Joining the Variable Geometry Vane Problem Club (over boosting PD140)

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Carried out some diagnostic tests on the car and I am popping over boost DTCs on a logged full throttle run in 3rd gear. So chances are that the vanes are clogged in my Turbo, so I now have a new gasket, downpipe clamp and an Innotec cleaning kit sitting ready.

Just need to sort out the ramp time with my mate who is a mechanic, whilst it is soaking we are also going to have to change the lower (return) temp sender as that is flagging intermediate fault codes and I also have a new set of boost pipe seals and clips so will change that lot too.

On 75K and original turbo so expected, cleaning kit is a lot cheaper than a recon Turbo so worth a go.

Paul

Are you going to take the turbo apart to clean the vanes or just leave it to soak?

when you get the turbo off disconnect the actuator rod and check to see if the vanes will move freely... and also wether or not the actuator is sticking as the actuator rods can corrode and cause the same problems... Just worth a check!

No it is the Innotec cleaning kit which just requires the downpipe dropping off to clean it. If that doesn't work it will be open up the Turbo at a later date as that will require a new Oil Filter, Oil and my mate recommends a new oil return pipe as that often gets screwed taking it off.

He has cleaned a few up by hand - but we are going to try the Innotec kit first as it is a lot easier and others have had good results with it.

I forgot we also have a new set of front arb drop links to go on to, whilst on the ramp.

Paul

Can you keep us updated on this buddy, as I had a random overboost error a few months ago, and the turbo has quite a bit of chatter, so I'm guessing I have the same problem.

Hope the Innotec kit works for you. Please keep us updated, I got discouraged by a few members on here from using it last year.

Just also ordered a new set of the Forge Boost Pipes for the PD140 which we will replace at the same time with the new seals I bought. Decided after I managed to get 60MPG on a 65MPH cruise the other Evening that I will hang on to the old girl for a while longer.

Will update once done, might even use the cheap digital compact that I keep in the car (in case of an accident) to take some pics of it in progress.

Paul

Hi Mate heard some good reports on the Innotec cleaning kit once its soaked a while move the actuator mechanism back and forth to ensure the vaines are now free. I've a 55 plate and its done 42000miles and I'm on my third turbo luckily Audi paid for them but it does seem a very common issue. Keep us posted on the progress. Cheers

Fantastic service from Forge - ordered the Boost Pipes mid morning and emailed them to see if there was any chance of them being with me in time for when (hopefully) we will have the A3 on the ramps this weekend. Just had a reply confirming that they will be shipped today. :thumbsup:

Paul

As promised my pipes have been dispatched and I have the UPS tracking details.

Thanks Forge :rock:

Paul

Well not going to well as I'm having problems with what sounds like a boost leak, but all hoses have been check and the 3 forge ones fitted. I can hear a hiss of air leak and it is surging at around the 2k mark.

We think that the clean up may have dislodged some junk in the EGR valve.

So Monday I will be ordering the gasket seal and two o-rings so that we can clean up the EGR valve.

On the up side with that out of the way we should be able to get to the return temp sensor and change it at the same time.

I'll keep this posted.

Car is on 75K now so kind of expected - still a pain though.

Paul

Have you tried cleaning the vanes i hear mixed reports on the inotech solution
Im in the same boat but have only gone in to limp mode when im fully loaded

Yes we have cleaned up the vanes using the innotec kit and I now have a new issue as above.

Anyone know if a stuck open EGR will allow boost to leak, that is where the air sounds like it is, but can't find any leaks on any of the boost pipes etc.

The EGR (as far as I know) is the original and done 75K so is probably due a clean anyway.

Paul

I recently stripped my turbo and cleaned the vanes on mine. When put back together i seem to have the same problem as yourself, i was told if i needed to clean the vanes then the EGR will need a clean. Going to sort mine out at the weekend, let me know how you get on.

Well after three hours (including cleaning up the EGR) I now seem to have a happy car again :rockwoot: in the end I found that the boost hose below the IMF hadn't engaged properly and so I had a huge boost leak from there. Removing the IMF and EGR did allow me to change the return coolant temp sender (which has been flagging intermittent errors).

Gave the EGR and IMF a good clean up got through two spray cans of brake cleaner. Once it was all back together took it for a good thrash on the Motorway to try and get it to go into limp mode - with out sucess, so look good on that score too - still managed to ave 41MPG according to the MFD.

So next week or so will give it a good test and report back.

Feels good when you fix it yourself.

Mind Diesels and soot - yuck - was a fair amount in the intake manifold - shame I couldn't keep the car off the road longer otherwise I would have got a gasket and had that off too.

Officially you need to get two new o-rings and a gasket to take the EGR off (which I did) but you could possibly get away with out it. Cost of parts is about £15 retail.

Paul

Thanks for that, i will probably wait a week so i have more time to take the intake manifold off as well, and give it a good clean.

Don't suppose you have the part numbers for the EGR o-rings and gasket?

Not on me - but if I remember I'll get the invoice when I pop home for lunch.

My 2005 2.0 TDi required :-

N909 273 02 Seal RRP £3.59
N909 787 01 Seal RRP £2.59
069 131 547D Gasket RRP £2.09

Plus VAT on all

Paul

Can you keep us updated on this buddy, as I had a random overboost error a few months ago, and the turbo has quite a bit of chatter, so I'm guessing I have the same problem.

Will do but will strip turbo and clean with Innotec cleaner so that it's spanking clean inside.
I have had the engine run on a teraclean system and the car ran like new but the boost problem came back but the engine is still nice and crisp, worth a try, about £90.00 and no smoke when you put your foot down now.
There is a turbo cleaner made by FORTE to mix in the tank, this requires you to tick over the engine for an hour to coat the veins in the turbo and then run on the road at variable revs to free and work loose the coked veins will try but may be not a permanent solution. Don't buy super market diesel as it has to much bio, it was recommended to me to buy only shell nitro as this has no bio.