new wheel and tyre advise please. current ones are sooo bad. :(

MiT

Work Hard, Play harder!!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need some of your expert advise pleeaassssee.
Before i post on forums i do search, i have read the rimz thread (well kind off, too much all over the place, but was good), and read some good threads (most of the comments where from N8 and Luke).

but this is my problem...

when i bought my car they already had some genuine 19" wheels. The guys said the car had been lowered by Audi by 30mm, i think Eibach. The current tyre's are 235/35/19.

Now over the last two few years, i have had to change the tyres, and even get the one of the wheels fixed since it had a crack. There is loads of corrosion and curbing (i blame my dad :mad: for the original curbing, then to be honest i become a bit reckless).

Today i find out after going to the tyre garage that the reason for having the flat tyre is the wheel in bent in several places and the air is leaking, goes flat almost in two days and the inside part of the tyre is almost gone.

So i thought why not get a whole new set of wheels and tyres. quicker the better.
But i dont know what offset to get. can i read this from the current wheels? Should i get the same size and offset?
I did find the current wheels not too comfortable, i live in Birmingham and there are pot holes everywhere!!

I would like to get 18" just for comfort but don't know what size tyre and offset, unless i can get some comfortable 19", also when looking in the rimz thread i have no idea what some of the wheels are called. My car is sliver a3 1.9 tdi se 8p. Will put some pics up.

Any information would be appreciated, i dont want to spend a great deal (going sri lanka for two weeks in two months and trying to save up :) ) so about £500 would be nice (doubt it though), willing to stretch a little if worth it.

thanks

some pics (sorry wheels are dirty):

when i bought the car:

This is why I don't like replica alloy wheels, they are prone to bending/buckling/cracking as they are made from poor materials, and are very soft. What wheels are you looking at OEM ones?

This is why I don't like replica alloy wheels, they are prone to bending/buckling/cracking as they are made from poor materials, and are very soft. What wheels are you looking at OEM ones?

A guy from a tyre garage looked at the wheels and said they not replica. i have no idea.

Doesn't have to be OEM.

Genuine 18" rs4 style wheels should be within your budget. Alternatively s3 wheels, also within your budget

Audi S3 Alloys with tyres | eBay UK

thanks.

But the question is would they fit? since my car has been lowered?
what size wheels should i be looking for?

ok.
so what size should i by looking for then please?

I think N8 was just making a general comment about how reps are usually cack.

I fitted reps to my last car. They were 18" BMW MV3s and were supplied with Falken 452s, all for the princely sum of around £400 deliverd. The wheels were staggered fitment just like the OEM ones and had the same offset. The wheels were so good that not even my local BMW dealership could tell the difference. On the other hand, the OEM wheels on the 1 series that my wife had at the time ended up with 3 so badly buckled that they had to be replaced. The 19" BMW wheels are also so renowned for cracking that they have featured on Watchdog.

Now I know we are talking Audi here and they do generally do better wheels but from my experience replicas aren't all bad. Infact, some of the worst damaged wheels I've seen over the years have been OEM on mainly BMW, Seat and Honda. If you can afford OEM then it's definitely better but not all reps are bad. The place I got my last wheels from have an ebay store with a good choice of Audi wheels. I wouldn't hesitate in using them again and hope to get some wheels from them later in the year.

The place I got my last wheels from have an ebay store with a good choice of Audi wheels. I wouldn't hesitate in using them again and hope to get some wheels from them later in the year.

thanks for the info.

Got a link?

the world is your oyster when it comes to wheels for your car there are so many to choose from listen to n8 tho he the man when i comes to wheels , go oem tho vag wheels are usually built well just like the cars , in work we have just replaced two bmw 19's because they were cracked so know what your saying 1inchpunch about bmw wheels are ****e lol

I think N8 was just making a general comment about how reps are usually cack.

I fitted reps to my last car. They were 18" BMW MV3s and were supplied with Falken 452s, all for the princely sum of around £400 deliverd. The wheels were staggered fitment just like the OEM ones and had the same offset. The wheels were so good that not even my local BMW dealership could tell the difference. On the other hand, the OEM wheels on the 1 series that my wife had at the time ended up with 3 so badly buckled that they had to be replaced. The 19" BMW wheels are also so renowned for cracking that they have featured on Watchdog.

Now I know we are talking Audi here and they do generally do better wheels but from my experience replicas aren't all bad. Infact, some of the worst damaged wheels I've seen over the years have been OEM on mainly BMW, Seat and Honda. If you can afford OEM then it's definitely better but not all reps are bad. The place I got my last wheels from have an ebay store with a good choice of Audi wheels. I wouldn't hesitate in using them again and hope to get some wheels from them later in the year.

BMW wheels crack due to the run flats, there is no absorbency in the tyres whatsoever, so as soon as you hit a pot hole its good night!

Facelift 18s in sepang bronze? I'm looking to change the pic of them is in my avatar

Hi
I have a set of 18" S3 Facelift alloys going spare. Genuine Audi S design, a couple of small marks on 2 and 1 has a kerb mark. Only done 10K so overall very clean. Serviceable OEM Bridgestone rubber all round so ready to fit and go. WIll be listing in the classified section over the next week. First £450 will get them. Will take some pics over the weekend. PM me for details

I think a lot of it is luck TBH..
I had a set of BBS on my Golf that just bubbled up and underneath was just a chalky corrosion. I would never have them again but many have no problem with them.