Rear Wiper Nightmare!! Help Please!!

Adam-f

Reaction score
Ive had a real nightmare with my rear wiper on my A3, firstly when i purchased the car around 2 months ago i tried the rear washer jet when i got home and the water just runs from the inner boot lining which i heard is a common fault? so Ive avoided pressing the rear washer, Then i tryed the rear wiper and it came on and stopped in the middle of the screen so i give it a nudge and it worked ok and has been doing so for the passed few weeks,

Then the other day i switched the rear wiper one and it stopped in the middle of the screen again so i got out to give it a nudge and it was stopped dead and wouldn't move, i opened the boot and there was a horrible smell burning like if the motor has burnt out, i check all the fuses and there all ok, so i then decided to remove the boot lining to investigate, when i got the plastic trim off i removed the alu cover from the wiper motor and the mechanism was full of a horrid brown gunk and it was all corroded and rusty, I cleaned the mechanism and tried the rear wiper again but it does not work at all is this a common thing ? also theres a small PCB module (computer) the the left of the wiper motor what is this ? it seemed like the burnt smell was coming from there? Help please!

Regards Adam

Take it off and completely de-wiper it. Looks a lot better. Just keep the car clean :)

It is an easy mod - 2 torque screws in the boot liner, pull like you have never pulled before, boot liner off, 3 bolts holding in motor, unplug motor switch and water pipe. Seal water pipe and tie wrap up.

You then need a bung to fill the hole where the wiper stalk came out: www.gecleant.de is where I got mine and is a straight forward fit!

Take it off and completely de-wiper it. Looks a lot better. Just keep the car clean :)

It is an easy mod - 2 torque screws in the boot liner, pull like you have never pulled before, boot liner off, 3 bolts holding in motor, unplug motor switch and water pipe. Seal water pipe and tie wrap up.

You then need a bung to fill the hole where the wiper stalk came out: www.gecleant.de is where I got mine and is a straight forward fit!

I was thinking to de-wiper but the car is still under warranty so should i get them to replace the motor first ? so when i sell the car i can pop it back in, i also tried to remove the wiper are the other day and it completely stuck on, i even tried pullers and it still would not budge lol

Still under warranty !! Take it back immediately and get them to sort it.

You can get all sorts of problems occuring including damage to the central convenience module damaged by water leak.

Hopefully they will fix all the problems but tell them about the burning smell.

I had a seized rear wiper sitting on the wrong side of the boot and wouldnt move either... i ended up buying a new rear wiper motor and just fitted that.
Its a 30 minute job max and it works perfect after swapping it out and it only cost me £40. As its still under warranty get them to fix it and then think about delete after.

Still under warranty !! Take it back immediately and get them to sort it.

You can get all sorts of problems occuring including damage to the central convenience module damaged by water leak.

Hopefully they will fix all the problems but tell them about the burning smell.

Ill ring them asap, Do you think i should tell them that Ive had it apart ? or could that void warranty ??

Unless it's obvious you've been into it then don't tell them. If you have to tell them say you were worried about the burning smell and thought you should check for safety reasons !

Unless it's obvious you've been into it then don't tell them. If you have to tell them say you were worried about the burning smell and thought you should check for safety reasons !

Cheers :) , any idea what the module is in the boot ? when you take the plastic trim off its on the left of the wiper motor ?

That is probably the diversity amplifier.

The central convenience module is behind the boot trim on the offside. It is on the sportback anyway !

If it's under warranty then put everything back in together and call the dealership / warranty company.
Don't waste your time trying to fix it if you can get it fixed free of charge by someone else mate.

Whats the central convenience module for ??

It controls, and allows you to adjust things like how the central locking works, how the windows/sunroof operates and what alarm systems are employed and how they are activated, amongst others.

Take it back to audi and they will fix it under warranty.

Then De-wiper it and keep the parts for when you go to sell the car. Gecleant.de do nice glass wiper bungs, they are around £20 posted. It's an easy job to do