AH FabricationsBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Brake Caliper and rear hub pic request

I've got 11 days off over the bank holiday weekends so thought I'd get some things done to the car.

Just wondered if anyone has some photos of their calipers, I'm torn between Black or Silver? just want the subtle clean finish rather than the rusty hubs and grubby calipers.

Cheers in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm in the same boat. Got a full week off coming up and plan on doing this job along with a few others. I went for black calipers and silver hubs on the BMW e90 that I've just traded. I was going to do the hubs black as well but as I planned to fit spacers, silver made more sense to match the spacers.

I think i'll be going all black on my red A3 though as I won't be fitting spacers and will be doing black grill and anthracite wheels. I don't really want to draw attention to hubs or smallish brakes.

Meow.

Status
    Black.

Anything else is a nightmare to clean.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah am swaying towards black as well, subtle and perhaps put a small S Line decal on it, want some photos to make my mind up though

Neutral

Status
    I'm currently painting mine, decided to go for black calipers and hubs, will try and take some photos today and put them up. Also thinking of putting some white audi-ring decals on but not sure yet.

Neutral

Status
    Ok great, cheers

Neutral

Status
    Ok here's some photos...

Front

Close-up of the caliper with audi-ring decal - really pleased with how it looks

Rear hub and caliper

Close-up of the rear hub

Rear

Really pleased with how they look, lot of hard work but definitely worth it!

Neutral

Status
    looks really good mate, think i've made my mind up.

out of interest what paint did you use?

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    I’ve used smooth Hammerite in the past for the hub, but it always peels/bubbles after 8-12 months. Think it’s the high temps. Anyone recommend something better?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B-J-P View Post
    looks really good mate, think i've made my mind up.

out of interest what paint did you use?
    Hammerite Smooth metal paint. Yeah I think black is best, works well with the white decals too.

Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    I’ve used smooth Hammerite in the past for the hub, but it always peels/bubbles after 8-12 months. Think it’s the high temps. Anyone recommend something better?
    Not heard about this happening, the guides i've read used the Hammerite paint.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've used hammerite or smoothrite (the smooth version) on 3 cars and have never had it bubble. You're driving too fast and braking too hard

5th Gear

Status
    Have used Halfrauds caliper paint before and had no probs with it. Never had a problem with Hammerite either though

Neutral

Status
    Anymore pics anyone, be interested to have something to compare it with in silver or even body coloured ?

Neutral

Status
    I did mine in hammerite black, 500ml offf ebay for Ł7, i also did the metal protector around the disc, and the outside of the discs as mine are fairly new.

Looks really nice, just nice and clean really, i reccomend black!

oh and the hammerite is easy to use, no surface prep needed

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1inchpunch View Post
    I've used hammerite or smoothrite (the smooth version) on 3 cars and have never had it bubble. You're driving too fast and braking too hard
    Lol, maybe I am!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!