Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport

Thread: boost leak

4th Gear

Status

boost leak

hi, just had my car remapped last week and it was making a whistling noise as the turbo spools from about 3-4.5 k revs.

I thought this was the DV so changed it for the latest OEM update but the whistle is still there.

I wondered if there was a common place for a leak to occur or has anyone had the same problem?

Cheers

Ollie
    8P S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    i guess its not that common then? I will investigate and see what i can find
    8P S3

4th Gear

Status
    Do you have a cai?

4th Gear

Status
    no, just the standard air box
    8P S3

4th Gear

Status
    if there was a leak you would be feeling it in the performance of the car. l say its normal. mines has went through a few changes with different sounds coming ot of them. but in saying that most of mine came from the cai or n75.

Meant to add. What are you driving.

4th Gear

Status
    ive got a 56 S3 had it mapped last week and from the first drive i noticed it. it didnt make the expeceted figure on the dyno and I put it down to a boost leak because of the noise. I got the DV changed for the newest OEM one as I thought that was the likley cause as i thought it would be an early one. When I say whistle, I mean like one of those kettles would make when boiling not the woosh/suck of the turbo. does yours do that?
    8P S3

4th Gear

Status
    I chaned an O ring in the boost piping and tightend all the clips but its still doing it. Cant see any holes although its pretty unlikley id see it if it were a small hole.

So unless i can find a leak (have to it pressure tested) it looks like it might be on the vacume side.

Is anyone else running the stock airbox with a stage one map?
    8P S3

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    maybe your PCV is failing?
    found my boost leak there.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

4th Gear

Status
    Hi, just done a web search and its saying its a good idea to change the valve every 30,000 miles, mines done 40,000 so that would sound very possible.

Where abouts would i find the PVC valve
    8P S3

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    it will probably fail again. go for a catch tank (Forge or BSH) or for a PCV delete plate (BSH). i would recomend catch tank as you'll do something good for your engine.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...