A3 dash icon...what is it?

R

Reedswood

Had a successful drive from England to Scotland and back, but near to home this orange light comes on:

33218w1.jpg

I had the AirCon on...would this have caused it?

That's a generic error light. In my case, the first time it came up was when my EGR valve broke. The second time was when the cut-off flap broke.
You have to scan for the errors to see what happened.

doesn't appear to be the EGR valve as there's no acceleration issue...all I can think of it's something to do with the A/C, as it only appeared some while after I started using it!

It's in for a Service shortly, so will get it scanned!

@s3dave, my A3 is a 2004, so it is in the right forum!

I'd put money on EGR too being a diesel too LOL. As said, a scan will let you know. You enjoy Scotland at all?

I'd put money on EGR too being a diesel too LOL. As said, a scan will let you know. You enjoy Scotland at all?

If it were the EGR...what are the symtoms?

Yes, had a lovely time in the Borders, Peebles, Edinburgh (Royal Yacht Britannia), Rosslyn Chapel...many places...weather was perfect!

i have this light on my car except on mine its a lamba sensor gone (petrol engine) i'll get round to it soon i think lol

One of the symptoms i had was when i turned the car off it juddered, with the new throttle body its smooth and i dont feel anything.

Check fuse F8 under the engine.

You can clean the EGR valve which is easy enough otherwise it is £175 to replace from Eurocarparts (3-4 years ago)

when my petrol 2.0 had problems with the EGR valve only thing that happened was light came on, no other symptoms at all.

Glad you had a good time & weather was actually dry!

If it is the EGR, beside the light in the dashboard, you may experience loss of power, slow acceleration, the engine does not run smooth. All these happen if the EGR broke in the open position. This means that nomather what, some of the exhaust gas is pushed back in the engine. If the valve was closed when it broke, than there will be no apparent symptoms. The engine will run smooth. That's why some choose to delete this valve.

If it is the cut-off flap, the symptom is a judder when turning off the engine. Also, if you are unlucky enough to blow your turbo, the oil that lubricates it is drawn in the engine, the engine will rev up and you won't be able to switch it off. This would be disastrous.

@Smoothie: The thread was opened in the 8L section than it was moved here.

Is that not the emissions light?

I had this on the dash last year, and ended up replacing the cat so that could be a possibility. Most likely an EGR issue though

Best get it plugged in

IIRC that is the engine management light which comes up for mostly all engine issues... its a needle in a haystack until you have it scanned and properly diagnosed.

from my manual it says it's the Emission Control System issue, but I do remember that I filled up using BP Ultimate Diesel with additive, so would this mess up things?

Just get it scanned instead of speculating what it is, you wont know until this is done, its a clear as that.