A change of steering wheel?

TimG

Reaction score
If there is one thing that makes my car feel dated its the steering wheel ... the same style that Ive had in all my Audi's since as far back as I can remember! I really wanted a post 2005 car so I got the updated wheel with the square airbag just as it made the cabin feel a lot more modern, but ended up buying a 2004 car, doh!

I assume they are a direct swap? Just had a look on ebay and the wheels arent that expensive, but the airbags are a killer!

Anyone else changed their wheel for something different that can offer any comment?

Loads of people have changed to flat bottom multi function wheel so im sure someone will be on offerin there square airbag wheel at some point

you can swap them, but your airbag WONT work as the older style is a single stage and the newer ones are duel stage airbags

Alcantara RS6 Steering Wheel for the Kill:

DSC09265.jpg

DSC09270.jpg

But yes the old one is DATED, it hurts my eyes :laugh:

:hubbahubba: N8 I hate you, I hope that fancy airbag goes off & hits you in the face ... :laugh:

So I'm stuck with it then ... If I swap it the airbag wont work, great!

So I'm stuck with it then ... If I swap it the airbag wont work, great!

there is a company that say they can rewire it so it will work, they are called hazzydayz but personally i wouldnt want to risk it, as you wont know its worked till you rely on it

there is a company that say they can rewire it so it will work, they are called hazzydayz but personally i wouldnt want to risk it, as you wont know its worked till you rely on it

Their name doesnt inspire confidence in something so important :laugh:

N8s isn't just flat bottom alcantara it a ****** RS6 one as well soooooo much nicer than normal a3 flat bottom! JEALOUS is definitely the word!!!

I have researched & sure I can update the airbag system to be dual stage, so effectively older single stage cars can use dual stage systems, I checked & allot of parts are shared, but airbag controller is different & needs rewiring & of course wheel/airbag.

I actually have 2 wheels with airbags for sale, 1 manual & no mfsw & 1 dsg with mfsw bnib.

I have researched & sure I can update the airbag system to be dual stage, so effectively older single stage cars can use dual stage systems, I checked & allot of parts are shared, but airbag controller is different & needs rewiring & of course wheel/airbag.

I actually have 2 wheels with airbags for sale, 1 manual & no mfsw & 1 dsg with mfsw bnib.

And I have two multifunction wheels without airbags and without dsg !!!

That just about covers it all except for fbmfsw I think !!!

Stupid thing is I got a wheel etc in part payment for some work, lmfao sods law mate.

Just to revisit this topic ... Would a Mk4 Golf R32 Wheel A) fit and B) be a single stage airbag unit? Just trying to think of wheels that will be a direct swap with mine.

Mines a '53' Jan 2004 car btw.

You'd need to verify single stage via the wiring schematics for that chassis, but I suspect it would be as the 8P 03-04 used same airbag as single stage 8L, B5, B6 etc that were all of that same era, possibly even the mk5 originals were single, but need to check tbh as not sure if I'm honest.

You got a picture of the wheel with no mfsw NHN? and price please

can you fit the dsg paddles off a 2005 wheel onto a mfsw or do I need a dsg msfw?

If the wheel doesnt have dsg already, it would be a mission to make them fit trust me, just get another wheel with paddles attached.