Budget coilovers - Opinion's or suggestions please?

Blueie

He who dears' wins!!
Reaction score
I have ta technics .Was ok when fitted ,Now they feel every little mark in the road
Recon im loosing weight being shaken to death LOL

the apex kit isn't coilovers it's just 30mm lowered springs and dampers.

the FK kit I can't comment on. but I have the JOMs and they're good for what you pay for.
they go pretty low and are comfy. I'm not sure how long they'll last but you can't expect a lot from cheap coilovers.

the apex kit isn't coilovers it's just 30mm lowered springs and dampers.

the FK kit I can't comment on. but I have the JOMs and they're good for what you pay for.
they go pretty low and are comfy. I'm not sure how long they'll last but you can't expect a lot from cheap coilovers.

Supose you get what you buy for but for £200 cant go wrong really with 12months warrenty, just wanted to know the ride quality. Im on 50mm eibach springs and they are pretty hard

Go a little more for APs. ;)

APs double the price! lol

Supose you get what you buy for but for £200 cant go wrong really with 12months warrenty, just wanted to know the ride quality. Im on 50mm eibach springs and they are pretty hard

well as I said then mate they go low and are pretty comfy :icon_thumright: WIN!

ive just put a set of technics on so far so good and im wound nearly all the way down

ive got v-maxx's on mine and they smooth as hell and really comfy too very well damped to be fair they handle big bumps very well much better than the nasty sport set up i came from they are a little bumpy over the smaller bumps but on the whole im happy with them if your going to get some of them spek to n8 i got mine off him :wub:

[/CENTER]4]V-Maxx are a good budget brand.

I'm on the v maxx mate and got them as low as they go and its honestly smooth as chocolate!

Only trouble I'm finding is getting used to how serious the handling is!

It's like being on rails!!!!

V maxx ftw...

As mentioned the V-Maxx are a very good option if your budget allows.

For coilovers under £200 you can't get much better then the JOMs.

Give me a shout for any prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

For anyone looking to find out how low your A3 will sit on the v maxx bearing in mind i am on standard S line wheels, measuring from the centre of the Audi badge to the very top of the arch:

310mm on the front
300mm on the rear

thats as low as they go and it does sit nice and low, the only thing it does is encourage you to go for bigger wider pimper wheels! lol

VMR's hmm
Bentley's Hmm
Speedlines Hmm
BBS CH-R's Hmm

The choices...

As mentioned the V-Maxx are a very good option if your budget allows.

For coilovers under £200 you can't get much better then the JOMs.

Give me a shout for any prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Damian, had a look on your website and it notes that the JOM's lower -70mm where ive seen by another well know dealer they lower by -100mm. Could this be a different type of kit?

V-Maxx are good kit, so yeh if you want gimme a shout.

Thanks N8!

Thanks for the great feedback guys, V-Maxx get a good review just my budget and plans dont allow me really and im tempted to go with the JOM's which are half the price

I've just fitted JOM, and gotta say im well impressed for a budged coilover. The ride is fine, not too harsh and the go low as foook

All the drops that we state on the website are what the manufacturers state themselves and what are within the TUV approval, some kits may go lower but this would then be out the stated TUV range.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I often wonder just how much better the vmaxx's are in terms of comfort as they're near double the price! Would the guys running JOM's say they were superior to sport/ S line suspension?

Anybody riding JOM's just above the tyre... (not tucked) are they still as comfortable at this heights?
I maybe getting some cheap coils, although I got some FK shocks and springs.... seeing the drop on them isn't quite what I want.... I am planning to go KW V2 in the future but don't want a crap ride while I am waiting lol.

V-Maxx are comfy for sure, can't comment on JOMs
i can vouch for that a rolls royce hasnt got anything on my a3 for comfort lol , iv heard that the joms arent to bad i think ash has them on his car and he is happy with them

When I first fitted the JOMs I had them about 1/2 way down and they felt like stock, but a little firmer in the bends. Could barely notice they were fitted in terms of comfort! Now I've wound them right down they are far more bumpy (you feel far more of the smaller imperfections in the road). That said, this is a similar story to all coils I've had in the past (KW, FK, Koni).

A direct comparison is immpossible as I have had the above coils on different cars, but as a guide I'd say the JOMs are less forgiving on the really bad roads & absolutely fine everywhere else. TBH at around 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost, and considering I drive on pretty good roads most of the time I'd happily make that saving ADL.

I'm in no doubt a direct comparison on the same chassis would reveal a superior ride on the more $ coils, but I'm less convinced about justifying the proportion of extra cost incurred for the difference, particuarly on the better roads.

Wish I'd read that post about 2 hours ago Tim, I just ordered some KW springs, lol. Not much reviews on them but they are said to go well with the FK shocks I got (power high tec damping adjustable supposedly just like or the same as koni yellows) and drop the car to just above the tyres ala RS3 which is what I'm after.

Cheers for the post though as it kind of backs up what I thought about most coilovers until you start spending on damping adjustable etc, differences seem to slight to warranty the extra dosh as they all are 2 year warranty's until you get stainless ones.

Bit irrelevant maybe but i did the same and thought id go for the cheap option on my old car (Vauxhall Corsa C ) i had a set of Ta Technix they went nice and low and tbh the ride was pretty good but they were very poor build quality and after about a month i stated having trouble, they were banging badly when driving on rough roads and the one day the bottom of the front coil over strut housing which holds the damper the weld broke and came of slicing straight through my CV boot and leaving my car literally decked :L , After that experience i don't think id buy cheap coil overs again especially on a worth 8K>> and being about 700Kg heavier than a Corsa lol

Good reviews hey!

Right get some pics up with the amount you have lowered your coilies!

N8 - Your not allowed your on bags! :moa::thumbsup:

On JOMs all the way down on the front and just 10mm up on rear:

Photo085600x450.jpg

Photo098600x450.jpg

Sweet!:jump::jump: Cant wait to get some coilies! Wanna go lowww!

depends what wheels you got mate, what size/width are they?