FAO: Mountain Bikers

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
Is there anything I can get to protect all of the interior when transporting a muddy mountain bike? Whether it's oem or aftermarket?

Or a bike rack the only way to go?

Cheers

you can buy the OEM boot liners... but they only line the boot so not your back seats when there down...

jave you not thought maybe a plastic sheet will do the trick?

you can buy the OEM boot liners... but they only line the boot so not your back seats when there down...

jave you not thought maybe a plastic sheet will do the trick?

Boot liner sounds good... might get one anyway just for some all year round protection.

What about bike racks - does anyone have any good ones to recommend?

a roll of heavy duty polythene will be the best job.

I have the boot liner, in mine at the minute. Its ok but they are made from foam so and oil/grease will absorb into it.

i'd also be interesting in any decent bike rack for my A3....

If you have a Sportback with roof rails, then the Audi roof bars, plus any bike rack ( I use Thule ones ) work perfectly.

I use Thule racks with the Proride 591 bike racks. The footpacks for the SB with rails fits fantastically. The footpacks for the 3 door are pretty good too. If you dont fancy fitting a rack on the roof, you might consider a remeovable towbar with one of Thule's towbar mounted setups (2, 3 and 4 bike IIRC) Not dead cheap but really well put together.

I have a 3dr and got myself some genuine audi roof bars from ebay and I have two landrover bike racks same as the thule ones which i pop my mountain bike on works a treat. When I've got it on next I'll post a pic, but was the way forward as no matter how well you line the inside some water or muck always finds its way in!!!

I have a Sportback with roof rails - I use Thule Aero bars and a Thule fork-secured bike rack. I think the whole set up was cheaper than an Audi version.

I also have the boot liner, which has been really useful for general family duties such as transporting a dirty pram.

You can quite easily put two or three bikes into the back of a Sportback (or on a boot-mounted rack), but it really is much more civilised to go onto the roof.

I Just have a Halfords bike rack nothing amazing, I did however put a bit of extra padding on using some foam I had knocking about just to make sure there was no chance of scuffs. I've only had 2 bikes on it no prob however I do remove the front wheels (quick release) so the bikes dont over hang to much as I wouldn't want any numpty to clip them etc. the removed front wheels were also mounted on the bike rack as I had a full boot plus I don't wanna scratch my audio :)

i put in a sheet of plastic i have also have got the boot liner but it only goes so far so a sheet is the best way apart from a bike rack obvoiusly , i was supprised my car easy swollowed my bike no probs

They are a bit pricey but they are very good. We use his tourer for going surfing so all kinds of salt water, sand and **** soaked wetsuits get thrown in as well as a dog and it keeps every inch of the boot and back seats spotless.

I plan on getting one for my sportback.

Thule with roof bars all the way. I also use two very thick removals blankets in the back when I can't be ***** to put the bars on.