AH FabricationsEM Tuning

Thread: Fog surrounds

Neutral

Status

Fog surrounds

Just a quick question, does anybody know if the chrome fog surrounds can be replaced with black ones without changing the whole grille? Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Dont think so mate, I've just got some new surrounds for my S3 and they are all one piece.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Neutral

Status
    damn more expense, i take it you got the black surrounds? how much were they btw?

Banana Menace!

Status
    You could always take the chrome rings apart from the grilles and wrap them with either gloss or matte black vinyl to get the same effect. I wrapped mine with carbon vinyl during the week as I wanted to lose the chrome look, took me half an hour to do them tops and it only cost me the price of the vinyl. I did notice though that the rings have a part number stamped on them, but not sure if they can be bought separately.

Paulie
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Neutral

Status
    Thats good to know that they do come off, will look into wrapping it. Never done anything like that before, is it difficult or fairly simple when you get the hang of it?

Banana Menace!

Status
    They come off quite easily Ollie, there are a few clips holding them into the mesh grille part, but 2 of the clips in particular have little lips that if you push them back the rings will come away with ease. The trick to wrapping them is to heat the vinyl up with a hairdryer, take your time and to use the edge of a credit card or a proper vinyl squeegee tool to smooth it down. Just make sure you use 3M vinyl (comes in carbon, gloss or matte black) as this is the stuff that stretches when heat is applied. It wasn't hard, worst bit was getting burnt fingers from the hairdryer, lol

I did mine in carbon vinyl, but from a distance it just looks black, which is what I wanted.

Paulie

Last edited by Paullie; 7th May 2011 at 18:41.
    MY10 S3 8P3 S-TRONIC, IMOLA YELLOW
    SHARK PERFORMANCE STAGE 2
    - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Neutral

Status
    Cheers paulie for the info, think if i go for it may do some trial runs then wait for my fingers to heal lol. Like the look of the carbon too, will do a bit of research!
    Ollie

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie86rn View Post
    damn more expense, i take it you got the black surrounds? how much were they btw?
    £48 quid a side for my S3 ones!!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

2nd Gear

Status
    8P0 807 682 F and 8P0 807 681 M bought mine from ebay.de for around £50 including delivery a few months back. Still havent got round to fitting them yet though !

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    £48 quid a side for my S3 ones!!
    That's probably the reason they got stolen as that is a lot of money for some plastic...
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack