Stage 2+ S3 8P Misfire

Dazzeroo

Reaction score
Hi All,

My car has started misfiring as soon as it comes on boost, should i book the car in with Audi or take it back to Motorwerks in Aberdeen who have done the mods for me?

Audi may not even look at it what with it being modified!!

:)

Possible causes?

Have had a look through some threads..some say coilpacks, plugs, injectors...where to start lol

Chances are it's something like coil packs, spark plugs or the MAF thats failing.
A quick test to help work out where it could be is to unplug the MAF, take it for a blast, if it still misfires then it's the plugs or coilpacks, if not then it's the MAF.
Also what age is your s3 as there have been reported problems with the 8P3's with their exhaust valve springs being weak which audi know about (if it's still misfiring with the MAF unplugged)

Mine turned out to be a faulty injector.

Can you get access to vagcom and monitor the cylinders for misfires?

It would be good to find out if you are misfiring on one cylinder or all?

l would say plugs and coils first. You can get audi to do the coils under warranty. Hopefully its not the valve springs. Audi havent claimed them as a fault yet. Not heard anything about the MAF doing this. But coils and plugs are the cheapest option.

The MAF can cause problems... I know this as that's what was causing the misfire on mine, was misfiring like a pig, cleaned the MAF, problem gone.

Injectors are the other but much less common cause, Steve Jnr of Statller is rebuilding an S3 motor with a holed piston, ran a a GIAC stage 2+ equivalent map with missfire, owner thought it was a minor, overheated and holed a piston due to failed injector!

Apparently, there were misfires on cylinders 1 & 3 so the coilpacks have been replaced. I have not had the oppurtunity to properly test yet but will on the way home from work...re-fuelled at Shell Garage...wait for it...

£77...omg!

Anyone with the injector fault have the codes come up on vagcom?

Mine showed no codes that were specific to the injector. Only codes showing the misfire on the particular cylinder.

If you are only getting the fault on 1 cylinder and u have replaced the coil and plug, I would try the injector next.

Mine is now running spot on since it was changed last week

I had this after Revo stage 1. After heaps of coil packs and injectors Audi replaced my valve springs under warranty. Problem solved for me

go for colder spark plugs. bet old ones are bad.

Car is still running like a bag of ****** nails....aarrrghhhh!

Ok, its not that bad but still misfiring...

Back to the garage!

have you tried disconnecting the maf sensor and seeing if it still missfires?

Where is the MAF sensor....i did take a look but couldnt see it!

Apologies

Where is the MAF sensor....i did take a look but couldnt see it!

Apologies

haha its pretty easy to find, if you look at your CAI its the bit that sticks out towards where it turns down towards the turbo inlet pipe. just unclip it and take for a blast and see what happens

edit:-
this may help

IMG_0247-1.jpg

Last edited:
Any joy with this yet, Dazzeroo? Did you contact Motorwerkz about the probs you're having? I'd have given them the opportunity to sort it out for you first. Hope it gets fixed for you soon, Bud. :)

Paulie.

Any joy with this yet, Dazzeroo? Did you contact Motorwerkz about the probs you're having? I'd have given them the opportunity to sort it out for you first. Hope it gets fixed for you soon, Bud. :)

Paulie.

I'll unclip the MAF sensor at lunch today and take it for a blast. Motorwerks are a good bunch of blokes and have already looked at the car and changed out two of the coil packs but the misfire remains! I'll let you all know how i get on with the MAF sensor...fingers crossed!

Hey presto, removed the MAF sensor and the car runs amazing. I actually cannot believe the difference, it feels like its been remapped again lol!

Presumably then, the MAF itself goosed?

Perhaps there was nothing wrong with the coil packs which were replaced after all?

result!
yea sounds like your MAF is a bit FUBAR get a new one in there and you should be good to roll! think they are about the £137 mark (not cheap!)

Nice one! We're so lucky to have the benefit of the vast technical knowledge the guys on here have. It may not be the cheapest of fixes, having to buy a new MAF and all, but it would be a lot more expensive to get Audi to diagnose and fix the fault. Well done Jungleman and glad it's all better, Dazzeroo :)

Paula x

Yes thanks Jungleman, you always were one of the boys!

One last question where is the MAF located and can I change myself?!!!

Thanks

haha cheers mate ;)

the MAF is the entire section that the plug was clipped in to, its held in by 2 torx screws, so as long as you have a torx set you can whip it out yourself and change it, its 5 min job tops

looks like this once youve pulled it out of your CAI

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Catalog Images/Sensors/ATP_ACS-ELEM_450.jpg

also with the new MAF dont scrimp, get it from a reputable source (NO EBAY lol) as there are lots of knockoff ones kicking around your be left in the same boat a couple months down the line

Nice one, phoned Audi and its ~£130 so will get it done next week...thanks again Jungleman