S3 Steering Knock

greg1903

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the cause of the steering knock in an S3 is?

It's something that my motors had from new, I just thought it was to do with the speed dependant steering. It's become more frequent recently and at my last service a couple of weeks ago, they recommended I have it looked at.

Cars booked in for next week, so should be sorted under the warranty.

Just interested to know if anyone knows what the root cause is, or could direct me to a thread where this has been covered before.

Not sure on the cause but I had mine replaced under warranty. It was knocking at a a certain point from lock to lock every time you did it. Dealer tried to blame the weight of the engine at first but I wasn't having any of it. Sorted now. Also had a a new clutch and fly wheel replaced weeks later under warranty :yes:

I had a knock but it was coming from inside the cabin. Turned out to be a faulty steering column!

Had it replaced under warranty, no problems since!

I had a knock on my steering too. Its not an S3 though, its a 2.0T.
Anyway, had it replaced with a modified rack. Audi are aware of the problem of knocking racks and have released a modified version.

There is also a possible fix for some knocking racks, some sort of redesigned clamp which replaces one of the original ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't on mine, hence the rack replacement.

What kind of knock are you getting??? Is it only when rocking the steering wheel from side to side at slow speeds and stationary? Or is it when going over bumps??

Yip, new steering rack required. They didn't have the parts in stock so it has to go in AGAIN.

I had a knock on my steering too. Its not an S3 though, its a 2.0T.
Anyway, had it replaced with a modified rack. Audi are aware of the problem of knocking racks and have released a modified version.

There is also a possible fix for some knocking racks, some sort of redesigned clamp which replaces one of the original ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't on mine, hence the rack replacement.

What kind of knock are you getting??? Is it only when rocking the steering wheel from side to side at slow speeds and stationary? Or is it when going over bumps??

ads i know this is a holy thread revival but today i noticed when i parked up and moved my steering from side to side i had a slight knocking? Do i need to replace the steering rack?

UH oh, thing is it doesnt do it when im turning and the car is in motion or over any speed bumps, its just a slight knock when its parked up and im turning side to side.

ads i know this is a holy thread revival but today i noticed when i parked up and moved my steering from side to side i had a slight knocking? Do i need to replace the steering rack?

It depends really. When mine was knocking I sat in LOADS of other A3s and rocked the steering. Pretty much all of them made a very very slight 'knocking' noise, but mine was definitely worse than others and loud enough to hear over my music if it wasn't turned up too loud.

Its hard to say if I think you should have it looked at or replaced without hearing it.
Also, its pretty hard for Audi or whoever to diagnose the problem. On mine they had to test all of the front suspension to rule them out. The rack itself is hard to test for noises.

UH oh, thing is it doesnt do it when im turning and the car is in motion or over any speed bumps, its just a slight knock when its parked up and im turning side to side.

That is the same as mine was. Nothing when in motion, but noise when parked up.

It depends really. When mine was knocking I sat in LOADS of other A3s and rocked the steering. Pretty much all of them made a very very slight 'knocking' noise, but mine was definitely worse than others and loud enough to hear over my music if it wasn't turned up too loud.

Its hard to say if I think you should have it looked at or replaced without hearing it.
Also, its pretty hard for Audi or whoever to diagnose the problem. On mine they had to test all of the front suspension to rule them out. The rack itself is hard to test for noises.

That is the same as mine was. Nothing when in motion, but noise when parked up.

LOL marvellous ill just wait till the wheels fall off! I think its fine its not to loud but you can hear it when music is off, Ill get my springs and top mounts done also my first MOT due soon so they should pick up any other suspension faults if there are any.

Digging up an old thread, sorry boys...

This happened to me yesterday. Sounds like it's coming from by my feet, right at the base of the steering column. Took it up to Storm today, when the groaning/knocking/creaking is going on, you can see the rack moving (not the moving it should do btw) when you look down through the engine bay.

New one ordered.

Worth speaking to Audi you think? Car is a 56 reg, lowered, revo'd, miltek'd, different wheels etc etc. I assume they'd just tell me to GTFO?

Cheers

Paul

Rang Audi Reading who offered me £150 trade in and the new rack for £850+VAT.

Rang Newbury Audi who didn't offer me a trade in and the new rack for £900+VAT.

Storm got a new rack for me from TPS with a trade in for £737+VAT.

Being fitted today.

Oh and Audi UK Customer services had no knowledge of any recalls/problems with the rack.

Gutted in all honesty, Car is 5 years old and only done 42k miles.

If you had tasked a dealer with the issue instead of just the part price, you may have got goodwill given 42k & 5 years old.

Maybe so, but in all honesty they would have done what dealers always do, take one look at it, see it's modified and put it down to that. I've been there before with both Newbury Audi, Newbury Seat and Reading Audi.

It's all fixed now so I've put it behind me and will work to paying it off my credit card!!