How do I make sure I'm buying the right size spacers?

wez3570

Reaction score
Just shopping for some coils and spacers.

Wanna drop about 25-35mm lower than the current s-line setup.

How can I be sure which size spacers to buy?

How do these look?

Audi A3 15mm Alloy Wheel Hubcentric Spacers All Models on eBay (end time 24-May-11 13:04:51 BST)

Obviously I wanna avoid rubbing and will remove the common problem 'arch screw' lol

Have already got front and rear top mounts on their way.

Do i need anything else?

Are long locking bolts easy to source?

Can anyone recommend a place for fitting/alignment in Sheffield/South Yorks area?

my wheel size is 18" x 7.5j Et 54 all round. 5x112 PCD.

Tyres are 225/40/18

I've spent the last couple of weeks trawling the forums for answers but not quite got there.

Anyone help?

Cheers

they just for the rear or the fronts aswell?
I'm not sure about putting them on the front but the rears will be fine i'm sure

think you can go 15 at the back and 13 at the front and you should be fine

they just for the rear or the fronts aswell?
I'm not sure about putting them on the front but the rears will be fine i'm sure

Looking at the car itself, I would like something on the front, just to bring it out a a little.

Looking at the car itself, I would like something on the front, just to bring it out a a little.

if you want to keep the track even, you need 2mm per side more at the back then the front

what do u reckon to those 15's i linked to?

Seem cheap

they are very good value for money! but ive never tried them, i think N8 may have used them so he could be worth dropping a message. one thing that will be worth doing, before you fit them, get your wheels rebalanced with the spacers attached (mark them as well so you know how to line them up) or youll run the risk of getting vibration at motorway speed.

they are very good value for money! but ive never tried them, i think N8 may have used them so he could be worth dropping a message. one thing that will be worth doing, before you fit them, get your wheels rebalanced with the spacers attached (mark them as well so you know how to line them up) or youll run the risk of getting vibration at motorway speed.

Yeah, I saw a post regarding balancing, some guy used double sided tape but I'll just mark them as you say.

Don't want any bad vibes on the freeway! lol

Cheers Jungleman

Bump for any other help

Re fitting and garage recommendations?

Cheers

I'd actually love to have a go!

Unfortunately where I live I have no off street parking :(

Hi Wez

I have just had the H&R spacers fitted to my S3, I got my local garage to fit them as I don't really get my hands dirty these days. After they were fitted I had issues with the steering wheel wobbling at about 75mph.
Jungleman advised me to get the wheels balanced with the spacers fitted, this worked a treat. (Thanks Jungleman!!)

Coxy

Hi Wez

I have just had the H&R spacers fitted to my S3, I got my local garage to fit them as I don't really get my hands dirty these days. After they were fitted I had issues with the steering wheel wobbling at about 75mph.
Jungleman advised me to get the wheels balanced with the spacers fitted, this worked a treat. (Thanks Jungleman!!)

Coxy

haha thats about when i get my wobble as well lol glad the balancing sorted it

I'd actually love to have a go!

Unfortunately where I live I have no off street parking :(

to be fair mate you dont really need off street parking, as long as youve got room to take a wheel off then your sorted, or if your worried about being in a road, which is understandable, local supermarket carpark? lol

I haven't taken any pics since having the spacers fitted, will take some over the weekend.
Thanks mate

What Coilovers are you fitting?

Yea all sorted, had the wobbly problem for a few days and have been driving down the M1 into London all week, hate driving the car when there is something wrong with it.

Just shopping for some coils and spacers.

Wanna drop about 25-35mm lower than the current s-line setup.

if your in the market for coilovers, depending what your after, N8 does V-Maxx and im setting up a group buy for weitec and kw, ill have prices up by tomorrow night so hopefully one of us should be able to sort you out

if your in the market for coilovers, depending what your after, N8 does V-Maxx and im setting up a group buy for weitec and kw, ill have prices up by tomorrow night so hopefully one of us should be able to sort you out

Excellent cheers, I'll keep an eye out for the thread as I still haven't made my mind up whether to go uber budget Jom's, (short term) recommended on here by numerous members.Or do I think long term and go with a more expensive kit.

It's difficult when there is such variety and almost everyone recommends the setup they have!

personally id wait and save for the set you really want, otherwise youll be spending twice for fitting and alignment and youll loose money on the old set up, with that extra money you could either spend that on another mod, or put it towards a better set of coilovers
depending what you want really, i cant comment on the quality of v-maxxx but am sure N8 can advise on them (if they were poor im sure he wouldnt sell them), weitec are made by kw and are their cheaper version, so you get a very well set up product but in a more budget form. kw are the daddy of street/fast road use coilovers

Hi Wez

Jungleman advised me to get the wheels balanced with the spacers fitted, this worked a treat. (Thanks Jungleman!!) Coxy

Hey mate,
Can you please post up some pics of your car with the spacers?
From your pic, it looks like you are running the standard S3 wheels.
Is your car lowered? If so, with what?

Thanks!

Hey mate,
Can you please post up some pics of your car with the spacers?
From your pic, it looks like you are running the standard S3 wheels.
Is your car lowered? If so, with what?

Thanks!

Hello mate

I will take some pics and get them up over the weekend, yes I am running standard S3 wheels as yet it's not lowered. Gotta take time with the mods as the wife thinks I'm wasting money.

C

Hi wez
On my a3 i ran 12mm front and 18s on the rear,i had no issues untill i went proper low.
That was with the 18" s-lines
Cheers Jules

Remind me and i'll bring to the meet and may even let you borrow them to try

Hey,just found a crappy old pic lol
a3spacers.jpg

Jules, the stance in ur pic is just what I'm after.

Height and width.

So that pic was with the 12's and 18's?

What springs/coils were u running on?

Oh and yeah, see u at the meet, I'll PM u the day before to remind u.

Hey Wez
Did you get the email and pics I sent you after you requested them for my H&R spacers on eBay? The alloys in those pics, the std 18" S-line alloys are the same size as the wheels you are fitting so that'll give you an idea of how they will sit, bearing in mind I had 10mm on the front and 15mm on the rear.

CIMG0847.jpg

MG I did mate cheers.

Got them on watch :thumbsup: