A3 2.0T vs A3 3.2 vs A3 2.0 TDI ( Quattro's )

Dave10

Reaction score
Hi all,

Now yes the title is abit strange, and obviously the TDI loses out.

However the main contemplation being between the 3.2 vs A3 2.0T thread again.
- Is .5 of a second noticable in accleration, and on from that say at 70 MPH in 5/6th which would be quicker to say 90-100 MPH. I'd say the 3.2 but it's heavier and praps not as much torque lower down the range. Dunno this is why I am asking for user opinions as to is it really noticable the difference.

If not then is the 2.0T the best option for costs which I suspect it is and is most likely plain obvious. A chipped 2.0T maybe a different kettle of fish.

As for the 2.0 TDI which I currently own would it out accelerate in any case any of the above two as I know they pull in any gear and just go like the wind. It's the 2.0T which raises my eyebrows a little.

DM - Videos of 2.0T please anyone ( vids@david-mann.com ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

40-100mph in a 3.2 (ala a certain person's vid on this forum!) and using the gears is about 10 seconds. In a TDI it's 20+seconds. Sod 5/6th gear, and forget the TDI when comparing.

Yes the TDI would keep up if all you had was 5th and 6th gears. But there are another 4 gears, and I don't see how you can remotely prevent a 3.2/2.0T owner from using them!

If you are going to do lots of town driving, then the 2.0T is a better option as it will behave like a normal 2.0FSI while the 3.2 continues to use all 6 cylinders and drain your wallet. But if mainly driving out of town, there is much less of a mpg difference (if you are going to use the horses) and I'd opt for the 3.2. The 2.0T sounds good, but the 3.2 is out of this world!

Thing is if you like a quick nice car and you buy either the 2.0TDI or the 2.0T and you could have afforded the 3.2
then every time you see the 3.2 badge on the back of an A3 you'll think "I wish I'd bought one of those"

Thats what really made my mind up, and its nice to have the best isnt it? Do you really want second best?

Until of course the S3 comes out and it'll be i wish i bought one of them....

And then, until of course the RS3 comes out and it'll be i wish i bought one of them....

You can have your RS3 today... But it will be from a tuning firm and won't have a warranty.

OK, so we don't know whether the S3 will be a four or six-pot, well:

If it's TFSI based then I wouldn't want one.

If it's VR6 based then I would.

But TODAY, you can have either a supercharger, single-turbo or twin-turbo VR6. 350, 400 or 450 hp.

And if forced-induction isn't your cup of tea, there's a firm that bores out our 3.2s to 3.4L and go all the way to 310 hp.

I'm just *afraid* that Audi will make an S3 out of a TFSI. Which won't ever have the sound, and magic of the VR6.

But it just wouldn't be as special as the audi finished product. Just as having a suped up A6 to say an RS6.

I was in Germany yesterday and was told that the S3 had been announced andthat ABT were going to build it for Audi. Not sure of any more detail

Did see a new 3 series on test and a bunch of new Merc A classes though.

I've driven both the 3.2 and the 2.0T, and in my opinion it's all down to they way you drive. The 3.2 always wants to be driven, it's harsh in first gear, and braking is harder too thanks to the bigger front brake disk. where as the 2.0T can be driven normally around town without having to constantly being held back from pushing the car infront.

But then again there's things such as the sound of the V6 that are really nice, and the fact that you have power below 2000rpm, so you never fall out of the turbo by being just one gear to high in town when you want to overtake.

Both have their respective plus and minus points, its really up to you to choose what is more your style.

the new S3 will be a 2.0T because it will be the same as the old model, with the RS3 being the 3.2 model.

won't it just be the same as only car manufactures like merc's?

old E class AMG 55 and the new E class AMG 55 have the same engine(maybe different bhp) but in general same engine
if u get what i am talking about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Armand said:
the new S3 will be a 2.0T because it will be the same as the old model, with the RS3 being the 3.2 model.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are't making an RS3. Audi's head of design has said that the RS models will only be A4 & A6 based. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'd heard that Audi apparently put out a statement saying that they were abandoning all RS models in favour 'lighter' cars... Not sure what that's all about.

funny you mention the noise (or sound) as letting the car down.
everyone else who's test driven one said the sound was great...

[ QUOTE ]
Eeef said:
I'd heard that Audi apparently put out a statement saying that they were abandoning all RS models in favour 'lighter' cars... Not sure what that's all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead they will probably call it the R-line as the more aggressive brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:

Revo reckon the DSG can take extra power? Loads of others saying this isn't the case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Revo haven't even started work on the 2.0T yet. I've gone for the Quattro as opposed to the DSG specifically for tuning friendliness.

RE: the 3.2 engine sound, it may sound good, but not as good as it should! EVO magazine (issue 075 i think) carries a specific article about how on earth AUDI managed to spoil such a fine engine.

RE: DSG - My brother runs his own business building race cars, mainly VW/Audi. He also works with Revo.

Apparently when racing golfs with the 4motion system, (Haldex part time 4wd, same as S3, TT, A3Q etc), the first thing to overheat & fail was the rear drive clutch and at much less torque than 320lbft (the supposed DSG torque limit)!!

Mind you, this is racing - not day to day use.

Also Revo are (alledgedly) on with trying to suss the latest generation of ECU on the 2.0T (used on other models too) so fingers crossed. They want to do a proper job (not a superchips job)

Watch this space.

Mike

VF engineering, based in California, and which started in Europe as Z-engineering, is selling a supercharger for the R32.

They bought and shipped an A3 3.2 and are developing a paxton-based supercharger system for that car. I believe NS racing will be their British rep.

HGP turbos look sooooooo nice, but they are outside of my budget.