Lower rear Valance (or Diffuser) clarification

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've spent ages trawling through the threads thrown up by Searches, but I still haven't found my answer.
I've got a 2007 Sportback Sport (140 TDi) and want to make the rear bumper look a bit smarter. I'm undecided on the Votex rear diffuser (despite having the Votex skirts and front spoiler) and was hoping to just change the lower section of the rear bumper for one off of a newer shape A3. I don't mind fiddling about with the mountings, as long as it physically lines up with the bumper.

What I've got at the moment is just the standard body-coloured valance that curves boringly under the bumper. Is it possible to fit one of the newer style ones that have they grey panel in it? And what should I be looking for. To be honest, it'll probably come from ebay and their descriptions are generally poor, so any info that'll help me identify what will fit and what won't will be greatfully received.

You probably know this already from the model, but I've got the twin tailpipes.

Thanks,
Dan

You won't be able to change just your lower diffuser/valance to that of a newer style A3 (2008/2009 onwards). The bumpers are totally different and so are the diffusers.

Your options are putting a 2006-2008 s-line diffuser on your sport bumper, but that will require a bit of bodging to get it to fit, and IMO I don't see the point in this mod as it doesn't really improve the look.
Or you can upgrade to a 2009 onwards rear bumper with diffuser or a 2005-2008 s-line bumper/diffuser. These look much better as the newer bumper and similar aged s-line bumper are totally smooth and doesn't have the rib strips that your current sport bumper has.

OR you could go for a complete S3 rear bumper/diffuser.

Thanks aythree, that's a lot of good info.
I like the sound of changing the whole bumper for an '09 or newer, but do these have the cut-out for the twin tailpipes?
Also, how do you think it'll look considering the front bumper is the standard sport one with Votex spoiler? Will it look odd as the rear one will be smooth? I wanted to avoid changing both bumpers for s-line ones because of the cost.

I was told You can bodge an S3 bottom half on the sport bumper and it wont look too bad ?If so then it would suit the votex sides and front until you have cash to change to s line bits?

Last edited:
That's an option. I wonder how easy it'll be finding an S3 bottom half.

Thanks aythree, that's a lot of good info.
I like the sound of changing the whole bumper for an '09 or newer, but do these have the cut-out for the twin tailpipes?
Also, how do you think it'll look considering the front bumper is the standard sport one with Votex spoiler? Will it look odd as the rear one will be smooth? I wanted to avoid changing both bumpers for s-line ones because of the cost.

The bumpers for single and twin pipes are the same. Its the diffuser that goes into the bumper are either single or double tailpipe,you just need to make sure you get the correct one.

Yeah the car on the whole won't look as good as it would do if you changed the front too. Not sure if it'll look odd though, just down to opinion really.

The cost of a front and rear conversion doesn't have to cost loads. Have a look at the link to my thread in my signature. Mine is a 3 door but costs should be similar if you have patience and search about for best prices. Maybe even a bit cheaper as sportback rear bumpers can be cheaper and easier to get hold of.

I was told You can bodge an S3 bottom half on the sport bumper and it wont look too bad ?If so then it would suit the votex sides and front until you have cash to change to s line bits?

You can, but it look pants IMO.
Also S3 bottoms only look right with S3 skirts. Mixing it with anything else just doesn't look good to me.
But again, it's all down to taste.
S3 valance/diffusers are hard to come by too.

I wonder where all the lower valances go. The bumpers on ebay seem to be sold without them for some reason. :uhm:

You can, but it look pants IMO.
Thats your opinion mate .I have seen plenty of A3's with Sport bumpers and diferent difusers around
And they look smart .Depends how good you are with your hands i would say .
Theres One on ebay now with the painted bit also .Search it .

I've looked at that one on ebay, but the bit that worries me is "Note: The picture used above is for illustration only. Actual item might differ."
It also says "Does not include Bottom Spoiler or Mouldings".

SteveL - what bumper is on the car in your signature? It's too small for me to see clearly.

Thats your opinion mate .I have seen plenty of A3's with Sport bumpers and diferent difusers around
And they look smart .Depends how good you are with your hands i would say .
Theres One on ebay now with the painted bit also .Search it .

