Fuel Contamination

Brian566

Reaction score
My A3 2 tdi would not start at home and was recovered to audi garage who spent a long time trying to diagnose the fault and in the end they went for bad fuel

Drained and cleaned out all the fuel system and new filters car started ok and ran ok

They have mentioned in the report that it may have damaged the fuel pump seals and injectors but they do not show any faults just covering themselves

As anbody any ideas on if the " Contaminated Fuel would have done any damage to the Injectors or pumps seals Car runs ok and Audi can see any faults

20 litres was put in to the car at a Shell garage and aprox 20 litres was in the tank the Car had a 200 mile run on the motorway no problems

The fuel sample that audi took wa a dark colour with a slight blue layer at the top when stood " Not Petrol Mix "

I think the problem was when the car was stood 4 days the Diesel Seperated and that is why it would not start

Anbody else had fuel issues

I guess it depends on what it was contaminated with, did they have any idea from its smell etc? Any more complaints made to the filling station? mind i doubt they'll admitt anything. You'll soon notice any other problems to help prevent, id run forte to help keep things lubricated.. Good luck and fingers crossed it ok for you

Where did you fill up mate?

I always keep my receipts until I fill up again incase of any issues like this so I can prove where I got the fuel from.

I'd bill the garage for any damage

I always keep my receipts until I fill up again incase of any issues like this so I can prove where I got the fuel from.

I'd bill the garage for any damage

Been on to Garage never had any problems !!!!!!
filled a online compliant form form for Shell

I have a sample of the Fuel

I guess it depends on what it was contaminated with, did they have any idea from its smell etc? Any more complaints made to the filling station? mind i doubt they'll admitt anything. You'll soon notice any other problems to help prevent, id run forte to help keep things lubricated.. Good luck and fingers crossed it ok for you

Audi Had no Idea what was in the Fuel only that it did not look right

It's probably dodgey fuel from wherever you filled up mate.

Boats run on diesel are susceptible to a diesel "bug" which basically gets into the tank and feeds off the fuel, leaving behind a sludge which can cause injector issues. Sounds ridiculous i know, but its a huge issue for boat engines, usually resolved with bug treatment chemicals. Had a search on the internet there and there are cases of it happening to diesel cars aswell. Just something to take into consideration.

The problem is most likely due to dodgey diesel from wherever you filled tho!

good luck

Not sure if this would affect a car? but some garages now sell diesel with addblue which is used in HGV's? May explain why is blue coloured.....

AdBlue, despite the name, isn't blue - it's clear. It's also a separate liquid added to a different tank. It's used in the exhaust system, shouldn't go near the engine bit.

It's probably dodgey fuel from wherever you filled up mate.

Boats run on diesel are susceptible to a diesel "bug" which basically gets into the tank and feeds off the fuel, leaving behind a sludge which can cause injector issues. Sounds ridiculous i know, but its a huge issue for boat engines, usually resolved with bug treatment chemicals. Had a search on the internet there and there are cases of it happening to diesel cars aswell. Just something to take into consideration.

The problem is most likely due to dodgey diesel from wherever you filled tho!

good luck

Its caused by bio-diesel. If moisure gets to it it grows into the black sludge your talking about. Few years back we had a pump maintanance man in repairing one of our pumps & he warned us we would be cleaning the filters a lot more often in the future since they were going to be adding a percentage of bio to regular diesel as per government directive. This has proved correct, when the diesel pump starts to pump slower its a sure sign the filter is clogged.

Generally if theres a problem at a pertrol station, you will soon know about it as cars would be breaking down all over the place. This happened at my work long before I started. Texaco delivered a compartment of contaminated petrol. What must have happened was it still contained a soapy mixture they use to fill the tanks when working on them to render them safe. Upshot, Texaco denied it, had better lawyers etc & the garage nearly went bust repairing peoples cars that need sorted & the loss of all the fuel that was contaminated!