, as Im fed up waiting on the so called RS3....! lol

Many Thanks

Aaron

Hello and welcome,

S-tronic is a VW DSG, R-tronic is the old sequential manual (not sure if S3s come with R-tronic, but avoid it if they do). Have a test drive with both gearboxes to see which you prefer, some people just don't like the flappy paddles.

Remaps are generally set to be just within the clutch's limits (<310bhp), any higher and you'll need to upgrade the clutch.

Last edited:
OH.........

And when is a new version of the S3 due....?

the S-tronic is identical to the DSG so youll have nothing to worry about there, its a quality gearbox, the S-tronic box is also a lot stronger then the manual so its more then capable of taking the loads from a map unlike the manual which will have the clutch failing within 10-15k miles

Hello and welcome,

S-tronic is a VW DSG, R-tronic is the old sequential manual (not sure if S3s come with R-tronic, but avoid it if they do). Have a test drive with both gearboxes to see which you prefer, some people just don't like the flappy paddles.

Remaps are generally set to be just within the clutch's limits (<310bhp), any higher and you'll need to upgrade the clutch.

Its not the top end power that kills the clutch is the torque, and the way the boost comes in during turbo spool at low-medium revs.
Making over 310 bhp is not a certain criteria that will mean your standard OEM clutch will slip.

OH.........

And when is a new version of the S3 due....?
We don't know for sure when the new A3 is out, probably 2012 sometime. The S3 unlikely to be out on the new platform right away, so would have thought late 2012 or more likely 2013 sometime. But it's all guesswork at he moment

OK, I'm a bit lost....

Will the DSG model hold the remap better and last longer, than a manual model....?

The S-Tronic gearbox is really good - and it's just a bonus that it handles higher power / torque without undue problems. I really didn't like the idea of an auto 'box, but was totally converted on a test drive.

I didn't like the idea of an automatic at all either, but for injury reasons I was forced from my 315bhp Astra VXR (have to admit I was kicking and screaming, lol), but after my first drive in my S3 S Tronic, I was hooked and now can't wait for when I get it remapped. You'll love it Dude, no doubt about it. :)

Paulie

I hate DSG.....

.....because it's so good that I'll never ever be able to own a manual again.

Reactions: kevin88
Another quick question....

Do the silver painted brake bells, rust VERY quickly like BMWs do.....!