Shell V-Power in a 3.2

jon208

Reaction score
Good idea or massive waste of money?

Have been giving it a try but not really noticed any great difference. A few BHP increase in that engine isn't really going to be noticeable in day to day driving is it? Hasn't really altered economy either.

Interested to hear the thoughts/experiences of others - not just 3.2 owners.

Jon

I think it takes about 4 tank fulls to start increasing economy ... or so i've heard

as for massive waste of money, at my local Shell it costs £1.50 more per tank to fill with V-Power. it costs me roughly £0.14/mile so if i get an extra 11 miles to the tank i'm even. I don't know what i'd get but my mate gets about an extra 30 miles out of a tank so its actually £1.50 less

Work it out for your car

I actually swear by super now, its makes for better mpg and gives me a better top end when compared...however as mines turbo the engine characteristics will be different so i'd personally isolate your query to 3.2 owners if i were you....either that or create yourself a test bed on a nice stretch of road, spend a month n hit what speed you can by a certain point, change fuels and wait 2 weeks then do the test again - ball ache but only way i found as people opinions are so conflicting

Last edited by a moderator:
In a normally aspirated car,I really wouldn't bother.

On a tuned turbo engine,it's almost essential.

In a normally aspirated car,I really wouldn't bother.

On a tuned turbo engine,it's almost essential.

This... Higher Octane fuel is more noticeable with forced induction, even then you need to have a highly tuned car to notice any benefits in terms of BHP,

on the other hand i would say it is worth using it for the fact that it offers better cleaning and protection of the engine, Shell puts its premium additive packages into V-power, Which is much better than any "off the shelf" fuel enhancers you can buy (such as red-x) plus you can guarantee it has been properley mixed,

It will offer better efficiency after a few tanks and better engine cleaning,

Don't waste tanks of the more expensive v-power fuel by waiting for your ECU to adapt to it; reset your ECU (i.e. disconnect your battery for 20mins) to get the benefits (if any) immediately.

The additives that are in v-power basically clean and lubricate the engine for better efficiency. Therefore you will only notice improvement in MPG in an engine which had lots of soot around the injectors

The way the price of petrol is going lm going to invest in a flux capacitor

jon
I wondered the same as you some time back and did a test on several runs on a Dyno over 5 weeks. you will consistently get 10-12 bhp more with Tesco 99 ron as opposed to 95ron. That said it equates to less than 5% so its not really going to notice. My car was running at 252bhp with 99 ron so thats about 8 bhp down on a stock S3 or 3%. Personally i think its a waste of money and you will not find MPG improves either. I only use Tesco and i did a plug change after 20k miles last month and they were perfect so dont take any notice about Tesco being crap fuel. it works fine for me with no sooting or misfiring. Save yourself some dosh mate :).

this was my conclusion
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/84486-3-2-remap-truth-out.html

Last edited:
As for the original question. I've tried it numerous times on different cars and tbh can't tell the difference. The only car I did have which did made a difference was my old LCR that was remapped accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I've tried it numerous times on different cars and tbh can't tell the difference. The only car I did have which did make a difference was my old LCR that was remapped accordingly."

:huh:
Sorry but i totally disagree with the above comment. EVERY car ive ever had owned ran better / faster / improved mpg on 99v-max...

This includes a good few mk1 golf GTi's, old XR2's, a 1.8t sport a3, a 1.8t quattro a3 and my S3.....all run way better on 99 rather than normal 95 ron fuel....

Its the truth.:arco:

Sometimes you guys ...... :shutup2:

I was about to make a thread on this, here are my results so far.

Shell V Power since Sept 10 to April 2011:

Average 200-230 miles a tank / 180 when being a bit well you know..

About 69-74 a tank for me, filling up at least once a week. Think I spent so much, I've had about 15 pound of vouchers from the v power club membership.

I haven't noticed anything, and to confirm that I met up with an R32 using standard fuel since start. I had no advantage at all...so much for "you lose 15bhp on 95ron".

Over the last two weeks I have been using shell fuel saver, still feels the same performance and surprisingly getting 230-280 a tank and its all town driving.

I wouldn't bother unless you want to pay the extra and maybe you go track racing etc. I declare myself out of the v power club, I dont buy this clean your engine make it live longer stuff.

If I get a Ferrari or a Lambourgihni (sp) and do some winner decided by the millisecond racing then I would see the value.

:asskicking:

I've just tidied the personal insults out of this thread, I appreciate we don't all see eye to eye on here but if you can't be civil then please don't say anything at all!

I've moved it back to allow the OP's question to be debated.

cheers James....it would have a got a lot further out of control if you hadn't stepped in

sorry to the OP

I have used V Power and Optimax before it and noticed better responsiveness and fuel economy in my old 1.6. Don't have any rolling road figures like paddy, but when I went abroad for a couple of months my parents were running my car and filling it with regular 95RON and when I came back I thought something was wrong with my car. Make of that what you will!

In my 2.0T I use either V Power or Momentum. It feels less responsive with regular fuels and I so get marginal gains in fuel economy. It's only about £3 more to fill a tank with the higher RON fuels which is not exactly very much and if I get more enjoyment out of it I think it's worth it. There was an article somewhere that demonstrated marginal gains in fuel economy with the "super fuels" and that's just a bit of a bonus I think

This... Higher Octane fuel is more noticeable with forced induction, even then you need to have a highly tuned car to notice any benefits in terms of BHP,

on the other hand i would say it is worth using it for the fact that it offers better cleaning and protection of the engine, Shell puts its premium additive packages into V-power, Which is much better than any "off the shelf" fuel enhancers you can buy (such as red-x) plus you can guarantee it has been properley mixed,

It will offer better efficiency after a few tanks and better engine cleaning,

I agree that premium quality fuels are very likely to have better detergent packages than cheaper brands,and that's a worthwhile consideration on it's own.

On your other point,whereas you do need a level of tuning to find the benefits with higher octane fuels and forced induction,what it does allow is the use of higher sustained boost levels,even with relatively low boost levels in hotter conditions.

My own car isn't a good example for that,as it is pretty highly tuned.

When I had a 3.2 A3,i can't say I noticed any real benefits over good quality 95RON fuels,but there is no doubt the V6 does sound nice.