2 weird problems with my car!

mrmchammer

Reaction score
just wondered if anyone has seen either of these two issues before... Ive been searching but no avail.. feeling a bit knarked today as someone reversed into me in car park... anyway

They are for a s3 8p new shape

issue 1: Ive got the automatic door locking function switched on, this works fine and auto locks the doors of the car once the speed reaches 10-15 mph. The only thing is that if/when my speed drops below that speed again, and the rises the drivers side door relocks itself. so if im stuck in traffic the door keeps relocking over and over. The lock works fine on its own etc but seems not to realise its already locked.

issue 2: The auto rain sensors and the auto on headlights dont work. The auto option just turns on the lights, the rain sensor option doesnt do anything. I think its the same module but i just wondered if anyone has seen this before?

cheers!

How old is the car buddy? Have you just bought it and noticed these issues?

Yeah is quite newly bought but was a trader so doubt they'll help...

was just you mentioned new shape? I was thinking it would be under audi warranty

Nope it's a 57 but must have just got new shape, so no warranty

For the wipers, the wiper stalk needs to be in the first position (what would normally be the slow wipe on a car without sensors). It may well be that you've got them in the off position. You can adjust the sensitivity with the little lever that's on the front of the stalk.

Can't help with the lock i'm afraid

Maybe get the car scanned on VCDS to see if there are any errors with the auto locking... or maybe reset it (turn the option off and back on again)??

I'd say that there is possibly a problem with the drivers door lock and it isn't getting the feedback to confirm that the door is locked, so when you hit 15KMH it is assuming that you have opened the drivers door and so locks it again.

VCDS is what you need as you can usually check the microswitches in measuring blocks of the module.

Paul

As per Sub ref the rain sensor issue & door lock as per Paul, the lock/microswitches get gunged up as such & causes the sensors to be wrongly detected in positions, ideally need to scan, but lock needs first spraying with wd40 & manually move lock back & forth to loosen up, removing any build up of dirt, if this fails then removal of lock & take apart to clean, if this still doesnt help then replacement lock would be my 1st port if scan shows nothing else.

Cheers guys, ill have a look at the lock, are their any guides on taking the locks out of the door at all? Apart from scan on sensors not sure what else to do about rain sensor/lighting sensor... the stalk is in the right position :)

Scan car 1st then comeback, as we're trying to see in the dark as such.

Lock, well tbh its a tricky fixing to the door cylinder as it has a plastic tab that locates into a slot in the door lock, there is a method to do this.

I can look at both for you if interested, but of course location & cost come into this, but I have experience with these things.

Right I've done a scan and get the following

46 central conv

1 fault found
00955 - key 1
005 no or incorrect basic settings/ adaptation intermittent
Component keg h100080

42 driver elect, driver

1 fault found
013030 - central locking key switch, driver side, lock
008 implausible signal*

Where shall I scan for the rain sensor and lights? Could find out where that might be in vcds? I've turn off door lock option and back on again but to no avail

The previous owner might have changed the relay for the auto wipers for a standard one, we did this on our old R32 as the auto wipers was annoying so we replaced the relay controller for a standard one.

Show me a pic of your mirror front & back & of the windscreen from exterior to see whats fitted.

NHN as requested, here are the pictures. I've popped off the cover and the wires are all connected up there seems to be 2 bits ive also popped out the roof lights and the wires go off down to the passenger side of the car. It would be something as simples as blown fuses?!

From this link http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...ights-always-auto-dim-mirror-not-working.html part way down it says this

From Ross-Tech web site:

01800 - Light Switch (E1): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

Parking Light Status Lamp (in Instrument Cluster) stuck ON
Self Dimming Rear View Mirror not working
Possible Causes

Light Switch (E1) faulty (or switched to an intermediate position)
Wiring/Connectors from/to Light Switch (E1) faulty
Possible Solutions

Check Light Switch (E1)
See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Light Switch (E1)
Special Notes

When found in Audi A3/S3 (8P): Central Electronics, check Light Switch Status in Measuring Value Block (MVB) 017 and 018.
When found in Audi A4/S4/RS4/Cabriolet (8E/8H): Central Electronics, check Light Switch Status in Measuring Value Block (MVB) 006.1.

Does anyone know where on rosstech is says what I should change? Mvb 017 018? I don't know what they mean!!

Found the section in vcds in cent electrics it was on already, turned off then on again in tick options but no difference

Me again...! Could it be door modules? I think they have ecu for control over door locking function (after speeds over 10mph, and potentially light and rain sensor?) just a thought?

Sorry been under it & sick as a pig with comms issues aswell, anyway you've got the full light/sensor pack so thats not an issue, now the door lock issue I suspect is a dirty lock & has clogged a microswitch, get some wd40 in there & work it back & forth & test the locking system manually see if the dis shows door shut or not, if this fails to fix, remove door lock & open/check the internal mechanics & give it a good clean & check microswitches go in/out easily, if this still isnt obvious then try replacing the door module & coding the car (I have some modules available if needed).

The light sensor issue could very well be headlight switch, but remove the switch, remove all the connectors, make sure no bent pins, no corrosion, anything to create bad contact, then test every function on the headlight switch see if all works, would be good to have another to test with, could buy the newer chrome version for £60 approx to test, but afaik this shouldnt affect the rain sensors as its seperate to the light sensor wiring as one of your pic shows you.

I could offer a load of things to check tbh & maybe faulty, can you show us an autoscan of your car to check coding etc?

Seems odd to me that you have lost auto lights and wipers. Two quite different circuits except for the sensor on the screen which is the common denominator. Thats where i would be looking first but as Nige says a full scan will show the codings and thats the next step.
Anyway to check the screen sensor nige ? I presume its like a light sensor in a camera and puts out a small voltage ?

I cant recall if there was a MB for this circuit shown as a percentage, if I get a chance later I'll check on my car.

cheers for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it!

ill do a full scan of the car and post it here. Ive gone through the diags on the switch with vcds and it does see a difference in switch position ill post what it does here too.

The lock looks quite clean (you mean the slot that engages with the u shaped metal bar on the car? ill give it a really good clean but its not too bad at the moment. Its weird cus the car knows the doors are closed, they lock once over 10 miles an hour but then try to lock again if i drop below the speed and then go over it again. its like its not remembering its already locked the door.