I think what it is... To the untrained eye it probably looks ok, but to someone who knows that an S3 bottom never goes with the older style sport bumper it just stands out like a sore thumb and looks thrown together, and like half a job.
But yeah, only my opinion on it.

I've looked at that one on ebay, but the bit that worries me is "Note: The picture used above is for illustration only. Actual item might differ."
It also says "Does not include Bottom Spoiler or Mouldings".

SteveL - what bumper is on the car in your signature? It's too small for me to see clearly.

Its standard sport mate .I am going s3 route myself .Its just a waiting game on ebay and at the breakers yards
Im happy to wait as long as it takes as i am keeping this car for a few years

I think what it is... To the untrained eye it probably looks ok, but to someone who knows that an S3 bottom never goes with the older style sport bumper it just stands out like a sore thumb and looks thrown together, and like half a job.
But yeah, only my opinion on it.

Like i said thats your opinion ,Anyway ,I am talking about circa 2007 bumpers ?these are not the newer bumpers,The facelift bumper are not a match ?Can you clarify without confusing people further ?
Post some pictures then ?
I will gladly fit an s3 difuser to my sport bumper until i have all parts i need ..
I am new to Audi and must have an untrained eye x .

S3 SB diffuser fitted to my 08 S-Line rear bumper

DSC09223.jpg

DSC09225.jpg

You guys crack me up :laugh:

Like i said thats your opinion ,Anyway ,I am talking about circa 2007 bumpers ?these are not the newer bumpers,The facelift bumper are not a match ?Can you clarify without confusing people further ?
Post some pictures then ?
I will gladly fit an s3 difuser to my sport bumper until i have all parts i need ..
I am new to Audi and must have an untrained eye x .

Yeah I know it's my opinion, I've already said that twice.

I think it might just be you who's confused here Stevo, but repeating what I posted above...
Facelift bumpers/diffusers (2009 onwards) are totally different to pre-facelift (2004/2005-2008) bumpers/diffusers. You would have to fit either a complete facelift rear or a complete pre-facelift rear, you can't mix facelift and pre-facelift bits (although you can mix pre-facelift s-line and facelift S3 bits - but that ain't me making it confusing, it's Audi who did the designing. Dont shoot the messenger.)

N8's pre-facelift s-line bumper and S3 diffuser set up is the same as a complete S3 rear because the s-line and S3 bumpers are the same.

There's a good reason you hardly see anybody doing the Sport bumper/S3 diffuser mod.... and it's because it doesn't look all that good I'm afraid, and is a bit fiddly.

But like you said, your eyes ain't bovver'd, so it's all good, go for it.
I was just offering MY OPINION to the OP so he had the thoughts of someone who's actually done a rear conversion and looked at all the options :yes:

XXXXXXXXXX

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions guys. Sorry for setting everyone off, but it's nice getting everyones feedback.
At least now I've got a good idea of what definitely won't fit, and what may fit but will need more researching.
Cheers.

Dan - Just thought of something...........
If you are considering fitting an S3 lower to your Sport then the more I think about it the more I'm sure its a straight fit for Sportbacks. It's the 3 doors that need a bit of bodging to get it on.

You won't be able to change just your lower diffuser/valance to that of a newer style A3 (2008/2009 onwards). The bumpers are totally different and so are the diffusers.

Your options are putting a 2006-2008 s-line diffuser on your sport bumper, but that will require a bit of bodging to get it to fit, and IMO I don't see the point in this mod as it doesn't really improve the look.
Or you can upgrade to a 2009 onwards rear bumper with diffuser or a 2005-2008 s-line bumper/diffuser. These look much better as the newer bumper and similar aged s-line bumper are totally smooth and doesn't have the rib strips that your current sport bumper has.

OR you could go for a complete S3 rear bumper/diffuser.

bang on the money i had to buy an sline/ s3 rear bumper for my sline valance. got the port bumper on the ramp and tried to fit it it just wont work and looks naff.

as i am changing my car i may be selling my rear sline bumber and valance