Should my boot ONLY unlock when...

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
...I press the boot unlock button?

I only ask because mine does, but I was reading on here somewhere that people prefer not to open their boot with the boot button which got me thinking whether I'm missing something.

You can either unlock the boot with the boot button on the key or the unlock button on the drivers side door. Simples.

Characteristics of what opens when the keyfob buttons are pressed can be changed with VCDS in convenience module.

I have selected all doors and boot to open when pressing the 'open' key on the fob. All will lock when driving and if the key remains in the ignition then the door button must be pressed to open another door or the boot from the outside.

You can either unlock the boot with the boot button on the key or the unlock button on the drivers side door. Simples.

I've never checked to see if the boot unlocks with the button on the drivers door. I'll check that now, thanks.

...or a double press of the unlock button on the keyfob, if you have single/selective door opening enabled.

To be honest, i'm having trouble getting my head around the OP's question.

If I press the boot button on my keyfob then my boot doesn't UNLOCK... it actually pops OPEN... i.e. slightly lifts.
The only way I can unlock it without it popping open is by pressing the unlock button on the driver's door, or as above, a double press of the keyfob unlock button (I've got selective unlocking enabled - single press of button unlocks only driver's door, double press unlocks all doors and boot).

Without selective locking enabled, pressing the unlock button on the key fob once, unlocks all doors and boot. It doesn't 'pop' the boot, just unlocks it.

As I mentioned above, if the key remains in the ignition after driving (autolocked) then the only way to unlock the 3 passenger doors and boot is by using the door switch. The key fob buttons become inoperative.

Without selective locking enabled, pressing the unlock button on the key fob once, unlocks all doors and boot. It doesn't 'pop' the boot, just unlocks it.

Yep, I know that, but....
the OP says when he presses the BOOT BUTTON it ONLY UNLOCKS.
Maybe it's just his wording, but to me 'open' and 'unlock' are different things.

Yep, I know that, but....
the OP says when he presses the BOOT BUTTON it ONLY UNLOCKS.
Maybe it's just his wording, but to me 'open' and 'unlock' are different things.

Sorry my bad, it does OPEN which to me also meant it unlocked. Didn't know until reading these replies that you could also just unlock the boot without actually popping it open. Which is handy :)

I can't get my head round the locking and unlocking of my car at all. I can't even use the excuse of only having the car 2 weeks because my wifes Seat is exactly the same. I just press the unlock button repeatedly when I approach the car and hope for the best.

Out of curiosity. Has there been any problems with lock actuators going on these cars? It was a common problem on BMWs with auto speed locking.

Just been out to mine and can confirm that the boot 'open' button on the fob allows the boot lid to be lifted without pressing the button in the handle. Presumably that is classed as 'opens' ? All other doors remain locked. When shutting the boot lid again it automatically re-locks.

Without the selective locking enabled the 'unlock' button on the keyfob 'unlocks' everything but doesn't 'open' anything !!

Bloomin complicated to explain eh !! lol

p.s. the lid on the sportback , well mine anyway, does not actually lift on opening, perhaps due to the extra weight over and above the 3 door ?

I can't get my head round the locking and unlocking of my car at all. I can't even use the excuse of only having the car 2 weeks because my wifes Seat is exactly the same. I just press the unlock button repeatedly when I approach the car and hope for the best.

Out of curiosity. Has there been any problems with lock actuators going on these cars? It was a common problem on BMWs with auto speed locking.

Usually only the boot lock when it's been flooded by the rear washer pipe coming off in winter !

As previously mentioned the settings can be changed with VCDS

Yup, I'm going to have to find someone in Scotland with VCDS or invest myself. Map in the VCDS section doesn't offer much hope.

Good to know the actuators aren't too fragile. The BMW ones cost about 170 per door.

Ok went to check out the boot unlock feature and it seems that I have a fault somewhere.

The boot will OPEN when the fob button is pressed, but when I double press the door unlock button on the fob or press the unlock button on the drivers door, nothing happens - the boot does not unlock. I know it's not meant to pop open, but it doesn't even unlock to allow me to open the boot manually with the tailgate button.

Any ideas why this is?

Sounds like there's a fault then.
So basically you're saying the only way you can get into your boot is by pressing the OPEN boot button on your keyfob to make it pop up?

What is your current locking set up??? Does one press of your unlock button open ALL of your doors or just the driver's door?

Sounds like there's a fault then.
So basically you're saying the only way you can get into your boot is by pressing the OPEN boot button on your keyfob to make it pop up?

What is your current locking set up??? Does one press of your unlock button open ALL of your doors or just the driver's door?

No, one press opens up just the driver's door and a double press open up the passenger door.

No, one press opens up just the driver's door and a double press open up the passenger door.

Same as mine then. The double press should defo unlock your boot as well then.
I can't remember if there's a setting in VCDS that allows you to specify whether the boot unlocks as well.
I can check tonight if someone doesn't answer that first.

Same as mine then. The double press should defo unlock your boot as well then.
I can't remember if there's a setting in VCDS that allows you to specify whether the boot unlocks as well.
I can check tonight if someone doesn't answer that first.

I did wonder whether it would be a VCDS thing. If you could check this out that would be great thanks.

Will do. Also see post #19.

Yeah it does look like a coding issue after reading that.

If I went to a dealer with the code below - would that make things easier and quicker for them to fix?

New coding which solved my problem:

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 8P0-959-433.lbl
Part No: 8P0 959 433 J
Component: KSG H11 0080
Coding: 1880202002186D0885054C8FC637
Shop #: WSC 00443 210 91141

Part No: 1K0 951 605 C
Component: LIN BACKUP HORN H03 1301

Part No: 1K0 907 719 C
Component: Neigungssensor 005 0003

Part No: 8P0 951 177
Component: Innenraumueberw.H04 0020

No fault code found.

Yeah it does look like a coding issue after reading that.

If I went to a dealer with the code below - would that make things easier and quicker for them to fix?

I doubt it'd make any difference to the price that they charge you, to be honest.
If you are going to the dealers you could mention that you think its a coding issue, but first up I'd check out THIS to see if there is anyone near you who can scan your car to see what's what.
Or now might be a good time to buy your own VCDS lead from NHN --->> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-formerly-vag-com-forum/72359-vcds-supplier.html

I doubt it'd make any difference to the price that they charge you, to be honest.
If you are going to the dealers you could mention that you think its a coding issue, but first up I'd check out THIS to see if there is anyone near you who can scan your car to see what's what.
Or now might be a good time to buy your own VCDS lead from NHN --->> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-formerly-vag-com-forum/72359-vcds-supplier.html

Wow that VCDS map is handy!! :)

I would buy the kit myself but I am a mac user and really dont fancy having windows installed on a separate partition just for one piece of software.

I would buy the kit myself but I am a mac user and really dont fancy having windows installed on a separate partition just for one piece of software.

I know what you mean, but its a small headache for a VERY helpful bit of kit.
Not to mention the potential savings you can make on issues/faults like you have at the moment.