New Style Window Switches

Reaction score
Spent this morning swapping over my old window switches and mirror switch on my 2006 sportback
to the newer style switches with the silver tips only to find that only the nearside rear switch illuminates and works,
All other window switches including mirror switch are not working :(
infact not even my door lock/unlock swich on drivers door works:(
i did take drivers door card back off to try old switch (which was working fine before retrofail),
but NO JOY!!!!!
Luckily enough my key fob still locks/unlocks the doors,
NO scans done yet and i am completely stuck :(,
Anyone got any suggestions???

Yes go back & check your wiring is intact & as already discussed vagcom is invaluable in circumstances like these when things go wrong, point you in right direction to trace the faults.

I'll scan the car & see what we can find :)

I take it it should be a straight swap Nigel? IE no changing pins around/requires a later module etc?

It was late last night so didnt even click until now & your avatar shows facelift car, but hold on 1 sec, what year is your car, as if its not a later car the switch wiring will probably need changing as I fitted the newer door modules & swapped all my wiring round to suit for locks etc, thats your issue.

Reactions: minibob79
Part numbers for switches are:
4FO 959 851 H5 (S/B drivers switch)
4FO 959 565 A5 (mirror switch)
4FO 959 855 B5 (passenger switch/,

Thanks Nigel, my car is a 2006 model so I will have the old wiring I guess,
Strange that one of the rear door switches work while the rest don't :(
I hope the changing of the wiring sorts this out,
Thanks guys
Martin

Reactions: N8
I paid £38 for drivers window switch/es,
the other 3 window switches £13.39 each,&
mirror switch £24.52, from Stoke Audi,

Last edited:
Reactions: N8
Nigels spot on (as usual LOL). Had a quick look at 2006 & 2010 wiring and almost none of the wiring matches for the front driver switch! The rears look a bit closer. I'd need to sit & try work out what needs swapped for you. Your still welcome to pop round tomorrow if you want car scanned.

Ever tried to take a switch apart & swap the chrome bit across LOL (I DONT recommend it!!!)

Turns out swapping caps across does work & they dont spring to bits when you do it! I hope you can resolve the remaining issue this weekend.

Driver window wasnt working (just clicking) hopefully due to corrosion on a pin between the drivers door module & the loom so going to try a repair wire in the loom and clean pin on the module.

I was surprised how much longer the 3 doors are than on the SB (6"??)

Switches do look nice in the flesh :)

LOL- do I ever?

We put his original swithes back in and just swapped the chrome parts across due to the wiring having changed between 2006 and the facelift for the actual switch. I used my switch to test that the module hadnt been damaged and I noticed my 3 door trim was a lot longer that on his Sportback.

is it me or is Khufu not making any sense today?

Yer think, I read him exactly how you did, confused.com, today that is lol

LOL- do I ever?

We put his original swithes back in and just swapped the chrome parts across due to the wiring having changed between 2006 and the facelift for the actual switch. I used my switch to test that the module hadnt been damaged and I noticed my 3 door trim was a lot longer that on his Sportback.

Ahhhh bistro, all becomes clear now, but does the alum trim part come of easily, thats essential for my mods to come :)

Only thing is, if he wants to sell his leftovers make sure advertise as MY09 onwards as pins will be different & you know what ebays like, you make 1 small mistake, you get the crappiest feedback & rubbish from ebay/paypal.

Just to clarify, the "button with the ally insert" comes away from the switch housing,
Don't know if the actual ally insert comes away from the button easily ;)

Just to clarify, the "button with the ally insert" comes away from the switch housing,
Don't know if the actual ally insert comes away from the button easily ;)

So where on my current switch the window picture has worn off the new chrome button will have the picture to transfer across? not just the little alloy part?

is it me or is Khufu not making any sense today?
Lol, that made me laugh. He is Scottish, just as I am, put it down to our weather, lol. I currently sitting as passenger in a nice shiny new Red Audi R8 having just been to the track we going to do a track day on. The whole time we were there the rain just bounced down, and now that we have got a few miles down the road, the sun decides to come out. I just sitting here on my trusty Ipad in total luxury that I cant live without and my Ipod plugged in reading some threads here on ASN and just had to defend my fellow Scotsman, lmao at the usual quality banter. I have to tell you, sometimes I may not quite understand all the technical details, but this is way more interesting than keeping up with Facebook.

So where on my current switch the window picture has worn off the new chrome button will have the picture to transfer across? not just the little alloy part?

Yes the bit with the small ally trim and the pic of the window on it just pops off the actual switch very easily and if your car has the older wiring (2006) like mine you just replace your existing switch Buttons/caps with the new ones, oh god now I'm not making sense,
Like I say it is very straightforward!!!!
Why didn't i just do this to start with??

Yes the bit with the small ally trim and the pic of the window on it just pops off the actual switch very easily and if your car has the older wiring (2006) like mine you just replace your existing switch Buttons/caps with the new ones, oh god now I'm not making sense,

Is that so... :eyebrows: lol, just kidding. Good to know that it's an easy swap around my buttons are slightly worn too, at least they came to their sense and the alloy trim isn't just about looking pretty... As you will all be aware this is the part that wears out quickest leaving the horrible white plastic juxtaposed against the black of the switch looks real nasty! I'll be getting this done asap. Cheers martinivw & Khufu for the pointers :)

Like mine :(
d22c32c1.jpg

Oh man, not that bad :p hahaa... well on it's way though mate and it's extremely infuriating to say the least!

Lol, that made me laugh. He is Scottish, just as I am, put it down to our weather, lol. I currently sitting as passenger in a nice shiny new Red Audi R8 having just been to the track we going to do a track day on. The whole time we were there the rain just bounced down, and now that we have got a few miles down the road, the sun decides to come out. I just sitting here on my trusty Ipad in total luxury that I cant live without and my Ipod plugged in reading some threads here on ASN and just had to defend my fellow Scotsman, lmao at the usual quality banter. I have to tell you, sometimes I may not quite understand all the technical details, but this is way more interesting than keeping up with Facebook.

Show off, i must have missed my invite!

Show off, i must have missed my invite!
Hi, you didnt miss invite, sadly you had to work. It was a kinda spur of the moment to go for a look around. All we need now is a date that suits you and we can get on with it. It should be fun, but I hope its a dry day though. A lot of surface water that doesnt appear to drain very well, but what the hell it will be fun anyway. So get some dates picked Ewan.

Could you provide any pictures of before and after and is there a certain way to remove the toggle switch or is it just a simple flick out job. Could be a popular mod?

Hi guys, newbie's first post! I bought my '06 A3 Sportback 6 months ago and the window switches have annoyed me ever since! I want to swap them over and am glad to read that I can simply replace the caps (i.e. the actual buttons with the window picture on.

One question though, how much work is involved with taking the door card off etc to be able to take off the original switches?

Cheers guys.