Xenon and Bi-Xenon... differences?

ok thanks for that... so once i get past the wiper motor should it be apparent where the cable goes to get it to the module?
I will probably have a go at this tomorrow and see if i can complete the full install... And im useless with taking pics but i will try and see if i can get some while i am doing it.

Also i installed some HID's into my fogs last night... Pic quality isnt great from iPhone...

sidelights and foglights on:
5b78e742.jpg

With just the headlights on:
cd493906.jpg

With just fog lights on:
67f444fc.jpg

Both headlights and Fog lights:
a2c12d40.jpg

hard to tell diff between fog & reg light's color and brightness, since the camera changed the WB and exposure. Best to set exposure and WB manually so it could be reference between pix.

And those fogs seems to be dazzling, no?

I'l try and get some better pics, the fogs are not dazzling, its the camera that is picking up the light wrong... iPhone cameras aren't as great as they make out to be.
Might play a bit more with the level setting on the fogs to see if it can be pointed out across the road more but need to do a proper road test.

Hi guys, trying to install the bi-xenoms now but I am stuck on wiring in the kufa wires to plug a & d in pins 3 as there is something already in there... I know that someone mentioned that these connectors are useless in halogen headlights and can be disconnected but how the hell do I get it out? Nigel said that I need a special tool which I don't have so just wonderig what else I could use to get the wires out?

My advice was you need a special tool so you dont damage the connector housing, also advised if you had a thin piece of metal like a needle shape but thicker/robust then you could dislodge the locator lugs the pin ends have to hold them in place, dont try pulling them out without 1st removing the plastic locking mechanism the connector has & 2nd dislodging these lugs as you risk broken wires & cocking up the housing.

Thanks Nigel... I think u just paniced when I saw the pins in there and wasn't sure how to get them out... I was very patient with the needle and it just slotted out once I had pushed the locator lug

ok so i have completed the install and it all looks like it worked perfectly!

i have Mtec chrome DRL always on with engine.
LED side lights
8000k bi-xenon dipped and high beam
8000k xenon fog lights

I tried taking some pictures but its so sunny that you can't really see the bulbs properly. I'll try and get some night shots later.

DRL:
1f2c982f.jpg

DRL closeup:
5c3fb303.jpg

Xenon dipped:
e104281b.jpg

Xenon close up with sidelight:
6a9d6bad.jpg

6eafd437.jpg

No blue in DRL bulb when off:
9e02a7f3.jpg

Now that i have done the job i can say its actually not that hard... took my about 3 and half hours for the kufa wires, taking off bumper and old headlights, fitting new headlights and securing ballasts for fog lights, putting it all back together and finally coding.

Out of interest, with Bi-xenons - what happens when you just pull the light stalk towards you with the lights off? Admittedly i havent finished fitting mine due to lack of module, but when I pull the stalk it just flicks the shutter. Not too handy when i was trying to flash a car out of a junction LOL

When coded/wired correctly this flashes the headlights as per norm.

Well done mate, where did you stick the DRL wires?

I followed the instructions on the Kufa wires, the gray wires were labelled which plug and pin to wire them into so i just followed that.
I think the shutters are Plug A pin 5 and Plug D pin 6. and the DRL goes into pin 3 on both plugs A and D.

There was a wire in pin 3 in both plug A and D which from unplugging it the car gave me errors on no dippped lights. I know that DRL can be configured on VCDS even if you have halogen headlights and that activates the dipped beam constantly on as a DRL would, so i guess that is why pin 3 is taken.

I used a needle to unhook the wires in pin 3 and once they were out the new wires went in fine. I would recommend that you get the special tool that unlocks the wires first but as i went in blind and wanted to finish the job i just decided to go ahead and unlock them. I did need to clear all the faults after i coded the Bi-xenon headlights, as it wasn't clearing itself.

I also fitted the Auto lights switch which is in preparation to the auto lights/rain sensor that i will be installing soon.

Now i have:
pull indicator stalk: Xenon Flash (as normal halogens)
push indicator stalk: High beam xenon
lights switch off: DRL light on ( set to front only on VCDS - Rear lights are off)
auto light position on light switch: dipped beam and sidelights (does not turn off in daytime as no sensor is installed)
Sidelights on light switch: LED Sidelights
dipped beam on light switch: dipped beam with sidelights

I will try to write up a guide and include pictures where i have taken them.

thanks
Ash

Reactions: ~RS~
Glad it was fairly easy for you mate :) Mine has been a pita but mainly due to not being sure what is in plug a's pin 3 and plug d's pin 3. Should have just took the plunge as you have!
But have since found these are high/main beam wires and bi xenons release the shutter to flash. So this should not be needed as there is no mian/ high beam on bi xenons. I was worried when I stuck my DRL wires into those pins that when flashing on coming traffic the DRL's may also flash as would be wired into those pins, but from what you have said it seems coding sorts that out.

Good work bro! Saved a few quid there for sure ;)

BTW - Did you find out what module you had out of interest?

Last edited:
Yeh i have an F in my car and i knew it had all the options for Bi-Xenon as i had played with those before.

Pin 3 on both A and D as far as i am aware is for DRL. If i knew this before and had more of an idea on how to wire it up i would have rewired pin 3 to the sidelights and enabled DRL on VCDS then got some nice aftermarket LED lights and then the sidelight LED's on them would have worked as a DRL... but hey OEM still looks nice so im pleased with how it has turned out.

Take the plunge and wire it up in pin 3 (use the right tool to remove the existing wires), make sure you code it to work properly with the xenons and DRLs and then after you have finished coding clear the errors. I found that the rewire of pin 3 throws off the coding on halogens and the faults don't clear properly.

Yer I'm gonna have a stab at it today, but mine is a lil more complicated due to upgrading the central electrics module. Pin wise it should be exactly the same as you have done, but I think I may need to move the fuses about a bit as well as clearing the current coding and then re-add as my old coding from old module, finally change the options to suit new lights etc.

I don't have the pin removal tools (although gonna order some today from ebay) I will try with the needle or paper clip as I need these done like yesterday! lol... Impatience ay...

Edit> I forgot to say they look great pal :)

can you give me a link to the pin removal tool you are getting, i want to invest in it as i know i will be using it again soon enough (auto lights and rain sensor install)

Thanks for sayign it looks great... was waiting on someone to comment :ninja:

Im sure NHN looked into fitting high beam assist but its not simple & requires upgrading the CE module to the new facelift style....

Oh yes believe me this isnt no small mod either.

Hey what's up itwasntme187, took the plunge earlier... here's the result (excuse crappy phone pic)

IMG-20110509-00505.jpg

Cheers for the push :)

Thats wicked bro! now you have finally got those DRL's on! is everything else working the way it should do? I bet you are well relieved! looks good!! :wub:

Thanks a lot mate, much appreciated :)

Yer everything is working pretty much as it should, no errors either which was nice.... onto the other mods now just like you lol!