Urgent help needed, TURBO not working

S3_Jacko

Reaction score
Hey guys,

need help!!!

I've got an a3 2.0t fsi quatrro and have noticed a sudden drop in power!!

It seems like the turbo is not kicking in. The car has been pretty sluggish the last while when 1st started but I always associated that with the engine being cold.... I've got not warning lights on my dash and the car is driving ok apart from the obvious drop of power....! There is no black smoke coming from the exhaust and the engine sounds normal... I'm going to garage it on weds, but i'm ****ting it incase its the turbo.... any ideas??

Cheers, Jack

Will it go past 60mph?
Is there no power when your foot is planted?

It might be in limp mode.

Scan it with VCDS

Yeah, its seems to be driving like a normally aspirated car now, can't quite work it out!

There are no bad noises from the engine and I would say all was good but just no turbo, v weird

Just had it out again and is driving fine.... just no boost, can't get underneath to see if theres any loose hoses etc....

Might just need to bite the bullet and garage it

what year is it sounds very much like you have a faulty diverter valve if so they are around £50 and easy enough to change on your own just jack car up from drivers side undo electrical plug and 3 bolts remove and fit new in reverse order!
HTH

Reactions: S3_Jacko
I've heard about that valve antmax..... its a 2005 and i've heard that they are quite common for failing every 15000 miles but only had the car for the last 8000 so I don't really know. I installed a forge blow off valve onto the car a while back and i'm guessing the valve that goes over the top of that is the diverter vavle??

Cheers Jack

Its an atmospheric valve though, and think the diverter mite be the problem, just had a look and a forge 1 is 142 quid!?!?

Also worth checking maf sensor, they dont usually show fault codes or warning lights. Faulty diverter valve would give you misfires and loads of other issues

Cheers navnayyar, learning as I go mate.... found 1 for 45 quid

Also worth checking maf sensor, they dont usually show fault codes or warning lights. Faulty diverter valve would give you misfires and loads of other issues

I was about to mention this. The MAF sensor went on my previous A3 and it was like the turbo just wouldnt kick in. On the motorway I could just about get to 65-70MPH but it was a struggle. Had it replaced and everything went back to normal.

Does anyone know where the maf sensor is located?

I take it, thats the plug, top left of the engine!??? I unplugged that and it made no difference to the performance

Last edited:
Hey guys,

need help!!!

I've got an a3 2.0t fsi quatrro and have noticed a sudden drop in power!!

It seems like the turbo is not kicking in. The car has been pretty sluggish the last while when 1st started but I always associated that with the engine being cold.... I've got not warning lights on my dash and the car is driving ok apart from the obvious drop of power....! There is no black smoke coming from the exhaust and the engine sounds normal... I'm going to garage it on weds, but i'm ****ting it incase its the turbo.... any ideas??

Cheers, Jack

I had this similar experience in my new A3 1.4TFSI. It seemed as if there wasnt any turbo boost was just running off the 1.4. So what I did was I ran the petrol down and put some of that BP Ultimate stuff in - As soon as a I drove off it felt abit more roaring to go! Then it felt back to normal! Maybe you had rubbish petrol in?

You need to get it scanned/logged with VCDS mate to diagnose properly as you can spend a fortune replacing parts willynilly and still not find the cause