Volks AutosSky Insurance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2008 58 S3 Bose

1st Gear

Status
    Blowse sux but the stock system sux even more.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Love the Bose in mine, even though i have changed and gone Non OEM on the HU. SQ is perfect when tweaked right from the HU, the vocals and tweeters sound spot on. My only problem is that i wish the sub could handle a better bass line. i mean its good for standard music but when you push it, it just hides away. i know that there was a replacement sub for the 3door 8L bose but i wish that someone could do the same for the 8P SB.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Amazing how much a symphony & rns both using Bose, sound so different, symphony puts out a fair bit more bass, which tbh imho is too much.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    I have the BOSE in my S3. Overall the sound quality is pretty good. I have not heard the standard stereo to compare to and it is certainly the best sound system I have heard in any car I have owned.

I have three criticisms, listed in ordered of impact to listening experience (most severe listed first):

(1) You cannot turn-off the auto-EQ background noise compensation and it is implemented terribly. Especially at lower volues when there is a perceptible jump in volume when engine noise increases or lowering in volume when you pull up at a junction or ambient/engine noise drops quickly. I have had the car in to Audi to look at - their engineer can hear the the changes in volume that I report but the company line seems to be to assert that it is a feature. This is true, but it is a feature that has been implemented in a p**s poor manner.
    (2) It is too forward and harsh sounding for a lot of modern music when playing it at a reasonable volume. I am not sure if there is a lift in the EQ curve in the midrange, but it is certainly not as nice to listen to as my stereo at home (which is certainly not considered a laid-back sound). This is a lot to do with the quality recordings though - older music in general sounds great.
    (3) Bass isn't tight enough and doesn't go low enough (again, compared to a high-end full-range home stereo system).
    Audi S3 8P3 | Milltek TBE | AmD Stage2 | H&R ARBs | Bilstein B14 Coilovers | Sachs Racing Clutch

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by craigd1234 View Post
    (1) You cannot turn-off the auto-EQ background noise compensation and it is implemented terribly. Especially at lower volues when there is a perceptible jump in volume when engine noise increases or lowering in volume when you pull up at a junction or ambient/engine noise drops quickly. I have had the car in to Audi to look at - their engineer can hear the the changes in volume that I report but the company line seems to be to assert that it is a feature. This is true, but it is a feature that has been implemented in a p**s poor manner.
    Lost that as soon as i went to Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by craigd1234 View Post

(2) It is too forward and harsh sounding for a lot of modern music when playing it at a reasonable volume. I am not sure if there is a lift in the EQ curve in the midrange, but it is certainly not as nice to listen to as my stereo at home (which is certainly not considered a laid-back sound). This is a lot to do with the quality recordings though - older music in general sounds great.
    lost that too with pioneer as the EQ is fully customisable

(3) Bass isn't tight enough and doesn't go low enough (again, compared to a high-end full-range home stereo system).[/QUOTE]
    My main issue with bose!

Need to get that bass down low

A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    As I said before, BOSE is one of my fav options with the car.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

jsh
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
    Blowse sux but the stock system sux even more.
    hmmm fine critique!
    Cheese likes this.
    And back again
    A4 2.0TDi S-Line Cab (2009) Dolphin Grey, Black Fine Nappa, RNS-E DVD Nav, Bluetooth Phone Prep

Gone....
    S3 Sportback S-tronic (2010) Ibis White

Going going..... Gone! (and very much missed)
    A4 2.0TDi S-Line Cab (2007) Dolphin Grey, Black Fine Nappa, RNS-E DVD Nav, Bluetooth Phone Prep

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh View Post
    hmmm fine critique!
    Its a one phrase critique from someone using Meridian gears for home use. Maybe over in Europe, nobody knows who Blose is, but over in 'merica, we know it is a snake oil company.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12